PDA

View Full Version : What to pick as a second Favored Enemy for Ranger?

Bugworlds
2015-01-21, 11:55 PM
I'm hopefully starting my first 5e campaign soon as the rest of those who I should be playing with actually put some time into learning the game... so I thought it would be good to get some characters ready. Right now I'm tinkering with a Drow (Dark Elf), Ranger, Charlitan w/ favored enemy as Humans and one other humanoid; although I'm undecided on that second choice. I have not yet spoken with the DM to see what humanoids will be common in the campaign. Same goes for terrain, but I'm leaning towards forest, swamp, or underdark. Beastmaster path is preferenced. At level 4 or 5 I'll be multiclassing into a spell caster or rouge, and playing fairly rouge-like anyways.

Any suggestions, in particular about the favored enemy?

edit: Something that crossed my mind as well, would one who's favored enemy is a human have the benefits when fighting a half human?

Dalebert
2015-01-22, 10:25 AM
A different class? :smallwink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F4qzPbcFiA

Shining Wrath
2015-01-22, 10:57 AM
The choice of favored enemy must be made in concert with the DM, and you need to be able to trust your DM. You have to know what the world is like - a "real" Drow Ranger would have chosen favored enemies based on what he met in life, not something he picked off a list posted on the wall in the Ranger's Guild.

And please - it's "rogue". "Rouge" is something you use to make your cheeks pink and does not work well on Drow. It's also the French word for "red".

Tarrab
2015-01-22, 12:12 PM
edit: Something that crossed my mind as well, would one who's favored enemy is a human have the benefits when fighting a half human?

I donīt think it would. I would rule that for favored enemy to apply to a Tiefling you would have to get Favored Enemy Fiends, and for Halforcs you would have to get Favored Enemy Orc. You know that you can choose TWO humanoid races (Elf, Human) as a Favored Enemy instead of the listed species, right?

I donīt see why it matters that much, though, since there is literally NO COMBAT BENEFIT when using Favored Enemy. Honestly, this is the first reason why people hate the Ranger so much... Aragon, you shall be missed...

T.

Bugworlds
2015-01-23, 01:43 AM

I saw that response coming. Even thought about pre-answering it. Yes, that would be good but taking the assumption I'm building a Ranger... As for the video; yup, correct and applicable. Lets call this an exercise ;)

The choice of favored enemy must be made in concert with the DM, and you need to be able to trust your DM. You have to know what the world is like - a "real" Drow Ranger would have chosen favored enemies based on what he met in life, not something he picked off a list posted on the wall in the Ranger's Guild.

And please - it's "rogue". "Rouge" is something you use to make your cheeks pink and does not work well on Drow. It's also the French word for "red".

I'm certain I can work a proper explanation into why my particular character has a hate for humans, but you are right. As for the mispelling, well I just suck.

I donīt think it would. I would rule that for favored enemy to apply to a Tiefling you would have to get Favored Enemy Fiends, and for Halforcs you would have to get Favored Enemy Orc. You know that you can choose TWO humanoid races (Elf, Human) as a Favored Enemy instead of the listed species, right?

I donīt see why it matters that much, though, since there is literally NO COMBAT BENEFIT when using Favored Enemy. Honestly, this is the first reason why people hate the Ranger so much... Aragon, you shall be missed...

T.

C'mon.. learning that extra language can totaly potentially maybe get you somewhere in battle.. Yup.

Anyone know if there's a list of humanoids floating about? I wasn't able to find one.

silveralen
2015-01-23, 02:38 AM

T.

The fact Aragorn can no longer specialize in two handed weapons doesn't help.

Malifice
2015-01-23, 03:54 AM
The fact Aragorn can no longer specialize in two handed weapons doesn't help.

He dipped fighter.

Also; Narsil/Anduril is a longsword:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/samurai_/SNC16668.jpg

Not a 2handed/ Greatsword:

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/15911/15828518_1.jpg?v=8CFF42A9710E580

silveralen
2015-01-23, 04:53 AM
He dipped fighter.

Also; Narsil/Anduril is a longsword:

Not a 2handed/ Greatsword:

Which might work if he didn't use it mainly two handed (as with versatile).

