View Full Version : Crossbow Expert - Clarification Needed

Kerilstrasz
2015-01-21, 04:13 PM
Thanks to extensive practice with the crossbow, you
gain the following benefits:
• You ignore the loading quality of crossbows with
which you are proficient.
• Being within 5 feet of a hostile creature doesn’t
impose disadvantage on your ranged attack rolls.
• When you use the Attack action and attack with a one-
handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack
with a loaded hand crossbow you are holding.
ok..
lets focus on the 3rd "Trait" of this feat..
Assume X character wielding just 1 Hand Crossbow.
Can he use that 3rd trait ???

The way i see it.. since we now ignore the loading quality of the Xbows, and since character X has a hand free,
to load the Xbow (even if now it takes no time), does this single Xbow considered "loaded" to do the 2nd attack ???

thank you for your time :smallwink:

Easy_Lee
2015-01-21, 04:20 PM
There's been a lot of debate about this. Crawford says that you ignore the word "loaded" since that's just fluff. Mearls said the feat "should" specify that a different weapon must make the first attack than is used for the bonus attack.

In other words, the RAW wording allows for a single hand crossbow proccing its own bonus attacks, while the (apparent) RAI developer intent is that players dual wield a hand crossbow with another one handed weapon to achieve the bonus attack.

So, in short, ask your DM.

Alucard2099
2015-01-21, 04:34 PM
There's been a lot of debate about this. Crawford says that you ignore the word "loaded" since that's just fluff. Mearls said the feat "should" specify that a different weapon must make the first attack than is used for the bonus attack.

In other words, the RAW wording allows for a single hand crossbow proccing its own bonus attacks, while the (apparent) RAI developer intent is that players dual wield a hand crossbow with another one handed weapon to achieve the bonus attack.

So, in short, ask your DM.

I agree... however, the real question is, Can that bonus attack be agenst an enemy you didn't just attack with a different weapon?

Easy_Lee
2015-01-21, 04:43 PM
I agree... however, the real question is, Can that bonus attack be agenst an enemy you didn't just attack with a different weapon?

"You can use a bonus action to attack with...". It doesn't say the target has to be the same, so it seems there are no restrictions

Alucard2099
2015-01-21, 04:50 PM
"You can use a bonus action to attack with...". It doesn't say the target has to be the same, so it seems there are no restrictions

Hot damn! I know how my Rogue Assassin is going to be skilled now.

Ent
2015-01-21, 04:51 PM
Rule of Cool: I'd let a player shoot twice from one hand crossbow - it would let them hold a shield or melee weapon in the other, makes for a more versatile combat. I don't see this as OP (your goblins can do it too!).

CrusaderJoe
2015-01-21, 04:54 PM
Do note that when it comes to rulings Crawford > Mearles. By mearles own admission no less.

Easy_Lee
2015-01-21, 05:19 PM
Rule of Cool: I'd let a player shoot twice from one hand crossbow - it would let them hold a shield or melee weapon in the other, makes for a more versatile combat. I don't see this as OP (your goblins can do it too!).

You know, I think it's possible to go hand crossbow + Shield either way. You would just have to shield bash someone as one of your attacks that round in order to qualify for the bonus. One-handed improvised attack = one handed attack.