PDA

View Full Version : on your turn

Alucard2099
2015-01-22, 06:02 AM
This may seem like a simple question but. ..

Does a players reaction, even if used on someone else's turn, still count as being part of that players turn in that round?

For example, if player A sneak attacks on his turn, could he use his reaction 2 turns later, meeting all requirements, to sneak attack again?

Malifice
2015-01-22, 06:09 AM
This may seem like a simple question but. ..

Does a players reaction, even if used on someone else's turn, still count as being part of that players turn in that round?

For example, if player A sneak attacks on his turn, could he use his reaction 2 turns later, meeting all requirements, to sneak attack again?

Apparently yes; there is a designer tweet on this somewhere.

A Rogue in a party with a Battlemaster fighter with commanders strike is nasty indeed.

Alucard2099
2015-01-22, 06:16 AM
Apparently yes; there is a designer tweet on this somewhere.

Can anyone paste that tweet here by chance?

Kryx
2015-01-22, 06:24 AM
It does work on reactions. I know there is a better example but here is what I see:

1/turn would make it usable w/off turn attacks

Make sure to read his replies.

I know there is a better quote out there, but I can't find it.

holygroundj
2015-01-22, 08:12 AM
The breakdown of combat is Round: individual turns.

Some people use the forms interchangably, but they're really not.

One round is going from initiative 100 through -100 (or whatever, it's an abstract as some will have over 20 on initiative, some will have a negative modifier).

Each initiative number is a turn.

broodax
2015-01-22, 09:53 AM
More of the same, easier to read:

How does the term 'per turn' work? Could a PC who can make an attack 'per turn' make an attack on everyone elses turn? yes, though you'd still need to use your action or reaction. -M

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?1900-D-D-5th-Edition-Sage-Advice-from-Designers-Mearls-Crawford#.VMENcUfF_kU#ixzz3PYtW37CJ (How does the term 'per turn' work? Could a PC who can make an attack 'per turn' make an attack on everyone elses turn? yes, though you'd still need to use yohttp://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?1900-D-D-5th-Edition-Sage-Advice-from-Designers-Mearls-Crawford#.VMENcUfF_kU#ixzz3PYtW37CJ)

Kryx
2015-01-22, 10:39 AM
More of the same, easier to read:

That, combined with the one I posted above was what I was looking for!

Shining Wrath
2015-01-22, 10:48 AM
I think a turn should be defined in a similar manner to a day. A solar day is the length of time between sunrise and sunrise, or between noon and noon - the point being the sun is in the same position relative to the place of observation.

In the same way, a turn lasts from the same initiative point (e.g., +10) to the next time +10 rolls around - or +20, or -10.

What this means for a particular combatant is that they have a place in the initiative order, and a turn lasts from the point where that initiative is reached, until the next time it is reached.

For the nerdish, a sidereal day uses the distant stars rather than the sun, and is somewhat shorter than a solar day because the earth orbits the sun and so has to turn slightly further to bring the sun into view.

Kryx
2015-01-22, 10:53 AM
In the same way, a turn lasts from the same initiative point (e.g., +10) to the next time +10 rolls around - or +20, or -10.

That is a round, not a turn.