PDA

View Full Version : Building Lancer (or Lancah, if you consider the Japanese pronuciation)

Glorius Nippon
2015-01-21, 12:50 AM
While most of the people who clicked this probably know who Lancer is (and the series he's from, Fate/Stay Night), I'll give a brief rundown of who he is (spoiler free).

So he's the "heroic spirit" of spear users, hence the name Lancer. In the anime/VN he's from, he's shown off as a tall and acrobatic spear user, vaulting himself using his spear at times, switching between one and two handed grips on his spear, and being a general *******. He has a that allows him to pierce the heart of an enemy guarenteed after charging for some time, example: http://youtu.be/JU_uEdrrhXM?t=3m35s.

I was thinking of a a build that is focused on mobility, with decent tripping and a good charge for his "super attack", and a great spear with some refluffing for his signature weapon.

Probably some levels of fighter for feats, then crusader/warblade for cool maneuvers, although I don't have the time atm to work out a full build.

General thoughts? Special things I could do to better replicate certain parts of him? Note I would like to stay away spell casting as he is, well, a lancer.

(Un)Inspired
2015-01-21, 12:56 AM
Are you sure you don't want him to be a spellcaster? I'm not familiar with the series but it sure looks like he casts a spell in the clip you linked.

Honest Tiefling
2015-01-21, 01:24 AM
I'm pretty sure there was even a picture of a Warblade in the Tome of Battle who pretty much was being acrobatic with a Spear. I'm getting a definite Warblade vibe here, even with all of the pretty lights.

(Un)Inspired
2015-01-21, 02:39 AM
I'm pretty sure there was even a picture of a Warblade in the Tome of Battle who pretty much was being acrobatic with a Spear. I'm getting a definite Warblade vibe here, even with all of the pretty lights.

Yeah but the picture of the Warmage has a spear in hand also.

WeaselGuy
2015-01-21, 02:44 AM
Tome of Battle is pretty much the quintessential "I want my fighter to do flashy stuff" resource, so Warblade is basically the go-to class for melee getting nice things.

With that out of the way, it sounds like dungeoncrasher/shock trooper/leap attack route, combined with improved trip/knock-down would be a good way to go. I also seem to remember there being a maneuver or two focused around jumping, but I'm AFB, so I can't research it for you.

Eldariel
2015-01-21, 04:39 AM
Instant death is a feature of Gáe Bulg so it'd be better built into the weapon than the character, though something like Feral Death Blow seems like a fine approximation if you look that way. It's also worth noting that he's capable of throwing it as an area of effect attack on anti-army level; perhaps Bloodstorm Blade levels plus some features of the spear itself? Either way, Tome of Battle and specifically Warblade seems like the way to go, perhaps with some levels of Barbarian. Cú Chulainn had fits of berserk rage after all and he mentions he could be summoned as a Berserker as well.

He's an exemplar, faster than a human, capable of using the lance both offensively and defensively, has brutal charges, insane acrobatics and so on. Warblade can cover all of that with relative ease, especially if you take Brutal Throw and the basic charging feats. Note that his alignment in the series is defensive; it's stated that out of all the heroic spirits in the war, he's the best at surviving. Perhaps it might be worthwhile to pick up Immortal Fortitude, Diamond Mind save maneuvers and stuff like that. He also knows basic rune magic so mayhap Warblade > Jade Phoenix Mage would be the way to go (opens up both, Devoted Spirit and the magic). Perhaps further run him through Runesmith to reinforce his ability to specifically scribe runes as the only form of magic he knows.

But yeah, basically, he needs:
- Extraordinary physical abilities
- Rune magic
- Extremely strong defenses
- Gáe Bulg

NNescio
2015-01-21, 04:54 AM
Needs some bad luck flaws, or some way to represent bad luck (penalty to rolls) mechanically as part of the character build. Seriously, his bad luck isn't just a running fandom gag (Oh my god they killed Lancer! You bastards! / Final Dead Lancer), it's canon.

(And ties in to the original Cú Chulainn, who, like most Irish heroes, has really bad luck.)

Also,

Geas: Can't eat dog meat.
Geas: Can't refuse hospitality.

