PDA

View Full Version : If you were/are in a band what type of music would/do you play?

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-03, 01:09 AM
I dunno if this should go here, or in Friendly Banter, but anyway, if you were in a band, what type of music would you play?

Personally, I would go for a metal band, that plays very blues influenced stuff. Maybe with a bit of progressive influence too. Although I wouldn't keep the blues chord progression, which although I like it, I find it somewhat limiting, although it never stopped those blues legends. The blues influence would be more in the melody- using a lot of the blues scale, blue notes and all that jazz (irony intended). I would try to keep the crunching chords, but I would prefer to use full barre chords instead of just throwing out power chord after power chord. I would have the music slow, until the climax of the songs, at which point I would increase the speed for soloing. I would also like the music to have a lot of bass solos- the bass is an awesome instrument that doesn't deserve to be used solely for backing. The progressive influence would probably come from my favourite progressive rock band, King Crimson. I would use lower distortion than most metal bands- although distortion supposedly improves the sound, you can only really play power chords with it- barre chords sound odd with high distortion.

General Leitmann
2007-04-03, 01:09 PM
I actually am looking to start a band soon.

I love to play in the Art-Rock sort of style, very Pink Floyd influenced. Don't get me wrong, I love to throw my guitar into Dropped-C and play some heavy shtuff, as a matter of fact (hehe), I have custom strings on mah gee-tar that let me play soaring 'Floyd inspired solos and heavy, metal-industrial inspired riffs.

ElfLad
2007-04-03, 02:07 PM
I'd just do heavy metal covers of Light Rock songs.

I'd also "adjust" the lyrics to fit in with a Viking theme.

And I would shout, "ONWARD TO VALHALLA!" more than is healthy.

Dragor
2007-04-03, 02:23 PM
Really want to form a band- the problem is having mates who can play instruments.

I'd quite happily do singing for some Metal, although not to the point of screaming demonic crap which nobody can understand (probably as far as the distance it goes on "I'm Alive" by Blind Guardian). So, yeah, probably some Metal music.

FdL
2007-04-03, 02:42 PM
I've always wanted to make an alt.country based band, but probably would have influences from power pop, twee/chamber pop like B&S, noise and other things. Kinda like Wilco, I guess :p

The Orange Zergling
2007-04-03, 03:28 PM
I have no musical talent whatsoever, but if I was in a band, I'd do either Blind Guardian-esque metal, or Era/Lesium-esque new age stuff. Or both.

Joran
2007-04-03, 03:59 PM
Whichever music would help me sell-out the fastest.

Barring that... uhh... I guess singer/songwriter/folkish stuff.

Amotis
2007-04-03, 04:06 PM
I've always wanted to make an alt.country based band, but probably would have influences from power pop, twee/chamber pop like B&S, noise and other things. Kinda like Wilco, I guess :p

I am interested and wish to subscribe join (to) your newsletter band. :smalltongue:

Whichever music would help me sell-out the fastest.

That would be Christian Rock, as pointed out by South Park.

I've gots a post rock-y/noise-y/folk-y/blues-y/classical-y group I'm in.

I also got my singersongwriting/producing stuff that my friends chip in vocals and instruments to now and then. This one happens more because the only one that has to show up for practice...is well; me.

Deckmaster
2007-04-03, 04:54 PM
I'd have a band that fuses elements of alternative rock, metal, and nerdcore rap to create a new genre; geek metal!

(I'm serious, BTW)

Scorpina
2007-04-03, 05:11 PM
I used to be in a female fronted doom/gothic metal band. That was pretty fun.

I think, in a new band, I'd like to play progressive power metal. Maybe with female vocals, but maybe not, since I'd want a sound closer to Blind Guardian or Stratovarius than Nightwish. I'd like to try playing that kind of music with a piano as the focal instrument, rather than guitar (althoguh there'd probably still be guitars in the band)

Edit: Oh, and I want to play a metal version of 'Ninety-Nine Red Balloons' or 'Neunundneunzig Luftballon'. Just 'cause.

