PDA

View Full Version : Is there a god of pain?

Kimras
2015-01-21, 02:57 PM
I have an idea for a character who is a sadistic favored soul and a god of pain enjoys his antics. If there is where can I find info about him.

Honest Tiefling
2015-01-21, 02:58 PM
Well...Not so much a him as a her, but there's always Loviatar from Forgotten Realms. Else, there is Zon-Kuthon from Pathfinder/Golarion.

enderlord99
2015-01-21, 02:59 PM
Well...Not so much a him as a her, but there's always Loviatar from Forgotten Realms.

Indeed. There's also Torog from... probably Greyhawk, I'm not sure.

Honest Tiefling
2015-01-21, 03:00 PM
This Torog? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torog_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29) He's 4th edition, so I think that means Forgotten Realms again, but a different edition.

enderlord99
2015-01-21, 03:09 PM
This Torog? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torog_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29) He's 4th edition, so I think that means Forgotten Realms again, but a different edition.

Forgotten Realms is no longer the default in 4E. 4E Forgotten Realms still has Loviator, a name which spellcheck instists has a b in front of it.

Xelbiuj
2015-01-21, 03:35 PM
There's also the Lady of Pain from planescape.
Don't worship her.

atemu1234
2015-01-21, 03:39 PM
There's also the Lady of Pain from planescape.
Don't worship her.

Seriously. Don't.

DON'T.

holywhippet
2015-01-21, 03:42 PM
Seriously. Don't.

DON'T.

Unless you are suffering from the curse of immortality. In which case, worship away.

Honest Tiefling
2015-01-21, 03:43 PM
Forgotten Realms is no longer the default in 4E. 4E Forgotten Realms still has Loviator, a name which spellcheck instists has a b in front of it.

Really? I thought it became the new greyhawk. My mistake, but there you go, three gods of pain, pick your flavor of leather and studs.

Hobosub
2015-01-21, 03:44 PM
I would offer this girl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scahrossar). Suits perfectly

EDIT: p11-12 from Book of Vile Darkness

atemu1234
2015-01-21, 03:47 PM
Unless you are suffering from the curse of immortality. In which case, worship away.

Unless you're also immune to an eternity of boundless agony, you still shouldn't.

BWR
2015-01-21, 04:49 PM
Seriously. Don't.

DON'T.

Feel free to worship her.
The Lady isn't a god (probably) and will certainly not answer any acts of devotion, but won't do anything about it...until you enter Sigil.
If you try worshipping her there or enter after worshipping, well, she isn't called the Lady of Pain for nothing. But there are always crazies out there who think it's worth trying.

On topic, from Mystara there are various Immortals (gods). In descending order of fittingness:
Danel - patron of the Tiger clan in Atruighan. Likes betrayal, pain, surivival of the fittest
Jammudaru - an ascended ogre who patronizes his former race, fond of hate, revenge, brutality and pain
Leptar - oppression, torture
Orcus Suffering, mass destruction, undead
Skuld Fury, cruelty, suicide
Bagni Gullymaw Trolls, cannibalism, violence

Thurbane
2015-01-21, 08:12 PM
The go to guy in Greyhawk is Iuz (portfolio: Deceit, Pain, Oppression, Evil; CE; Domains: Chaos, Evil, Mind, Trickery & Tyranny).

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/4810/iuzoc5.jpg

DrMotives
2015-01-21, 09:07 PM
Sure, Loviatar as mentioned. If you want more about her, Forgotten Realms actually borrowed The Cold Maiden from Finnish mythology.

Honest Tiefling
2015-01-21, 09:09 PM
If the Cold Maiden wears that much leather and studs, then Finland is pretty damn metal.

holywhippet
2015-01-21, 09:17 PM
Feel free to worship her.
The Lady isn't a god (probably) and will certainly not answer any acts of devotion, but won't do anything about it...until you enter Sigil.
If you try worshipping her there or enter after worshipping, well, she isn't called the Lady of Pain for nothing. But there are always crazies out there who think it's worth trying.

Does she actually hurt those who annoy her? I thought she either mazed them or just killed them outright. In the PC game Plansescape: Torment that was one of the game over options - worship her until she mazed you, then after you escape worship again until she ends you.