ILM
2015-01-21, 04:55 AM
He's essentially a two-handed or two-weapon (depending on which Fate arc) spear user, right? Stay Night's Lancer's Noble Phantasm can best be replicated with a Heartseeking Amulet (MIC) and full Power Attack. Depending on which level you want him at, you can scale the damage output by adding sneak attack (I'm partial to 1 level of sneak attack fighter and the Craven feat) and then multiplying all that by relying on Ruby/Diamond Nightmare Blade. That gives you your single-hit, high-damage, virtual auto-hit special move.

So basically, what I'm saying is Sneak Attack Fighter 1/ Warblade X, with Power Attack, Craven and Ruby/Diamond Nightmare Blade, and a Heartseeking Amulet.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-21, 12:02 PM
Eh.. Fate/Zero Lancer is different from Fate/Stay Night Lancer, more than simply because one use two spears while the other one, being to different heroes. I agree with Eldariel that it would be better to use a magic item to replicate the Noble Phantasm, perhaps using a legacy weapon? I know the printed ones are pretty terrible, but I've heard that you can make some pretty decent, even good custome legacy weapons. I'm not too familiar with them, but I'll try to make one when I have some more time.

Class-wise, I think straight Warblade is probably the best option, or if you want to use PF, Warder or Warlord might be better, you would probably need to pick weapon group adaptation so you can use the Solar Wind (range maneuvers) with a spear though.

Renen
2015-01-21, 12:55 PM
You guys think Lancer had it bad? Poor Rider is like the first to die in Fate and UBW routes, even though she is actually quite strong once she mounts up.
As for the attack, do something like wraithstrike+truestrike free action activate once per day? Buff it up with any damage spell as needed for extra dmg.

Xerlith
2015-01-21, 01:54 PM
Factotum3/WhirlPounce Barbarian1/Warblade6/Bloodstorm Blade 10?

Factotum 8/Warblade1/Bloodstorm Blade2/Warblade+9?
Gives you the rudimentary spell-likes, impressive Int-focus and ranged power-attacking option with Bloodstorm Blade. Any combination of these three, sprinkled with Barbarian to flavor should fit.

Really, some of the F/SN characters are so ridiculously all over the place that it makes it hard to build without heavy gestalting.

Actually, just go Hood and smash things.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-21, 02:21 PM
That is part of the fun of building them :smallamused:

zergling.exe
2015-01-21, 05:00 PM
For me personally, I would build him as a Fighter and go into Suel Aracanamach then to Swiftblade after getting haste. You can max out Power Attack after casting true strike and wraithstrike to get something like Gae Bolg, though its not exact. Suel Arcanamach also replicates his runes that he uses sometimes, and his haste as the 'fastest hero'.

I actually am planning on using this build in a future campaign. I've also got a friend thats going to be the Fate/Zero Lancer as well. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Forgot to mention that I would use a halberd to represent his weapon, as from what I can tell he uses it to both stab and slash with, and that is the only weapon I know of that is a slash/stab polearm.

Also the class is ランサー so it would be read as Lansah and not Lancah. Just a nitpick. :smallwink:

Eldariel
2015-01-21, 05:37 PM
Factotum3/WhirlPounce Barbarian1/Warblade6/Bloodstorm Blade 10?

Factotum 8/Warblade1/Bloodstorm Blade2/Warblade+9?
Gives you the rudimentary spell-likes, impressive Int-focus and ranged power-attacking option with Bloodstorm Blade. Any combination of these three, sprinkled with Barbarian to flavor should fit.

You really kinda need Lightning Ricochet for single weapon style ranged combat to work. Factotum 8/Warblade 8/BSB 4 would be the way I'd go here. That seems quite accurate, overall, tho your feats will be eaten by Fonts of Inspiration which is kind of a shame.

Actually, just go Hood and smash things.

Doesn't really feel very Lancer. Besides, full-on Hood is generally an overkill anyways; few multipliers with a Valorous weapon tends to be more than enough most of the time and the Charge-related issues are largely solved by maneuvers anyways (e.g. Bounding Assault allows you to charge in basically any position). Leading the Charge-stance offers a nice baseline for it all too.

