PDA

View Full Version : Vestige abilities while under the effects of Alter Self/Polymorph?

Thealtruistorc
2015-01-21, 06:16 PM
So I'm building an anima mage character with levels in binder (because let's face it, Bind Vestige isn't a good feat), and a question arose with my character's build: do my vestige abilities still function while under the effects of Alter Self or Polymorph? Can I still gain the benefit of Ronove's cold iron attacks ability? What about Amon's natural weapon that is created when I show his sign? Are signs suppressed in my altered shape, or do I keep them so long as the creature is bound to me?

Chronos
2015-01-21, 07:16 PM
Signs show up no matter what form you're in, unless you're suppressing them. So if you bind Amon and turn into a troglodyte, you're now a troglodyte with ram horns. And given that you still have the ram horns, I see no reason you wouldn't be able to attack with them.

Oh, and you don't need to have binder levels, plural, to take Anima Mage. I agree with you that it's better to just go ahead and take one real level, but then you take the Improved Binding feat, which is really good even for single-classed binders, and instantly qualify for Anima Mage.

Thealtruistorc
2015-01-21, 07:42 PM
Signs show up no matter what form you're in, unless you're suppressing them. So if you bind Amon and turn into a troglodyte, you're now a troglodyte with ram horns. And given that you still have the ram horns, I see no reason you wouldn't be able to attack with them.

Oh, and you don't need to have binder levels, plural, to take Anima Mage. I agree with you that it's better to just go ahead and take one real level, but then you take the Improved Binding feat, which is really good even for single-classed binders, and instantly qualify for Anima Mage.

I took just one level and then snagged improved binding ("levels" was a mistype). However, while the ram horns are rather obvious the question in regards to things like blindsense or supernatural abilities remains.

A Tad Insane
2015-01-21, 07:45 PM
I took just one level and then snagged improved binding ("levels" was a mistype). However, while the ram horns are rather obvious the question in regards to things like blindsense or supernatural abilities remains.

So long as you have a vestige bound to your soul, and you're not in an anti-magic field, you get all your powers. Why would you think you wouldn't?

Psyren
2015-01-21, 07:46 PM
It's more accurate to say that signs CAN show up in another form. But the real answer is, yes, you can hide them with polymorph or illusions if you choose.

A Binder can hide a sign by either mundane or magical means. Furthermore, a binder with the suppress sign class feature can choose when to show a vestige's sign.

However, abilities that require your sign to be visible won't work while you're hiding it.

Crake
2015-01-21, 08:04 PM
It's more accurate to say that signs CAN show up in another form. But the real answer is, yes, you can hide them with polymorph or illusions if you choose.

However, abilities that require your sign to be visible won't work while you're hiding it.

I don't actually believe you can opt in to show your sign when you magically transform.