PDA

View Full Version : Flying Sentinels

Naanomi
2015-01-20, 08:51 PM
When I was working out the details on my 'fully airborn party', I noticed this...

PHB Pg 191: 'If a flying creature is knocked prone, has its speed reduced to 0, or is otherwise deprived of the ability to move, the creature falls, unless it has the ability to hover or it is being held aloft by magic, such as the fly spell'

Wait, what does the Sentinel feat do? PHB Pg 169: 'When you hit a creature with an opportunity attack, the creature's speed becomes 0 for the rest of the turn'

Combine with Polearm Master and swat charging dragons out of the sky!

CrusaderJoe
2015-01-21, 01:12 AM
When I was working out the details on my 'fully airborn party', I noticed this...

PHB Pg 191: 'If a flying creature is knocked prone, has its speed reduced to 0, or is otherwise deprived of the ability to move, the creature falls, unless it has the ability to hover or it is being held aloft by magic, such as the fly spell'

Wait, what does the Sentinel feat do? PHB Pg 169: 'When you hit a creature with an opportunity attack, the creature's speed becomes 0 for the rest of the turn'

Looks that way.

odigity
2015-01-22, 05:24 AM
In tonight's session, we were on a gnomish flying device (hot air balloon attacked to what looks like a flat-bottom ship) when we were attacked by a young white dragon.

When it closed to 40', the Vengeance Paladin used Channel Divinity: Abjure Enemy, who's text is:

"On a failed save, the creature is frightened for 1 minute or until it takes any damage. While frightened, the creature’s speed is 0, and it can’t benefit from any bonus to its speed."

The DM ruled that meant it stopped advancing and instead hovered, since it's speed dropped to 0 from fear, which is not the same as being paralyzed, which we thought was fair.

The Bard then used his Wand of Binding to cast Hold Monster, which landed, and did cause it to plummet into the ocean, taking 20d6 damage because we were both 300' up and at that speed it's pretty much like hitting ground (which caps out at 20d6).

Good times.

Malifice
2015-01-22, 05:35 AM
In tonight's session, we were on a gnomish flying device (hot air balloon attacked to what looks like a flat-bottom ship) when we were attacked by a young white dragon.

When it closed to 40', the Vengeance Paladin used Channel Divinity: Abjure Enemy, who's text is:

"On a failed save, the creature is frightened for 1 minute or until it takes any damage. While frightened, the creature’s speed is 0, and it can’t benefit from any bonus to its speed."

The DM ruled that meant it stopped advancing and instead hovered, since it's speed dropped to 0 from fear, which is not the same as being paralyzed, which we thought was fair.

The Bard then used his Wand of Binding to cast Hold Monster, which landed, and did cause it to plummet into the ocean, taking 20d6 damage because we were both 300' up and at that speed it's pretty much like hitting ground (which caps out at 20d6).

Good times.

Sounds about right. Dragons can hover anyways cant they?

Are dragons able to be paralyzed now?

Bet this dragon wished it was legendary for the multi auto save pass.

Maxilian
2015-01-22, 09:43 AM

Yeah it does look that way, but have in mind that many flying creatures have fly by so they won't provoke oportunity attack (actually there are not that many but have that in mind)

holygroundj
2015-01-22, 09:52 AM
If a creature has fly but not hover, they will fall when their speed reaches 0 or they are knocked prone. If they have hover, they cannot be knocked prone/fall out of the sky unless something overrides (i'd say paralyze whatever would work).