PDA

View Full Version : Spontaneous Casting for Druid

DragonRiina
2015-01-21, 01:26 AM
I was wondering if there was a feat for/similar to spontaneous casting in 3.5 that could apply to Druids. My DM has let me use all Druid spells from the PHB and the Spell Compendium and there are so many to choose from that I'm finding it hard picking solid sets of prepared spells for each day.

My goal & hope is that there is a feat somewhere that will allow me to spontaneously cast spells (much in the same way of SNA) that I can just pick one that I need from my giant list, while maintaining the number of casts I have in each level of spells. I'm not really using SNA anyways...

Fitz10019
2015-01-21, 10:08 AM
The base class Spirit Shaman [Complete Divine, p14] basically does this, but better than a sorcerer does.

In the morning, you choose your daily spells known. Then, all day, you cast spontaneously within that daily list. I think DnD5e uses this approach for caster classes.

With Spirit Shaman, you don't get other druidy things, like wildshape. On the plus side, you're not allergic to metal armor.

Emmerlaus
2015-01-21, 12:36 PM
The base class Spirit Shaman [Complete Divine, p14] basically does this, but better than a sorcerer does.

In the morning, you choose your daily spells known. Then, all day, you cast spontaneously within that daily list. I think DnD5e uses this approach for caster classes.

With Spirit Shaman, you don't get other druidy things, like wildshape. On the plus side, you're not allergic to metal armor.

That is a weird part for the class for me. :(

I know choosing spells can be difficult BUT instead of modifying a good class, I suggest you check some druid handbook on the internet to know what spells are more useful.

You cant apply metamagic feat to spontaneous spells without increasing their casting time to a full-round action... just saying :smallconfused:

The only other thing I could suggest is that you need to find a druid build on the internent with a spell list already made, if you are still undecisive about it.

Urpriest
2015-01-21, 01:22 PM
This isn't the sort of thing you should expect a feat to do, feats don't generally change a class that dramatically. On the other hand, class variants are exactly the sort of thing that does this, and the Spontaneous Druid variant in Unearthed Arcana is exactly what you're asking for.

EyethatBinds
2015-01-21, 02:25 PM
Here's what I do for any prepared casting class.

I create a default spell list for everyday adventuring, an in town spell list, a dungeon spell list, and a big fight spell list. Then I play the Gygaxian gambit of trying to predict the future and look over Druid spells every now and then to see if something might be more fun/useful than my current load out.

It gives me all the flexibility I need, as I can always choose to simply prepare different spells, and still lets me narrow down my choices to a specific set. No need to choose a different set every day.

nedz
2015-01-21, 02:59 PM
This isn't the sort of thing you should expect a feat to do, feats don't generally change a class that dramatically. On the other hand, class variants are exactly the sort of thing that does this, and the Spontaneous Druid variant in Unearthed Arcana is exactly what you're asking for.

this, which is here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm) in the SRD also.

Chronos
2015-01-21, 07:26 PM
Every caster has a few spells on their list that make you say "Wow, that would be really awesome, if I ever found myself in that really rare situation". As a druid, you should always prepare a few of those. Most of the time, it'll just end up being an SNA (which is often the best choice for the situation anyway), but if that rare situation ever does actually come up, by golly, you're ready for it.

eggynack
2015-01-21, 07:27 PM
We could always just help you out on the list end instead. What level are you, and what kinda particular doings, if any, do you want to get up to?

Threadnaught
2015-01-21, 07:29 PM
Races of the Dragon, Versatile Spellcaster.

Druids qualify at 1st level on account of Spontaneous Summon Nature's Ally.

nedz
2015-01-21, 07:31 PM
Races of the Dragon, Versatile Spellcaster.

Druids qualify at 1st level on account of Spontaneous Summon Nature's Ally.

But their only Spells Known are higher level SNAs.

Threadnaught
2015-01-21, 07:50 PM
But their only Spells Known are higher level SNAs.

Don't Druids know the entire Druid list?

They can prepare any Spell on the list, unlike say, the Wizard, which can only prepare Spells known and recorded into a Spellbook.

It's probably a house rule, but it's not a huge boost. It only allows the casting of a Spell of up to the highest level you can cast, for two slots one level lower.

Mato
2015-01-22, 12:07 PM
Don't Druids know the entire Druid list?The rules are silent on clerics or druids knowing any spells, they are simply granted by their deity using their class list. The FAQ goes as far as saying they don't.

Also the druid's ability requires you to use prepared spell, this is not the same thing as spontaneous spellcasting. Please refer to page 139 of the rules compendium where you are reminded that the druid's spellcasting follows special rules but is still prepared spellcasting then read the entire prepared spellcasting entry until you realize prepared spellcasters do not cast spells using spell slots but fill their slots with prepared spells and cast those. It's how mechanics like mage's lubrication and pearls of power allow a prepared spellcaster to cast additional spells per day without increasing the number of spell slots they have.

Curmudgeon
2015-01-22, 12:28 PM
Don't Druids know the entire Druid list?
Nope.
known spell

A spell that an arcane spellcaster has learned and can prepare.
The rules specify, in a round-about fashion, that divine spellcasters know the spells they've prepared and can use for the purposes of Scribe Scroll. Other than that, "known spells" is an arcane-only part of the game.

nedz
2015-01-22, 02:19 PM
Nope.
The rules specify, in a round-about fashion, that divine spellcasters know the spells they've prepared and can use for the purposes of Scribe Scroll. Other than that, "known spells" is an arcane-only part of the game.

I made my post quite late at night and thought afterwards that my interpretation may be more liberal than RAW. There is such a thing as Spontaneous Divine Casters and also Favoured Soul though.