Blackhawk748
2015-01-21, 09:47 PM
Doesnt Erythnul count? I mean ya hes the god of slaughter but i think pain should be in his portfolio.

fallensavior
2015-01-21, 09:54 PM
I have an idea for a character who is a sadistic favored soul and a god of pain enjoys his antics. If there is where can I find info about him.

I think you might be looking for Ilmater.

Honest Tiefling
2015-01-21, 10:01 PM
There actually was a cult of Ilmater, I think they were active during the Time of Troubles? I think they caused great deal of pain, caused riots and kidnapped people. I think making a heretical Favored Soul of Ilmater to force people to appreciate or to share in his burden would be hilarious.

holywhippet
2015-01-21, 10:48 PM
I think Ilmater is the god of suffering rather than pain. He doesn't want his followers to cause suffering but rather to ease the suffering of others by taking their pain unto themselves.

BWR
2015-01-22, 12:16 AM
Does she actually hurt those who annoy her? I thought she either mazed them or just killed them outright. In the PC game Plansescape: Torment that was one of the game over options - worship her until she mazed you, then after you escape worship again until she ends you.

The way she kills them is pretty painful. And being stuck alone in place for goodness knows how many years until you die knowing that there is a way but you just can't find it seems pretty painful to me.

A_S
2015-01-22, 01:09 AM
If the Cold Maiden wears that much leather and studs, then Finland is pretty damn metal.
(emphasis mine)

Isn't this already a pretty well-established and uncontroversial fact?

Hiro Quester
2015-01-22, 01:15 AM
Repeating Hobosub's suggestion of Scahrossar (book of Vile Darkness, p 11-12).

From the Wikipedia entry:

Scahrossar is depicted as a woman wearing tight black studded leather that conceals even her face. She holds a whip and a hook. She is selfish, domineering, and cruel....

Scahrossar's clerics dress as their mistress does, preferring to hide their identities with leather or iron masks. They are all sadists who prefer to cause pain rather than actually kill, and most are masochists as well. They devise new torments and devices in their spare time.

She sounds custom-designed for your needs.

Andezzar
2015-01-22, 01:16 AM
Doesnt Erythnul count? I mean ya hes the god of slaughter but i think pain should be in his portfolio.Nah, I don't think so. Erythnul is more like Khorne from Warhammer (40K) and Slaanesh would be the god of pain (among other excesses). Those two are actually antithetical. When you are inflicting pain and suffering you are not offering skulls to Khorne's skull throne.

magicalmagicman
2015-01-22, 01:16 AM
Don't Loviatarian clerics have to dance around barefoot over barbed wire while flailing themselves with a mace every night for their spells?

captain fubar
2015-01-22, 02:00 AM
Aflux from the book of questionable Latin. his thing is about extracting every last secret from his victims via torture / dissection no matter how small or unimportant it might be. he is the only one to offer the death-bound domain. one of his rites is that if his follower fails to inflict sufficient pain on a intended victim before the sacrifice succumbs then said follower if still living is expected to wound them self to reach their pain quota.

Psyren
2015-01-22, 10:19 AM
To add Eberron to the mix, The Mockery from the Dark 6 has flayed skin and his dogma involves being cruel.

There actually was a cult of Ilmater, I think they were active during the Time of Troubles? I think they caused great deal of pain, caused riots and kidnapped people. I think making a heretical Favored Soul of Ilmater to force people to appreciate or to share in his burden would be hilarious.

The "Ilmateri" who glorify causing pain to themselves and others are secretly Loviatarans in disguise.

Blackhawk748
2015-01-22, 07:59 PM
Nah, I don't think so. Erythnul is more like Khorne from Warhammer (40K) and Slaanesh would be the god of pain (among other excesses). Those two are actually antithetical. When you are inflicting pain and suffering you are not offering skulls to Khorne's skull throne.

Probably right, but waht about insanely painful death? Im pretty sure that a Spiked Chain hurts like all hell when you get hit with it.

Honest Tiefling
2015-01-22, 08:00 PM
The "Ilmateri" who glorify causing pain to themselves and others are secretly Loviatarans in disguise.

Huh. Did that get clarified in later material? I thought the true nature of the heretical cult was a mystery in 2nd and 3rd edition.

Mr.Kraken
2015-01-22, 11:07 PM
Scahrossar is probably the best option, but also worthy of mention is Rallaster from BoVD as well.