ZombieRockStar
2007-04-03, 05:25 PM
No band, but I do write some of my own folk-ish songs. When I finally get an electric guitar, I'll porbably go explore a more grunge-like sound. I may join a band, dunno. Depends on how serious I want to be with music. But my own musical tastes are pretty diverse so that if I ever did form a band, we'd probably play a little bit of everything.

Khantalas
2007-04-03, 05:33 PM
Jazz. Because that's all I can do. Besides, improvisation is fun.

Amotis
2007-04-03, 05:37 PM
But my own musical tastes are pretty diverse so that if I ever did form a band, we'd probably play a little bit of everything.

Welcome to my world. I've played Epic Metal. Yes me, Amotis, playing epic metal. My friend apparently likes Rhapsody in a non-ironic way...:smalleek:

But that's only a good thing (in most ways). I've played so many things, learned so many songs and styles, played with so many people, that it's a constantly growing experiance. Look at artists like Nels Cline or Jerry Goodman (whom I have met :smallamused: ) and how many people and styles they've played with. It's awesome. I strive to be like that. Not only does it make you much more technically proficient with your instrument and massively improves you musicianship (and you ability to improvise too), you meet some awesome people. Even the most introverted shy muscians (cough) become social and cool with their own "kind." And though you meet some pretencious people, the end result is always a learning experience.

Scorpina
2007-04-03, 05:39 PM
My friend apparently likes Rhapsody in a non-ironic way...:smalleek:

Rhapsody (of Fire) are awesome. Admittedly, there's only a certain degree of seriousness one should attatch to them (and power metal in general...)

Andiamo
2007-04-03, 05:45 PM
My band plays a bit of everything, it is pretty fun.

... Ah, crap. I spilled mustard on my sweater!

Amotis
2007-04-03, 05:45 PM
Rhapsody (of Fire) are awesome. Admittedly, there's only a certain degree of seriousness one should attatch to them (and power metal in general...)

I would go so far to extend that into "metal in general."

They all remind me of Spinal Tap anyway. :smallamused:
i'mmmm kidddinng.

psychoduck14
2007-04-03, 05:46 PM
punk or....happy core!....its like hard core w/ happy lyrics

Scorpina
2007-04-03, 05:48 PM

Probably a fair point. I think, really, the only metal-types who take themselves all that seriously are the church-burning Varg Vikernes and co. Black Metal types. And they're just nuts anyway.

They all remind me of Spinal Tap anyway. :smallamused:m kidddinng.

And this is a bad thing... why?

Amotis
2007-04-03, 05:48 PM
We would never be able to see a metal band live? They would get lost backstage.

Khantalas
2007-04-03, 05:49 PM
But do all metal bands go up to 11?

ElfLad
2007-04-03, 05:50 PM

They all remind me of Spinal Tap anyway. :smallamused:
i'mmmm kidddinng.

You mean I'm not the only one who can't listen to War Pigs without thnking of Stonehenge?

"Generals gather in their masses... No one knows 'oo they were, or... what they were doin'... But their legacy remains..."

Scorpina
2007-04-03, 05:51 PM
But do all metal bands go up to 11?

No. No, only the finest of bands go up to 11.

Jorkens
2007-04-03, 08:20 PM
I'd just do heavy metal covers of Light Rock songs.

I'd also "adjust" the lyrics to fit in with a Viking theme.

And I would shout, "ONWARD TO VALHALLA!" more than is healthy.
Sounds a bit like An Albatross - at least, they had a tune called 'We Are The Lazer Viking' and did a psych / noise / metal cover of Fire by The Crazy World of Arthur Brown. Which is almost the same thing.