Glorius Nippon
2015-01-21, 05:44 PM
Going to work on the build some tonight, but so far I'm thinking something along the lines of

Fighter 2, Warblade X, Bloodstorm Blade 2

With a level of barbarian put in there somewhere.

That ability at lvl 2 of bloodstorm blade seems perfect for representing Gae Bulg's special strike.
Picking up some basic tactical combat maneuvers, trip, bull rush, ect. with feats.

Is there a way to get decent at disarming tho? It was a pretty big focus in his fight with archer

Knowing my DM, he would probably let me change a heartseeking amulet into an enchantment to put on a greatspear, given I nerf it some how. Most likely a change from swift action to a full round action, also to add the flavor of "charging up" the attack.

*derped on the title, posted late last night as you can tell

Also be careful about those spoilers.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-21, 05:58 PM
Dude the original game is almost 10 years old, the manga adaptation and the anime were released in 2006, it was sort of rebooted in late 2014, it has one movie and apparently another one on the way (at least according to wikipedia), I find weird someone might be spoiled about what we have been talking about.

Anyway, disarming is generally a bad idea unless you are playing on an armed-humanoid heavy game; since you are a warblade you can simply pick the "Disarming Strink" maneuver and go your merry way, but if you want to go the whole way you would need Combat Expertise and Improved Disarm, that nets you a +4 bonus on disarm checks and allows you to avoid AoO, though they are quite ignorable feat since you get a +4 bonus to disarm because you are using a two-handed weapon and unless you enemy is also using a reach weapon they won't be able to take the AoO in response to your disarm attempt.

Glorius Nippon
2015-01-21, 06:15 PM
Dude the original game is almost 10 years old, the manga adaptation and the anime were released in 2006, it was sort of rebooted in late 2014, it has one movie and apparently another one on the way (at least according to wikipedia), I find weird someone might be spoiled about what we have been talking about.

Anyway, disarming is generally a bad idea unless you are playing on an armed-humanoid heavy game; since you are a warblade you can simply pick the "Disarming Strink" maneuver and go your merry way, but if you want to go the whole way you would need Combat Expertise and Improved Disarm, that nets you a +4 bonus on disarm checks and allows you to avoid AoO, though they are quite ignorable feat since you get a +4 bonus to disarm because you are using a two-handed weapon and unless you enemy is also using a reach weapon they won't be able to take the AoO in response to your disarm attempt.

Was warning people to be careful about spoilers specifically because of the reboot, especially because the reboot is my first real experience with fate/stay night.

Xerlith
2015-01-21, 07:22 PM
Doesn't really feel very Lancer. Besides, full-on Hood is generally an overkill anyways; few multipliers with a Valorous weapon tends to be more than enough most of the time and the Charge-related issues are largely solved by maneuvers anyways (e.g. Bounding Assault allows you to charge in basically any position). Leading the Charge-stance offers a nice baseline for it all too.

Hood with four BSB levels? :smallbiggrin:

But in all seriousness now, I think something along this line would be on the right track - I'd say your Factotum8/Warblade8/BSB4 is spot on, but depending on the need for additional standard actions (Wouldn't that be a bit of an overkill as well?), maybe there wouldn't be a need for taking FoI.
I'm now thinking of incorporating Iaijutsu Focus in there somehow, if only to factor the lack of additional actions. Meh, just wing it with Sapphire Nightmare Blade and a cursed weapon.

And don't you think that with PoW and PoW2 this character would be awfully easy to put together? :smallamused:

Glorius Nippon
2015-01-21, 10:05 PM
So as it stands,

Human

Ability Scores *note my DM has humans start at 10 in each score
26 point buy

Str: 18
Dex: 14
Con: 14
Int: 13
Wis: 11
Cha :10

1. Warblade 1 - Exotic Weapon Prof. (Greatspear), Power Attack
2. Fighter 1 - Combat Expertise
3. Fighter 2 - Improved Trip, Point Blank Shot
4. Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 1 - Giving up fast movement for pounce
5. Warblade 2
6. Bloodstorm Blade 1 - Improved Bull Rush
7. Bloodstorm Blade 2 - get Thunderous Throw
8. Bloodstorm Blade 3 - Shock Trooper

Armor: Mithral Full Plate
Weapon: Masterwork Greatspear, valorous, heartseeking

I'm not trying to heavily optimize it, but he should be competent enough to be Lancer at this point. Thoughts?