Kane0
2015-01-23, 05:20 AM
I'm hopefully starting my first 5e campaign soon as the rest of those who I should be playing with actually put some time into learning the game... so I thought it would be good to get some characters ready. Right now I'm tinkering with a Drow (Dark Elf), Ranger, Charlitan w/ favored enemy as Humans and one other humanoid; although I'm undecided on that second choice. I have not yet spoken with the DM to see what humanoids will be common in the campaign. Same goes for terrain, but I'm leaning towards forest, swamp, or underdark. Beastmaster path is preferenced. At level 4 or 5 I'll be multiclassing into a spell caster or rouge, and playing fairly rouge-like anyways.

Any suggestions, in particular about the favored enemy?

I'd pick two of Dwarves, Elves, Dragonborn or Tieflings as each gives you a language which is bound to pop up at some point. Most drow hate Elves as a racial trait, so thats always a good start.
For a drow human is also a good pick as it gives you common where you would normally have undercommon as your regular language (not what the handbook says, but you get the idea).

So humans and elves, or dwarves and elves, depending on which you think you would want to hunt most of the time.
Your terrain would be subterrainian of course, drow living underground and all. Also it encompasses a huge array of locations, including where many dwarves live and places dungeons are situated.

Balor777
2015-01-23, 05:57 AM

Really? :smallbiggrin:
http://anydice.com/program/51ac
Fighter11 vs Ranger11 both at 20STR attacking a 17AC target.Fighter with great weapon style rerroling 1-2s.Ranger TWF style+Pet(Giant lizard)
All included(miss/crit)
Fighter 23.9 average damage per round
Ranger 24.19 average damage per round[28.3 with hunter's mark which will probably have active vs all encounters at 11level(1hour per cast)]
By MM:
''A giant lizard can be ridden or used as a draft animal.
Lizardfolk also keep them as pets, and subterranean
giant lizards are used as mounts and pack animals by
drow, duergar, and other Underdark dwellers.''

silveralen
2015-01-23, 06:13 AM
Really? :smallbiggrin:
http://anydice.com/program/51ac
Fighter11 vs Ranger11 both at 20STR attacking a 17AC target.Fighter with great weapon style rerroling 1-2s.Ranger TWF style+Pet(Giant lizard)
All included(miss/crit)
Fighter 23.9 average damage per round
Ranger 24.19 average damage per round[28.3 with hunter's mark which will probably have active vs all encounters at 11level(1hour per cast)]
By MM:
''A giant lizard can be ridden or used as a draft animal.
Lizardfolk also keep them as pets, and subterranean
giant lizards are used as mounts and pack animals by
drow, duergar, and other Underdark dwellers.''

Your ranger is duel wielding 1d8 weapons, which means he took the TWF feat. The fighter is not getting either of the benefits from his great weapon feat, despite the fact he has an entire extra feat over the ranger. Recalculating to change either give fighter the advantage, and if we assume the fighter took polearm master with his additional free feat it swings even further towards him.

You also gave you lizard too high a chance to hit, it should be 55/100 not 65, he has a +8 to hit vs the +9 you had for the ranger/fighter (though obviously GWF has only 35 if he uses his ability).

If you correct for all of that, the ranger almost manages to match a fighter using feats when he uses hunter's mark, not quite but he tries. Without any feats for either, the corrected hunter barely manages to win by a point of damage using hunter's mark, and loses by 3 without it.

Balor777
2015-01-23, 07:16 AM
Your ranger is duel wielding 1d8 weapons, which means he took the TWF feat. The fighter is not getting either of the benefits from his great weapon feat, despite the fact he has an entire extra feat over the ranger. Recalculating to change either give fighter the advantage, and if we assume the fighter took polearm master with his additional free feat it swings even further towards him.
If you mean the -5 +10 then he will have 35%chances to hit making the average damage worse.The Polearm master d4(if you add sthe STR too).EDITq BUT YOU DEAL D10 DAMAGE
You also gave you lizard too high a chance to hit, it should be 55/100 not 65, he has a +8 to hit vs the +9 you had for the ranger/fighter (though obviously GWF has only 35 if he uses his ability).
The PH says you add your prof bonus to the beast AC/att rolls/damage rolls so its +10 to the attack roll for each attack for 1d8+6 damage each.
If you correct for all of that, the ranger almost manages to match a fighter using feats when he uses hunter's mark, not quite but he tries. Without any feats for either, the corrected hunter barely manages to win by a point of damage using hunter's mark, and loses by 3 without it.

