PDA

View Full Version : cleric multiclassing

Guillykins
2015-01-22, 11:15 AM
So I rolled a human Cleric life in our current campaign. I really want to try something different you know besides just healing and I'm looking for a couple options if anyone can help. Much appreciated.

Life Cleric 3

Str 17
Dex 10
Con 14
Int 12
Wis 18
Cha 13

Human feat: warcaster

Tarrab
2015-01-22, 11:18 AM
So I rolled a human Cleric life in our current campaign. I really want to try something different you know besides just healing and I'm looking for a couple options if anyone can help. Much appreciated.

Life Cleric 3

Str 17
Dex 10
Con 14
Int 12
Wis 18
Cha 13

Well, Life Clerics are POWAA, but if you want a couple more options why not change the domain before you start the campaign? Light and Lore clerics are beasts at ranged dmg with the Sacred Flame cantrip, War and Tempest also do ok and specialize in Martial skills, Trickery domain is just broken (according to how your DM interprets the Illusory-clone-dude).

Tarrab
2015-01-22, 11:43 AM

Life Cleric 3

Str 17
Dex 10
Con 14
Int 12
Wis 18
Cha 13

Crap, I didnīt notice that it said Multiclassing on your thread... well, any choice would be a viable one, but according to your stats, Monk, Rogue, Wiz, Sor, War, Bar and I think Ran, would be out. How bout Druid or Fighter?

Rilak
2015-01-22, 12:11 PM
Crap, I didnīt notice that it said Multiclassing on your thread... well, any choice would be a viable one, but according to your stats, Monk, Rogue, Wiz, Sor, War, Bar and I think Ran, would be out. How bout Druid or Fighter?

Druids can't wear heavy armour. Fighter would be good. But Paladin is a choice here. Aura of Vitality is amazing as Life Cleric. One of the few healing spells worth casting.

Yorrin
2015-01-22, 12:29 PM
Well, my handbook's got a multiclassing section, but it looks to me like you don't need a multiclass at all. You've got the Str to be fearsome with a spear, and since you're life domain you can use your spell slots just as easily for blasting (Guiding Bolt, Inflict Wounds, etc). And of course you're already a fine utility caster. Out of curiosity, which cantrips did you go with?

MarkTriumphant
2015-01-22, 12:36 PM
Well, Life Clerics are POWAA...

What is POWAA?

Guillykins
2015-01-22, 12:45 PM
Hmmm a 3rd level pally spell that's like 9 levels of pally right?

Guillykins
2015-01-22, 12:50 PM
Well, my handbook's got a multiclassing section, but it looks to me like you don't need a multiclass at all. You've got the Str to be fearsome with a spear, and since you're life domain you can use your spell slots just as easily for blasting (Guiding Bolt, Inflict Wounds, etc). And of course you're already a fine utility caster. Out of curiosity, which cantrips did you go with?

Sacred flame, guidance , mending

Tarrab
2015-01-22, 12:57 PM
What is POWAA?

Powaaful! Life clerics make party durable to the end, and healing themselves while healing others? Pu-leas

Luriant
2015-01-22, 01:40 PM
Sorry my bad english.

If you party need continual healing, you are in a bad group.
And multiclass is bad in 5E.

Im Nature Cleric, and I Healing in rest, or if the party have bad luck in fight.
But im a fighter, Shillelagh (Quarterstaff as magic weapon, druid cantrip) in one hand, Shield in other hand, and warcaster for casting without hands. With maximum AC and respectable damage, im a first line fighter (warcaster and CON 18 help me with concentration. Next feat i need: Polearm master, bonus attack with quarterstaff, and a new try to add divine strike (1d8/2d8 extra damage) if the first attack don't hit.

Without multicasting, better so you don't lose spells slots.
Pick Polearm Master and a Quarterstaff. Reaction attack and bonus attack with a shield, great AC and decent damage.
And if you can, Resilent for great concentration. You have 17 strengh, so you don't need

For multicasting, Fighter 1-3 levels.
First level for Second Wind, fighting styles and martial weapons (use a Pike an polearm Master) and Dueling style, (don't use TWF, you need a shield or a free hand to use Material Component).
Second level with Action surge (meh... you don't have multiattack as a fighter 11 [action surge=3more attacks as action]).
Third level... more critical, combat superiority dice, or wizard cantrips/spells using INT (abjuring school don't need great INT)

You don't need monk with 17 strengh, paladin is worse than fighter, rogue need finesse weapons, and other classes don't give enought.