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-21, 10:24 PM
I go with a Mithril breatplate, lancer relies a lot on his speed so it seems quite counter-intuitive to use armour that would reduce your land speed, other than that if you are only dipping fighter for Combat Expertise and improved trip, you could trade at least one fighter level for another barbarian level and pick up the Wolf Totem Barbarian (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wolfTotemClassFeatures ) (it is compatible with Spirit Lion Barb) to pick up Improved trip without Combat Expertise. If you do that I suggest to trade the other Fighter level for moar warblade because moar warblade is always good.

DMVerdandi
2015-01-21, 10:26 PM
Personally, I would go with Factotum 1/ Spiritliontotem Barb 1(With Ferocity instead of rage)/Warblade3/Chameleon 10/Bloodstorm Blade 5

Now, you have spell casting just in case (Definitely cast divine spells), Sneak attack just in case, and all of the other benefits from chameleon(FLOATING FEAT). You will have all skills as class skills, Some decent maneuvers, and will have made headway into bloodstorm blade for the throwing.

I would pick the regular spear, get intuitive attack feat (for Wis to attack), and become totally SAD. That's WIS to attack, AC, and Bonus Divine spell slots for your chameleon. Perhaps look into getting Smiting Spell, so you can Cast into your Gay Bulge. Item Familiar ain't a bad idea either.

So, all in all, the feats I would suggest are able learner, Intuitive attack, Smiting spell, and Item familiar.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-21, 10:34 PM
Eh I don't know, building Lancer without full BAB doesn't feel right to me :smalltongue:, but I suppose that as long as you get 16 BAB it is OK, however I don't recall seeing Lancer cast anything on-screen (but to be fair I haven't watched/read the anime/VN in years so I could just be misremembering) so I don't think a casting build is the way to go, though picking Wraitshtrike is one way to emulate Gae Bolg, though then again Emerald Razor also does that.

DMVerdandi
2015-01-21, 10:52 PM
Eh I don't know, building Lancer without full BAB doesn't feel right to me :smalltongue:, but I suppose that as long as you get 16 BAB it is OK, however I don't recall seeing Lancer cast anything on-screen (but to be fair I haven't watched/read the anime/VN in years so I could just be misremembering) so I don't think a casting build is the way to go, though picking Wraitshtrike is one way to emulate Gae Bolg, though then again Emerald Razor also does that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421782837&feature=player_detailpage&x-yt-cl=84359240&v=WShUzai50ts#t=485

http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/Lancer_%28Fate/stay_night%29

Lancer is quite clearly a spell caster. 3.5 is not as forgiving with someone actually knowing more than either full-attack button, or spell casting, but he is a spell caster.

Full BAB is nearly useless after you get 16. It's like someone acting like the last fighter feat is a special capstone. It's not. Once you get the 4th attack, it is no longer an actual issue.
Also, Divine power would boost that up anyway. Not to mention the other various spells that would be of use.

Eldariel
2015-01-21, 10:58 PM

He uses rune magic on screen once, when he lights the Einzbern Castle on fire after killing Kirei. His entry in the VN states that he has a working understanding of the magic system and the ability to use it though. He just doesn't all that often.

His abilities, by the VN, are:
Battle Continuation [A]: Doesn't die easily, can continue fighting until receiving a clearly fatal wound. That's something I think Immortal Fortitude would be perfect for.
Restart [C]: The ability to escape battle. It can also return an unfavorable battle to the beginning and restore the conditions of techniques to their initial state. Aside from making him adept at escaping, hard to do short of a save-game level trick.
Rune [B]: Possesses the North European Magic Crest, Rune.
Protection from Arrows [B]: As long as he keeps the shooter in vision, he can perceive and defend against any projectile attacks. Doesn't work against direct attacks from great distance nor area attacks.
Divinity [B]: Well, he's a semi-deity.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-21, 11:26 PM
He uses rune magic on screen once, when he lights the Einzbern Castle on fire after killing Kirei. His entry in the VN states that he has a working understanding of the magic system and the ability to use it though. He just doesn't all that often.