I'd play:
a) electric bass in a 1st / 2nd wave revivalist ska band
b) double bass in a quintet of the Hot Club of France style swing band, possibly featuring a clarinet. I used to be in a klezmer / swing band and it was ridiculous amounts of fun. And surprisingly easy.
c) double bass in a folk punk / rockabilly band - somewhere between Flogging Molly and Tiger Army. That rockabilly 'tappity tappity' drum sound would be involved. I think every double bass player secretly wants to be in a rockabilly band.
d) something - probably concertina given the choice - a folk band. Or at least at a session. This one's actually quite realisable, I've just got to get my arse into gear and learn a proper folk instrument. *starts saving up for concertina*
e) knob twiddling in an experimental drum and bass / dubstep / techno / ambient 'project'. Actually, this one's under way. I just need to become halfway competent.

Amotis
2007-04-03, 08:23 PM
Drum and Bass? People still do that? :smallwink:

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-03, 09:25 PM
As much as I love metal, I would also love to be in a Flogging Molly tribute band. Called Rebel's of the Sacred Heart.

Jazz Fusion would be nice. But I need skill first.

Being in a pretentious post-rock band would fit me perfectly, and the music can be very dark- look at GY!BE or Mogwai.

But I would love to be in a prog rock band. Just for the sheer potential of craziness- a 5 minute bass solo entirely in pinching, for example, or a guitar solo entirely in second fret artificial harmonics. Also, I would like to gets some very nice effects on my guitar ala Jeff Beck.

Amotis
2007-04-03, 09:37 PM
I don't think Godspeed or Mogwai are dark. They are post rock, pushing stuff. And I get annoyed at anyone who calls GY!BE apocalyptic music. Bands that have a typical mood are boring. Just as neither of them has had a perfect album (though GY!BE has come very close), they don't look back or to themselves for music, they look forward. You can't be a certain tone and you can't be have a perfect album like that, you can't see yourself as what you released before, the band isn't what you before but what you're doing now.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-03, 10:10 PM
I more meant specific albums, like Happy Music for Happy People. And The Dead Flag Blues is one of the darker songs I have, and I have some really dark neofolk stuff on here.

psychoduck14
2007-04-03, 10:20 PM
No. No, only the finest of bands go up to 11.

how do you explain slipnot?

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-03, 10:21 PM
Well, see, Slipknot is a goddamn awful band, so the matter never came up.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-03, 10:29 PM
melodic death

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-03, 10:46 PM
Also, I can think of one incredibly good band that doesn't go up to 11: Bob Dylan.

Deckmaster
2007-04-03, 10:47 PM
Why are there so many different metal genres? What, every time a new metal band comes out we gotta think up a new genre for it?

"My band's name is Doom Puppy. We're a hardcore doom/death epic trash speed gothic power metal band."

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-03, 10:49 PM
There are far more genres of rock. Also, each one is different, in sometimes subtle ways.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-03, 10:49 PM
becuase metal is the single greatest accomplishment of mankind.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-03, 10:55 PM
It has been scientifically proven that the pinnacle of human achievement is Bob Dylan.

Deckmaster
2007-04-03, 10:56 PM
There are far more genres of rock. Also, each one is different, in sometimes subtle ways.

I know, but I mean metal specifically (which is a genre of rock, by the way). And if the differences are only subtle, does it really merit a new sub-genre?

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-03, 10:58 PM
The differences are sometimes subtle, but in most cases they are very different. The most subtle that I could give you is post metal and doom metal- they are very similar, but still different.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-03, 11:01 PM
bob dylan is good, and we all know he has made every single song of the 20th century, but is he not a man? And thus he invented metal, so the saying is valid

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-03, 11:04 PM
Bob Dylan is the avatar of Orpheus.

Amotis
2007-04-03, 11:32 PM
Also, I can think of one incredibly good band that doesn't go up to 11: Bob Dylan.

Have you heard Live At Budakai, Desire, or Hard Rain? Doesn't sound like it.

Deckmaster
2007-04-03, 11:36 PM
Oh, god, we're about to start one of those memes, aren't we? Only instead of Chuck Norris, it'll be Bob Dylan.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-04, 12:07 AM
Amotis, it is as if you exist merely to be an anti-thesis to my musical tastes.

