PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Fighter Martial Archetype (The Combatant)

CrusaderJoe
2015-01-21, 11:57 AM
The Combatant (Fighter Subclass)

Special: To choose to become a Combatant the Fighter must be proficient in Athletics.

Level 3
Combat Mastery: As a bonus action you may use the Shove (Push Back), Move Aside, or Disarm Action.

Additionally you gain Expertise in Athletics.

Level 7
Combat Stance: If it is advantageous to do so you may treat yourself as one size larger for the purpose of maneuvers and effects related to size.

Additionally when you use an Action to perform a maneuver using Strength (Athletics) and you are successful, you may deal unarmed strike damage (1+Str Modifier Damage). When you use a Bonus Action to perform a maneuver using Strength (Athletics) and you are successful, you may deal unarmed strike damage (1Damage) but you do not add your strength modifier.

Level 10
Greater Combat Mastery: You may use the Shove (Trip), Disengage, or Climb Onto A Bigger Creature as a bonus action.

Level 15
Greater Combat Stance: If it is advantageous to do so you may treat yourself as two sizes larger for the purpose of maneuvers and effects related to size.

Level 18
Combat Defense: Choose 3 maneuvers from the following list, you become immune to these maneuver. Enemies may attempt to perform this maneuver against you but it doesn't work even if you fail to notice the attack.

During a short or long rest you may change your training regimen and choose new maneuvers to become immune to.

Disengage: Disengaging creatures still provoke OA's from you.
Shove (Push Back): Your stance is strong against being pushed back.
Shove (Trip): Your stance is strong against being tripped.
Move Aside: Your stance is strong against being moved sideways.
Disarm: Your grip on items, weapons, and other such things is to strong for enemies to knock them from your grasp.
Climb Onto a Bigger Creature: Creatures can not climb on you and they automatically fall off after their action is completed. They land adjacent to you and they do not land prone.

++++

One of the issues with moderate to high level non-casters is that the awesome things to do... Well this gives the fighter options to use with their bonus action, gets something no one else gets, and had an interesting cap ability.

Climbing onto a creature as a bonus action, then use your action to shove? You will be riding larger creatures around like a god dang rodeo. If that isn't cool they I don't know what is... Grab the troll ears and use them as a steering wheel to dictate where they troll stumbles... Eventually trip it? Nice. :D

System Shock was based on the DMG varient, I'm still working on it but I didn't want it to be so strong.

Edit:

I reduced the level of Expertise in order to reduce the number of Multiclassing between Rogue/Bard and the Fighter.

Amnoriath
2015-01-21, 01:44 PM
The Combatant (Fighter Subclass)

Special: To choose to become a Combatant the Fighter must be proficient in Athletics.

Level 3
Combat Mastery: As a bonus action you may use the Shove (Push Back), Move Aside, or Disarm Action.

Level 7
Combat Stance: If it is advantageous to do so you may treat yourself as one sizes larger for the purpose of maneuvers (which can negate disadvantage).

Level 10
Greater Combat Mastery: You may use the Shove (Trip), Disengage, or Climb Onto A Bigger Creature as a bonus action.

Level 15
Greater Combat Stance: If it is advantageous to do so you may treat yourself as two sizes larger for the purpose of maneuvers (which can negate disadvantage).

Level 18
Destructive Combatant: When you take the Attack Action each creature you damage with a weapon attack must make a DC (8 + Str Modifier + Proficiency Bonus) Constitution Save or roll on the system shock table below.

A creature may be effected by system shock roll once per round.

Example: If the Fighter uses the attack action and action surge to strike one creature then that creature rolls one Constitution Saving Throw. If the Fighter strike 4 creatures then each of them would attempt the Con Save.

System Shock Table
Roll d10
1-3: Creature has disadvantage on saving throws until the end of their next turn.
4-6: Creature has disadvantage on ability checks until the end of their next turn.
7-9: Creature has disadvantage on attack rolls until the end of their next turn.
10: Roll Twice (reroll any new roll of 10), target is affected by both results. If both rolls are the same then the effect last until the end of the creature's second turn.

++++

One of the issues with moderate to high level non-casters is that the awesome things to do... Well this gives the fighter options to use with their bonus action, gets something no one else gets, and had an interesting cap ability.