His abilities, by the VN, are:
Battle Continuation [A]: Doesn't die easily, can continue fighting until receiving a clearly fatal wound. That's something I think Immortal Fortitude would be perfect for.
Restart [C]: The ability to escape battle. It can also return an unfavorable battle to the beginning and restore the conditions of techniques to their initial state. Aside from making him adept at escaping, hard to do short of a save-game level trick.
Rune [B]: Possesses the North European Magic Crest, Rune.
Protection from Arrows [B]: As long as he keeps the shooter in vision, he can perceive and defend against any projectile attacks. Doesn't work against direct attacks from great distance nor area attacks.
Divinity [B]: Well, he's a semi-deity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421782837&feature=player_detailpage&x-yt-cl=84359240&v=WShUzai50ts#t=485

Lancer is quite clearly a spell caster. 3.5 is not as forgiving with someone actually knowing more than either full-attack button, or spell casting, but he is a spell caster.

Full BAB is nearly useless after you get 16. It's like someone acting like the last fighter feat is a special capstone. It's not. Once you get the 4th attack, it is no longer an actual issue.
Also, Divine power would boost that up anyway. Not to mention the other various spells that would be of use.

I stand corrected, it just another sign that I should watch the series again :smallredface:

Glorius Nippon
2015-01-21, 11:37 PM
I go with a Mithril breatplate, lancer relies a lot on his speed so it seems quite counter-intuitive to use armour that would reduce your land speed, other than that if you are only dipping fighter for Combat Expertise and improved trip, you could trade at least one fighter level for another barbarian level and pick up the Wolf Totem Barbarian (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wolfTotemClassFeatures ) (it is compatible with Spirit Lion Barb) to pick up Improved trip without Combat Expertise. If you do that I suggest to trade the other Fighter level for moar warblade because moar warblade is always good.

It says on your link that it requires level 2 Wolf Totem, can you swap out which totem your taking for a level when leveling totem barbarians or something? Otherwise that requires an extra level dip.

My DM also halves the movement penalties of an armor when it's mithral (very generous DM), and I feel that full plate looks more like his "armor" than breastplate does.

Eldariel
2015-01-21, 11:39 PM
I stand corrected, it just another sign that I should watch the series again :smallredface:

Those events don't take place in the Studio DEEN TV series so if that's all you've seen, then you actually have a perfectly valid reason for not knowing that :smalltongue: That clip is from the UBW movie but it also takes place in the VN and of course, it's to come in the on-going Ufotable UBW anime.

It says on your link that it requires level 2 Wolf Totem, can you swap out which totem your taking for a level when leveling totem barbarians or something? Otherwise that requires an extra level dip.

My DM also halves the movement penalties of an armor when it's mithral (very generous DM), and I feel that full plate looks more like his "armor" than breastplate does.

In general, you can take any number of alternative class features as long as they replace different things. Those two ACFs deal with different abilities so you'd be fine in that regard.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-21, 11:48 PM

It is weird to explain, SLT is an ACF and Wolf Totem is a variant class, but since both of them trade different things (Fast-moment->Pounce for SLT and Uncanny Dodge->Improved trip for WT) you are able to take both of them at the same time. Rule of thumb is that as long as they don't trade the same class feature you are able to mix and match variants and ACF to your heart's content.

Going by the PHB illustration
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd299/ghostwalker_wow_photo/Armor.png

I think full plate is way too much armour for Lancer, but if you want to go with it, it is your character not mine after al :smalltongue:

Those events don't take place in the Studio DEEN TV series so if that's all you've seen, then you actually have a perfectly valid reason for not knowing that :smalltongue: That clip is from the UBW movie but it also takes place in the VN and of course, it's to come in the on-going Ufotable UBW anime.

I've watched both the Deen series (which was a weird amalgamation of all three routes IIRC) and the movie, but I did so years ago so I didn't recall that particular scene, so yeah. I started to watch the newest series yesterday and from the single episode I saw I'm really excited about it.

