PDA

View Full Version : E6 and level advancement in 5E

burninatortrog
2015-01-21, 08:24 AM
I'm getting ready for an E6 (http://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/2fvpr7/e6_in_dd_5e/) game, and since apprentice-tier level advancement is so fast I'm considering using the XP table shown below to slow things down a bit. Does anyone see any glaring problems with this idea? Should I just forget it and use the RAW values, or can you suggest a better table? Thanks for your help!

Level
XP

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

6th

ASI
every 10,000

DanyBallon
2015-01-21, 09:00 AM
First, I believe bounded accuracy solve alot of the problems that E6 was trying to solve. But if you like to run E6 under 5th, I would suggest to keep the level progression as per RAW up to 3rd level, then you can stretch the progression out. Keep in mind that low CR creature are quite deadly for a 1st level character in this edition. But otherwise it seems completly feasible, especially if you use the boons presented in the DMG as inspiration.

Madfellow
2015-01-21, 09:15 AM
I agree with DanyBallon. I think if you want a low-power game you should try just playing the first 8 levels or so.

Knaight
2015-01-21, 09:24 AM
I wouldn't recommend e6 in 5e. Consider the original - BAB at 6th level for any martial class is equal to the maximum proficiency in 5e. Skills can get higher than the maximum proficiency in 5e. Every martial class gets 2 attacks as a capstone at 6th level, which is well beyond the 5e rate of increase. Even attributes can be pushed over 20 within 6 levels, though this is very much species dependent. The break point of 6 was selected because of a lot of ways that 3e was designed, 5e is distinct enough that it would be worth looking into a different point, and maybe even continuing to raise proficiency (if not other things) past that point.

burninatortrog
2015-01-21, 09:24 AM
Thanks! It did occur to me that increasing the number of combats 1st-level characters have to go through would make it harder for them to live to see level 2. However, part of my rationale for doing this is that I want to offer XP for non-combat encounters without worrying about pushing the PC's all the way to level 6 too quickly, so I think it should even out.

The break point of 6 was selected because of a lot of ways that 3e was designed, 5e is distinct enough that it would be worth looking into a different point, and maybe even continuing to raise proficiency (if not other things) past that point.

There's a pretty good analysis of breakpoints at 2,4,6,8, and 10 linked in my OP. :)

DanyBallon
2015-01-21, 09:53 AM
If you want to slow down level progression without messing with level progression, you can send larger group of low challenge rating creatures at your PCs. This way, the fights will still be a challenge but the total xp gained won't be as much.

i.e. a single CR3 creature is a hard encounter for a group of level 2 PCs and is worht 700xp but 6 cr 1/4 creatures si equally challenging but only worth 300 xp in all

As you said, adding non-combat experience could also be a good way to fill in the gap if you change the level progression chart.