PDA

View Full Version : Maztica info

j_spencer93
2015-01-21, 04:03 PM
Ok I am trying to finish fleshing out my Faerun world and am curious if their is any 3.x info on Maztica? i have some but would like to know all there is, did anyone do an unofficial update or anything like they did for dark sun.

j_spencer93
2015-01-21, 06:36 PM
wow dragon 315 is all there is...

Thrice Dead Cat
2015-01-21, 06:55 PM
I'm not sure if anything was updated in 4E, but it's likely that most of the info will come from old 2E sources.

j_spencer93
2015-01-21, 11:16 PM
ya aside from some fan stuff and that specific article it seems im going to be digging into 2.E. really thought it would have been supported better but guess not

jedipotter
2015-01-22, 12:18 AM
Maztica never got much support. Everyone just said ''ok, nice'' and forgot about it.

Kraken
2015-01-22, 12:21 AM
Yeah, Maztica never got meaningful 3.5 support. I think Kara-Tur might have gotten a few mentions in 3.5, but other than that, 3.5 Toril is basically Faerun only.

afroakuma
2015-01-22, 12:44 AM
I can talk about Maztica to the extent that there's any information on it. It would be material from 2E, though, since... etc.

Jeff the Green
2015-01-22, 01:29 AM
Yeah, Maztica never got meaningful 3.5 support. I think Kara-Tur might have gotten a few mentions in 3.5, but other than that, 3.5 Toril is basically Faerun only.

It's mentioned a few times in reference to Helmites' atrocities there, but I think that's it.

I can talk about Maztica to the extent that there's any information on it. It would be material from 2E, though, since... etc.

I'd like that.

Bullet06320
2015-01-22, 03:27 AM
mostly just 2nd edition, the box set, 3 adventures(City of Gold,Endless Armies and Fires of Zatal) and 3 novels(Ironhelm, Viperhand, and Feathered Dragon)

Dragon 315 as already mentioned gives a little bit

a brief mention in The Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide and a couple mentions in The Grand History of the Realms

They ripped it out for 4th edition, but supposedly back for 5th edition, no idea if they have any plans to expand on it tho

atemu1234
2015-01-22, 10:17 AM
Yeah, not much out there. But, if you want to convert it to Xendrik or vice-versa, it might work.

j_spencer93
2015-01-22, 02:25 PM
ya looks like 5.0 is returning faerun back to how it should be. like mulhorandi and other places no longer apparently being destroyed, can't wait to see what support FR gets.

afroakuma
2015-01-22, 03:08 PM
I should really write up my update of Toril some day; it was a heck of a lot better than that Spellplague nonsense.

j_spencer93
2015-01-22, 05:12 PM
not all of the spellplague was bad, i liked the idea of spell scars and etc, just not sure why they destroyed entire countries all that bull. seemed very dumb and almost like they got tired of trying to keep it a large living world.

afroakuma
2015-01-25, 05:37 PM
What specific info about Maztica were you looking for?

j_spencer93
2015-01-26, 12:21 PM
races and creatures that live there mainly as well as more about their types of magic

kalasulmar
2015-01-26, 12:50 PM
I should really write up my update of Toril some day; it was a heck of a lot better than that Spellplague nonsense.

That's setting the bar kinda low, isn't it?

j_spencer93
2015-01-26, 12:57 PM
Well certainly not the hardest bar to meet.

afroakuma
2015-01-27, 02:10 PM
races and creatures that live there mainly as well as more about their types of magic

Maztica is not home to a particularly large number of conventional races; instead, there are many different human nations with noteworthy differences. Aside from the humans, there are jungle halflings, desert dwarves and the jaguarlike tabaxi, as well as any members of other races who have come over from Faerun. A small tribe of elves known as the Poscadar is said to have traveled down into Maztica from a northern land of ice and snow.

In terms of monsters, the following are all encountered somewhere in Maztica, although rarely near human settlements: aarakocra, ankhegs, behirs, beholders, bichir, bunyips, carnivorous plants, carrion crawlers, couatl, doppelgangers, dragon turtles, fire giants, hakuna (dragonnes), harpies, hill giants, hippocampi, jackalweres, kelpies, merfolk, mudmen, nixies, rhaumbusun, sahuagin, sea lions, selkies, treants, tritons, werejeaguars, wyverns and even yeti (in the mountains). There are a very small number of dragons on Maztica and it is extremely rare to encounter one. There is only one type of dragon indigenous to Maztica, a serpentine creature known as the rain dragon, rain serpent or Maztican dragon which bears two heads and is responsible for bringing the rains.

There are also creatures wholly native to Maztica, including the spirit creatures known as the chac, the horrific ogrelike jagre, peaceful and benevolent plumazotl and a relative of the displacer beast known as the kamatlan. Also indigenous to Maztica are a magically-created guardian race of ant warriors called bacar, rather similar to formians. An aquatic monster, the ahuizotl, is a dangerous river predator.

There are two major forms of unique magic indigenous to Maztica, as well as a handful of smaller traditions.

Hishna and pluma magic are two sides of the same coin, ritualistic and object-focused forms of magic that lie somewhere between arcane and divine magic in nature, despite originating with the gods Zaltec and Qotal, respectively. While clerics of the gods can wield these forms of magic, only those known as artisans can truly master it as they work toward creating an ultimate, unique talisman. Hishna is jaguar magic, the magic of shadows, fierceness and talons flashing in the night. Pluma is bird magic, the magic of feather and flower, of life and light. The two are extremely similar, divergent only in their desires and a few basic specialties. Neither is tremendously powerful.

Fetish magic involves calling on animal spirits and is a very narrow branch of spellcasting, only practiced by a small group known as fetish rogues. Fetish magic is very limited in the effects it can produce and in those it can affect, for only spells dealing with natural beasts can be performed, and the only targets a fetish rogue can affect are those whom he carries a completed fetish depiction of.

Talismanic magic can be very powerful; it is a component of the Azuposi priesthood's practices wherein handcrafted talismans are used to enhance specific spells. A given talisman can increase the caster level of a spell or its saving throw DC, but not both. A talismanic magician can only have one talisman active on a spell at a given time and each talisman must be personally handcrafted by the caster - no borrowing someone else's. Talismanic magic is heavily associated with spirit magic.

j_spencer93
2015-01-27, 04:27 PM
so no 3.x conversions for almost any of that though...which sucks. I would love to have feats or something for more branches of magic.

LoyalPaladin
2015-01-27, 04:37 PM
Thanks for all that info afroakuma! I am a Forgotten Realms exclusive DM and am always happy to get more info.