The Prince of Cats
2007-04-04, 03:32 AM
Well, one band is a kind of punk/grunge with a female singer (though I sing sometimes), my other band is more metal and has a male singer (who makes me feel inadequate when he sings).

Both bands have joked with me about making me do a Dream Theatre song (the first suggested "The Spirit Carries On" with me on vocals and the second wanted to see me try playing "Home" - sadists...)

ElfLad
2007-04-04, 10:45 AM
Have you heard Live At Budakai, Desire, or Hard Rain? Doesn't sound like it.

Desire is my second favorite Dylan album (after Blood on the Tracks), and I doubt I'd ever describe it as going to eleven.

Amotis
2007-04-04, 10:51 AM
That entire touring starting at Desire and continuing through Hard Rain, The Rolling Thunder Revue, contained some of the best backing and touring musicians Dylan ever had, even better then when Dylan had The Band or The Dead behind him, imho. They rocked, hard. 11 would be what I would describe it as. Just goes to show you don't need Marshall Walls to go to 11.

I couldn't find the track I wanted so Isis will have to do. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=lZWz-9x68uM)

ElfLad
2007-04-04, 10:55 AM
Dylan's vocal emotions go up to eleven. The band doesn't follow all the way.

Amotis
2007-04-04, 10:56 AM
Did you see the bassist and the violin player pelvic thrusting at each other? Did you?

Just because that clip has his vocals over the band doesn't mean much. Live the mix is completely different, the volume is high throughout the voices, this clip they probably just raised the vocals or dubbed down the band.

Scorpina
2007-04-04, 11:16 AM
Why are there so many different metal genres? What, every time a new metal band comes out we gotta think up a new genre for it?

"My band's name is Doom Puppy. We're a hardcore doom/death epic trash speed gothic power metal band."

Well, the distinctions are important... sometimes. Okay, so it might be hard to tell Symphonic Progressive Metal from Symphonic Power Metal, but try confusing Funeral Doom with Epic Power Metal...

Piedmon_Sama
2007-04-04, 11:35 AM
Let's go out on a wildly speculative whim and pretend one day I'll be good enough on my guitar to merit band membership. First, I'd want us to be called The Lizards because it's a great, simple name that I don't think I've ever seen anywhere. Second, with a name like that you know we'd have to play something fairly laid-back, so metal and grunge are out and I never liked punk. I'd go for Rockabilly/Blues, maybe with some real folk thrown in (hell, I've always wanted to play the banjo.) I wouldn't really be comfortable with much else, since I've never been one for stage personas.

Amotis
2007-04-04, 11:38 AM
The Lizards (http://www.thelizardswebsite.com/)

I would always think of The Jesus Lizard whenever hearing a name like The Lizards, which is a good thing I guess.

Piedmon_Sama
2007-04-04, 11:50 AM
I'm starting to be more sympathetic towards groups like Panic! At the Disco, honestly.

Well, no I'm not, but I can imagine the focus meetings a bit better now.

Sewer_Bandito
2007-04-04, 11:51 AM
I'm in a third wave ska band right now, playing the trombone :smallbiggrin: I'd also like to get good enough at my guitar that I could play in a 90's alt-rockish kinda band.

Hoggy
2007-04-04, 03:29 PM
I'd like to play progressive-blackened-death style metal. Kinda like Opeth or Ihsahn, or later Emperor. With a sorta epic-heavy-rock-late-Metallica feel to it. So yeah... a mess.

And, and I'd have to be backed by an orchestra of some sorts. Metal + orchestra = pwn, IMO.

The Prince of Cats
2007-04-04, 04:07 PM
Metal + orchestra = pwn, IMO.

Ever heard of Apocalyptica (http://www.apocalyptica.com/)?

Scorpina
2007-04-04, 04:26 PM
...there's better orchestral metal out there than Apocalyptica.

zeratul
2007-04-04, 04:35 PM
Rock, goth, alt rock, punk rock, or indie rock probably.