EDIT: If you use the polearm master feat yuo must use polearm for 3d10 not 6d6 damage.
This is the new formula:
http://anydice.com/program/51b1
You are still behind at damage with polearm cause d10 is far inferior to 2d6.

silveralen
2015-01-23, 08:01 AM
EDIT: If you use the polearm master feat yuo must use polearm for 3d10 not 6d6 damage.
This is the new formula:
http://anydice.com/program/51b1
You are still behind at damage with polearm cause d10 is far inferior to 2d6.

That's still not correct.

1. http://anydice.com/program/51b3

This one has the correct accuracy for your pet (it has a +8 to attack, you use a +10 for some reason) and has the correct value for the critical damage of the polearm.

2. http://anydice.com/program/51b4

This one has the GWM +10/-5 accounted for, since fighter will have an extra feat than ranger at this level.

Balor777
2015-01-23, 09:14 AM
Your formulas are correct yes
output (3d{1..2:2,3..10:12}+15+d10*30/100+d4+5+d4*10/100)*60/100 named " lvl 11 fighter polearm w/GWF 19-20 CRIT"
On the -5+10 now i dont think you can add +10 to the d4 damage.At least it wont work in my logic it seams more of rule abuse to me.
BUT we must ask that on the WOTC guys about it.Ill do it if they didnt answeared fot it allready.

Shining Wrath
2015-01-23, 09:22 AM
Guys, if OP wants to play a ranger our job is to help him with his build, not tell him about the not-totally-overwhelming numerical advantages of fighter in DPR.

List of humanoids: start with the races presented in the PHB, add Bugbear, Goblin, Hobgoblin, Kenku, Sahuagin, Aarocka, Kuo-toa, Lizardman - working from memory here so check these.

Tarrab
2015-01-23, 11:39 AM
Guys, if OP wants to play a ranger our job is to help him with his build, not tell him about the not-totally-overwhelming numerical advantages of fighter in DPR.

List of humanoids: start with the races presented in the PHB, add Bugbear, Goblin, Hobgoblin, Kenku, Sahuagin, Aarocka, Kuo-toa, Lizardman - working from memory here so check these.

Absolutely 100% right! Rangers can be AWESOME, specially in an RP sense (but that is consistently up to your DM). When I have a player who wants to go Ranger I usually create opportunities to make its many "whelmed" class abilties come into play in tasteful ways. I do recommend however that you choose favored enemies and terrains that usually pop up in the campaign a lot (Seas or Oceans in Athas wouldnīt be my first choice).

In my game a player asked to play a Ranger, and to make him less reluctant, I also allowed Favored Enemy targetīs to be dealt an extra die of damage with whatever weapon the ranger uses (he choose defense and carries a Greataxe, so I might have been led astray there :smallannoyed: ).

I donīt know if itīs been pointed out, but rangers do become awesome ranged fighters. Sharpshooter (and crossbow expert to effectively use a hand crossbow and a shield) are awesome choices, and so is Alert and a three level dip in Rogue Assassin (watchīem die fore the fight starts, as my daddy used ta say).

Balor777
2015-01-23, 12:24 PM

Fighter does less DPR but your right.We went off topic.Human and Elf sound nice too me.

Shining Wrath
2015-01-23, 02:56 PM
Fighter does less DPR but your right.We went off topic.Human and Elf sound nice too me.

I'm not going to get into the DPR debate because I've seen it argued both ways but haven't taken the time to check people's math & assumptions. I'm going to guess that whichever one wins, it isn't by 50%, or even 25%. It's fairly close, that's why there's a debate. Therefore, play whatever floats your boat.

I think if a Drow Ranger does not chose Elf as a favored enemy, Lolth arises from the depths of the Abyss and gives him a spanking. You do not want to be spanked by someone with 8 legs and 2 arms.

Human is a good second choice, but as I said, talk to the DM.

Garimeth
2015-01-23, 03:00 PM
I do recommend however that you choose favored enemies and terrains that usually pop up in the campaign a lot (Seas or Oceans in Athas wouldnīt be my first choice).

So much this. That should be the number one consideration.

DM: Hey guys I'm running a mounain campaign with giants and orcs!
Ranger's Player: *Jotting suspiciously in a notepad* Noted....