PDA

View Full Version : Potion Drink AOO

Yogibear41
2015-01-21, 12:49 PM
When someone provokes an attack of opportunity from attempting to drink a potion, can the attacker strike the potion bottle instead of the drinker with his attack of opportunity, potentially destroying the potion bottle before the drinker drinks it?

Ogh_the_Second
2015-01-21, 12:54 PM
Sure. However, that would be a Sunder attempt - which would provoke a (counter) AOO in itself from the potion-drinker, assuming he's armed.

Renen
2015-01-21, 01:38 PM
Well technically (I am pretty sure) sunder can only be done vs weapons and shields of enemy. Potion is neither. But I dont see why DM wouldnt allow this, because rule of cool.

Zaq
2015-01-21, 02:10 PM
Well technically (I am pretty sure) sunder can only be done vs weapons and shields of enemy. Potion is neither. But I dont see why DM wouldnt allow this, because rule of cool.

The bottom of pg. 158 of the PHB has rules for sundering objects other than weapons or shields, so there's no need to rely on Rule of Cool or other GM ad-hoc rules.

If you're still not comfortable with that, you can always use Disarm instead of Sunder, which also explicitly can be used against things that aren't melee weapons.