Glorius Nippon
2015-01-21, 11:53 PM
It is weird to explain, SLT is an ACF and Wolf Totem is a variant class, but since both of them trade different things (Fast-moment->Pounce for SLT and Uncanny Dodge->Improved trip for WT) you are able to take both of them at the same time. Rule of thumb is that as long as they don't trade the same class feature you are able to mix and match variants and ACF to your heart's content.

Going by the PHB illustration
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd299/ghostwalker_wow_photo/Armor.png

I think full plate is way too much armour for Lancer, but if you want to go with it, it is your character not mine after al :smalltongue:

I've watched both the Deen series (which was a weird amalgamation of all three routes IIRC) and the movie, but I did so years ago so I didn't recall that particular scene, so yeah. I started to watch the newest series yesterday and from the single episode I saw I'm really excited about it.

Silly me of thinking about IRL breastplate and full plate as opposed to D&D breastplate and full plate. Half plate looks like it would be good tho, with unlinked arms and such, as well as providing a bit better AC, which is the whole reason I wanted to use heavier armor. He's supposed to be a hard person to kill, as such having a high AC seems to fit him more to me, although it does conflict with mobility somewhat.

Eldariel
2015-01-22, 12:01 AM
Silly me of thinking about IRL breastplate and full plate as opposed to D&D breastplate and full plate. Half plate looks like it would be good tho, with unlinked arms and such, as well as providing a bit better AC, which is the whole reason I wanted to use heavier armor. He's supposed to be a hard person to kill, as such having a high AC seems to fit him more to me, although it does conflict with mobility somewhat.

He's agile as hell. There's no difference in AC between a guy with Padded Armor and 26 Dex and a guy with Fullplate and 12 Dex (you can raise Dex with magic items and such a fair bit in due time). And a guy with Celestial Armor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#celestialArmor) plus 26 Dex has the highest AC out of all the Armor setups in the game (it's possible to go higher without Armor, however).

In effect, Armor just allows you to reach the same AC with lower Dex (one less than Fullplate/Padded if you use Breastplate/Chain Shirt/Studded Leather/Leather instead). As such, it can be nice while gaining levels but it shouldn't factor that much into a high level build. Mithral Breastplate is one of the better leveling armors: Achievable 20 Dex to reach max AC, light armor mobility and only -1 Armor Check Penalty.

Also, with Warblade levels you can use maneuvers such as Wall of Blades and Manticore Parry to defend in part.

Glorius Nippon
2015-01-22, 12:14 AM
He's agile as hell. There's no difference in AC between a guy with Padded Armor and 26 Dex and a guy with Fullplate and 12 Dex (you can raise Dex with magic items and such a fair bit in due time). And a guy with Celestial Armor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#celestialArmor) plus 26 Dex has the highest AC out of all the Armor setups in the game (it's possible to go higher without Armor, however).

In effect, Armor just allows you to reach the same AC with lower Dex (one less than Fullplate/Padded if you use Breastplate/Chain Shirt/Studded Leather/Leather instead). As such, it can be nice while gaining levels but it shouldn't factor that much into a high level build. Mithral Breastplate is one of the better leveling armors: Achievable 20 Dex to reach max AC, light armor mobility and only -1 Armor Check Penalty.

Also, with Warblade levels you can use maneuvers such as Wall of Blades and Manticore Parry to defend in part.

With the money saved using breastplate I'm pretty sure it's possible to get dex high enough that it doesn't matter. I'll edit the post tomorrow with the updated equipment, but for now I'm off.

NNescio
2015-01-22, 02:19 AM

Incidentally, he gets...

...rebooted as a caster in the upcoming online 'RPG' remake, Fate/Grand Order. Details are sketchy, but his character art is more or less already defined.

(Maybe he got sick of bad rolls and decided to go for a GOD Wizard build that doesn't care about dice rolls).

... My DM also halves the movement penalties of an armor when it's mithral (very generous DM), and I feel that full plate looks more like his "armor" than breastplate does.

I thought he wears full tights.

(Okay, he has pauldrons and sabatons [metal 'boots'], which are usually found on plate armor, and the tights are enchanted by runes, but the whole get-up looks more like light armor. Half-plate would be what Saber wears.)