PDA

View Full Version : Kendir Race questions

newb
2015-01-21, 02:29 PM
Friend suggested this to me. My character just died and he said they are a lot of fun and have a special ability where you randomly find stuff in your bag after going through a town. You borrow with out noticing. I thought it would be great for my monk who will take vow of poverty

Honest Tiefling
2015-01-21, 02:30 PM
I...Think your friend might be messing with you, as you could quickly violate your vow with that race (they cannot control their stealing) and your party mates are likely to end up killing you when you steal their important items they rely on when fighting for their lives.

newb
2015-01-21, 02:32 PM
I can't find where it actually says that you take random things. Where does it state that.

JusticeZero
2015-01-21, 02:35 PM
In every description of the race, ever. I don't use that subrace because it is painfully goofy.

Telonius
2015-01-21, 02:37 PM
Vow of Poverty Monk is probably the ideal build for any Kender.

:smallwink::smallbiggrin:

newb
2015-01-21, 02:38 PM
I'm in draglance champaign setting right now character traits says nothing about it

I like idea cause Oh I found this random thing and give it away as soon as I found it. A give to the good thing.

Larrx
2015-01-21, 02:39 PM
I can't find where it actually says that you take random things. Where does it state that.

You stated it. "Borrow without noticing" = stealing :) Also, it doesn't matter. You might lose exalted status by stealing, but you lose VoP by simply having regardless of the means of acquisition. This includes the bag you randomly find things in. VoP and Kendar simply don't mix.

newb
2015-01-21, 02:41 PM
K fine whatever bout bop but can someone please point to where exactly it says roll on a random table to see what's in your bag?

the_david
2015-01-21, 02:46 PM
Nowhere. It's a house rule. It might have been part of the rules for some previous edition, but not in 3.5.

Now despite what you might believe, not all Kender are kleptomaniacs. Their natural curiosity manifests in many different ways.

Hobosub
2015-01-21, 03:05 PM
On pages 159-161 of Races of Ansalon, there's the Kender Pouch List and the Random Kender Pouch Grab.

The Pouch List
When running a kender character, there is a good chance the
kender will have pouches filled with small odds and ends.
The exact composition of the items in these pouches can vary
depending on the level of the kender and the generosity of
the DM. To begin, every kender player should create a list of
what’s in their pouches. Throughout their travels, this list of
items will eventually change.
The common rule for how many items a kender can carry
on them is as follows: 5 items to a small pouch, 10 to a large
pouch, 15 to a small sack, 25 in a backpack, and 30 in a large
sack.
[...]
If you would rather not keep up with a pouch list, you can
always simply refer to the Random Pouch Grab Tables any
time a kender pulls an item from their pouches.

Quite basically, roll 1d20 + lvl to see what kind of item you're grabbing from your pouch:
2-5: item from someone else;
6-18: common
19-28: extraordinary
29-36: amazing
37+: legendary

And then there's tables identifying items corresponding to d% rolls of the appropriate type.

LoyalPaladin
2015-01-21, 03:19 PM
Please see my signature.

In all seriousness though, Dragonlance is awesome. We played that for 3 years and I loved it.

newb
2015-01-21, 03:24 PM
Thank you for the info

SiuiS
2015-01-21, 03:39 PM

The actual rule for borrowing. Without noticing is in 5e, not 3e.

Don't play a Kender. They have a very bad reputation and for good reason. A buddy saying it's cool isn't a good reason. Learn what they are and how they work both in game and at table, and then commit. They are difficult to Roleplay without ruining the game.

atemu1234
2015-01-21, 03:40 PM
To be fair, you can play a non-klepto kender.

darksolitaire
2015-01-21, 05:02 PM
Kenders who have read Races of Ansalon can randomly pull out Device of Timejourneying. That means that with enough tries, they can travel back in time and nick some to-be God Wizard his appropriate WBL, therefore causing his demise in some inconceivable way.

To be fair, you can play a non-klepto kender.

Remember, it's not stealing if they don't notice they're missing it.

Chronos
2015-01-21, 07:21 PM
Playing a kender can be fun for the person playing one. But it's almost never fun for anyone else at the table. Don't be that guy.

Vertharrad
2015-01-23, 04:59 PM
Listen to me and some others on this thread...friends don't let friend's play kender. Or...just say no to kender. Seriously DON'T DO IT. The only non-klepto kender is an afflicted kender. And that's because Malistryx put the fear of the cosmos in them. It's all fun and games till a kenders killed.