PDA

View Full Version : Animal Companion to Cohort

Thuphinlok
2015-01-21, 03:15 PM
Ok so here's the scoop guys. I am playing a druid with the Elemental Companion ACF. I elected an earth elemental and now at lvl 6 I want to take leadership and have the Elemental be my new cohort. It has already been approved by the DM, so that is not a problem. My question here pertains to another player and myself disagreeing on how the elemental should be adjusted. The DM is reviewing the case now, but I just wanted to get a little feedback from the pros!

My case:
The elemental is statted straight from the MM from top to bottom, as a medium earth elemental. I say taking it as a cohort will treat it as a ECL 4 character, 4RHD and no LA just as it says in the MM. From there it is my feeling that it should level the same way any other cohort would, and I should be able to advance it either as a regular elemental by size (obviously it would need a progression similar to Savage Species or something along those lines), or by giving it regular class levels.

His case:
The elemental should have an increased LA due to it not being a normaly playable race (LA- in the stat block). He suggested that a Large elemental should be a LA5, and that medium should be somewhere around 1-2.

I don't really care one way or another as this character is built ENTIRELY for fluff rather than crunch (I am getting rid of my Ac, and I gave up wild shape forthe Deadly hunter ACF), so I am in no way interested in power gaming, but I didn't really see a reason to increase the LA for the elemental at all much less by 2. What do you guys think?

And just as a side note, there is no animosity anywhere at the table, we just like to discuss things.

Thuphinlok

Inevitability
2015-01-21, 03:20 PM
LA - means 'not playable'. It is often confused with LA +0, which equals 'very much playable'.

Don't despair though, I believe Savage Species has an Earth Elemental progression. Give your rocky buddy levels in that until he is of an appropriate ECL and continue advancing him when your leadership score increases.

Thuphinlok
2015-01-21, 03:32 PM
Yea, I know that LA- typically means non-playable, but it has already been approved by the DM. I was asking if you think the earth elemental from MM1 should have an additional LA if played as a medium cohort with 4RHD (as appropriate to a medium elemental).