Hoggy
2007-04-04, 06:10 PM
Ever heard of Apocalyptica (http://www.apocalyptica.com/)?

I have indeed, I'm quite a fan of their's.:smallwink: What I was getting at though was more the kinda of stuff like Metallica's S&M, Dream Theatre's Score, and Dimmu Borgir's Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia. To enhance the song greatly, but not the be the centre of it.

Rama_Lei
2007-04-04, 06:47 PM
Indie./ Alt Rock/ Something with a catchy beat. Something inspired by classic rock, like the Beatles, Led zeppelin, and new stuff like Of Montreal. oh and some Korean/j-pop

Amotis
2007-04-04, 06:58 PM
Indie./ Alt Rock/ Something with a catchy beat. Something inspired by new stuff like Of Montreal.

So are you gonna tour naked?

Evil_Pacifist
2007-04-04, 07:35 PM
Firstly, let's get one thing straight: I would never willingly join or found a band. However, if I were somehow forced into doing so, it would be fairly fast and have plenty of electric bagpipes, tuning forks, fiddles, pan pipes, theremins, accordions, light saber noises, musical saws* and pipe organs, and would be named after some obscure kind of mollusk, to be decided. Or maybe not. In fact, definitely not. All the members would dress lawyers lawyers, or Robin Hood. Or both. Anyway, I'm not sure what kind of music that would be (or even music at all, for that matter), but maybe you smart people can tell me.

No. *Obligatory invisible text*

*Musical saws are overflowing with win.

FdL
2007-04-05, 12:28 AM

ROTFL!!!!! ;)

(he probably didn't get it though)

Amotis
2007-04-05, 01:28 AM
He's actually pretty well hung.

So many bloody feelings explode of why in the hells I know that.

SDF
2007-04-05, 05:50 AM
Last band I was in... meh...

I could be in lots of different style bands I suppose. I like too much music... but if I were to start one it would be a mix of Dinosaur Jr, Number Girl, Bright Eyes, and The White Stripes. Something I could have fun with really.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-05, 08:01 AM
I have decided to do an all cello Lordi cover band. It shall be called Arockalyptica.

LCR
2007-04-05, 12:00 PM
Blues Rock, I guess. Maybe with a little Soul infusion ;)

FdL
2007-04-05, 04:20 PM
I am interested and wish to subscribe join (to) your newsletter band. :smalltongue:

That would be too cool. I'd really like to be in a band with someone with whom I share musical tastes. My last experience in the intended indie/noise/shoegazer band was weird and negative.

Maybe we could put stuff together through the internet, sharing files or something. What do you think?

FdL
2007-04-05, 06:38 PM
Last band I was in... meh...

I could be in lots of different style bands I suppose. I like too much music... but if I were to start one it would be a mix of Dinosaur Jr, Number Girl, Bright Eyes, and The White Stripes. Something I could have fun with really.

This combination called my attention. I don't know Number Girl but the rest sounds great. I'd volunteer to virtually join this but today I was playing electric guitar and God am I awful! :s Meh, could be one of those days...

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2007-04-05, 07:00 PM
I played in a celtic/old-time square/contra dance for 12 years before moving to Indianapolis. I miss them.

Cyrano
2007-04-05, 07:26 PM
Imagine this collection of uber. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=FeinTNeIjzk)

Then imagine the exact opposite, backwards, with shakespeare references.
BAMF, its D'annabiersika, the newest sound to hit the market and rock bottom at the same time.

FdL
2007-04-05, 08:01 PM
Imagine this collection of uber. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=FeinTNeIjzk)

Then imagine the exact opposite, backwards, with shakespeare references.
BAMF, its D'annabiersika, the newest sound to hit the market and rock bottom at the same time.

What's the exact opposite of videogame images played to the music of Battlestar Galactica?
Is this a joke?
(Am I losing my sense of humor?)
Hmmmm...

:p