Climbing onto a creature as a bonus action, then use your action to shove? You will be riding larger creatures around like a god dang rodeo. If that isn't cool they I don't know what is... Grab the troll ears and use them as a steering wheel to dictate where they troll stumbles... Eventually trip it? Nice. :D

System Shock was based on the DMG varient, I'm still working on it but I didn't want it to be so strong.

The only things I would is proficiency and later expertise in Athletics checks and treated a successful maneuver like an unarmed strike in damage.

CrusaderJoe
2015-01-21, 02:43 PM
The only things I would is proficiency and later expertise in Athletics checks and treated a successful maneuver like an unarmed strike in damage.

Well to get into the subclass you have to have proficiency in athletics.

Expertise might be too good, but fits in thematically so I'll throw it in later when you would actually run into creatures you would actually need it.

Unarmed damage... That can work, you would fall behind on dpt but you will feel like you are still doing something in terms of damage.

Amnoriath
2015-01-23, 10:23 AM
Well to get into the subclass you have to have proficiency in athletics.

Expertise might be too good, but fits in thematically so I'll throw it in later when you would actually run into creatures you would actually need it.

Unarmed damage... That can work, you would fall behind on dpt but you will feel like you are still doing something in terms of damage.

1. Ah sure, but it is their thing especially when the Rogue and Bard get it earlier.
2. Glad I could be of help but the capstone might be a little a late. Maybe instead exchange your second stance for that and add to your second stance to give strategy earlier while capping with certainty in its specialty.

CrusaderJoe
2015-01-23, 01:27 PM
1. Ah sure, but it is their thing especially when the Rogue and Bard get it earlier.
2. Glad I could be of help but the capstone might be a little a late. Maybe instead exchange your second stance for that and add to your second stance to give strategy earlier while capping with certainty in its specialty.

The capstone was originally a lot more powerful but I reduced its power. The original looked a lot like the DMG version and yeah would have made the Moon Druid look tame... Which wouldn't be all that bad if all others had abilities of that magnitude.

So yeah switching the two would work.

I really see expertise as... A bit excessive in this system. Almost unfair really. It really only seem fair once the enemy is allowed (and as) an ability score greater than 20 when the player is not allowed to do that. Don't get me wrong, expertise is a juicy ability that is fantastic and I love having it in my build... But it just seems a bit unfair haha.

Edit:

Actually I might just take the Destructive Combatant out of this archetype and make a subclass based on that itself. It doesn't really fit in with the rest of the subclass.

AugustNights
2015-01-27, 05:56 PM
This seems like an excellent addition to the fighter's abilities. I rather like how simple, but effective, this is, and how it encourages using more combat strategies that "I attack."

CrusaderJoe
2015-01-27, 06:33 PM
This seems like an excellent addition to the fighter's abilities. I rather like how simple, but effective, this is, and how it encourages using more combat strategies that "I attack."

Thank you :)

CrusaderJoe
2015-01-27, 11:53 PM
Now I'm thinking if the unarmed strike damage would be to much compared to other options.

Instead of 1d4 I think it should be 1 as an unarmed strike. So 1 + Str mod damage... I don't know yet.

AugustNights
2015-01-29, 04:09 PM
The average damage difference between a d4 and a flat 1 is 1.5. It's not a very big difference, but it does allow a player to roll a die, which for some reason seems more favorable. This seems particularly relevant in regards to making the unarmed attack as a part of a Bonus Action, where in the Strength modifier is not applied.

CrusaderJoe
2015-01-30, 02:14 PM
The average damage difference between a d4 and a flat 1 is 1.5. It's not a very big difference, but it does allow a player to roll a die, which for some reason seems more favorable. This seems particularly relevant in regards to making the unarmed attack as a part of a Bonus Action, where in the Strength modifier is not applied.

My main reason for changing it is to not give the player a psuedo proficiency in unarmed strike. Though as I type this I think with this archetype, having proficiency in unarmed strike makes sense...

More pondering will be needed.

I'm not too worried about players not rolling a d4 when they use these abilities. This just speeds up the game since they will be dealing with the contest and what happens with the contest. They can quickly say "oh and while I was trying to do this you take X damage".