So change your mind, you are a Paladin that trade 1 attack and fighting styles for a full spells list. Tell your party that your god don't aproved the continual healing the group need. As a Life Cleric, you can use 4 spells, and heal more that I heal with 6. The rest of spells, are for killing the enemies of your god.

Spacehamster
2015-01-22, 01:47 PM
Don't listen to ppl saying multiclassing is bad, it's good but it requires proper planning ahead and a good calculation what you gain and loose. But if casting is the main thing you want to do single class is prob best so you get higher spell lvls quicker. Mc is mostly good for combining nifty abilities from mundane and half or 1/3 casters. For example paladin coupled with few lvls assassin rogue to get crazy surprise nova damage, or maybe few lvls of lore bard for more skills and more expertise. :)

holygroundj
2015-01-22, 02:10 PM
multiclassing isn't bad, it just takes more effort than being a single class.

Really, when you MC, you need to know a few things:

1) How far are you going in the campaign. Are you going to hit level 20? Honestly?
2) What are you looking to do that you cannot do now?
3) What are you willing to give up.

With your scores I might have gone tempest or war cleric instead. You get the same spells as life, but the differences are nuanced enough that you can savor that flavor. Being Thor or Ares instead of a concentrated healer is enough for me.

An option is druid, but you have to talk to your DM. Does a MC druid have to forgo metal armor? if so, stay away. But if not, or if you can work something else out adding wildshape to your repertoire is cool.

Paladin can use your cleric slots for smite damage and you have a good str.

So 1) see if you can switch to a different domain.
if not, talk with your dm about how they rule certain restrictions about armor.

If not, druid, if yes, maybe paladin. But since you can switch your spells out, don't forget you have amazing versatility.

as far as combat healing goes, a level 1 heal does like 4-15 HP worth of heals. Usually this is just as effective when they're down as when they're low.

Balor777
2015-01-22, 02:21 PM

Life Cleric 3

Str 17
Dex 10
Con 14
Int 12
Wis 18
Cha 13

First of all the best overal is to get that 4th level in cleric to get the feat/+2 ASI.This would make STR 18 and CHA 14.After that you can MC to sorcerrer(trust me it works really cool when you hit 3 with the metamagics).Dont forget you WILL advance spell slots normaly but without knowing high level spells but you will twin spells using higher level slots and you will be able to burn later the useless 1st or 2nd level slots for points.You gonna like it.
-Paladin is a very solid choise too.Every 2 level paladin you get one "spell slot level" plus you will get the nice+2 damage duelist style for 20 AC with Fullplate and shield,smite evil, etc etc.

Rilak
2015-01-22, 02:30 PM
Hmmm a 3rd level pally spell that's like 9 levels of pally right?

You need Cleric 6 for Blessed Healer (this doesn't help Aura of Vitality though). Paladin 9 for 3rd level spells.

Cleric 11/Paladin 9 grants 6th/3rd level spells (8th level slots)
Cleric 9/Paladin 11 grants 5th/3rd level spells and 1d8 extra per hit (7th level slots)

Guillykins
2015-01-22, 03:49 PM
So my dm is ok with the wild shape. I'm thinking this route go the whole life concept of the earth and heavens.

Easy_Lee
2015-01-22, 04:25 PM
So my dm is ok with the wild shape. I'm thinking this route go the whole life concept of the earth and heavens.

I really don't think druid multiclassing is worth it. You delay your clerical spell progression, and spells are the best thing clerics can do. In return, you get wikdshaping, but only into forms that are weak, can't fly, and can't swim. You also can't cast while wildshaped. Unless your whole party is wildshapers, I wouldn't do it. In fact, I still wouldn't do it because you give up too much. Wildshape is overrated.

Person_Man
2015-01-22, 05:12 PM
My observation has been that strait Clerics (of any domain) are actually one of the most flexible classes in the game. Guidance, Bless, Spiritual Weapon, Banishment, Contagion, Animate Dead, Conjure spells, rituals, etc. I personally wouldn't multi-class, because your best spells just haven't kicked in yet.

rhouck
2015-01-22, 05:30 PM
I would look into just changing domains. Talk to your DM, of course, though the AL rules allow character changes through level 4.

I personally was in a similar boat with a life domain cleric and while they are certainly excellent and offer a lot to a party... healing can be boring. I would look into Light (if you want to blast from afar, with fun spells like scorching ray, fireball, etc.) or Tempest (if you want to wade into the thick of things). You can still heal as well or better than anyone else in the game, but you get a bit more variety of things you can do.

If you are really want to MC, then I think hitting at least 4th level cleric (for the ASI) and then switching to Paladin is your best option. Though if you wait until 4th, then you should wait until 5th for 3rd level spells... and then you should just wait until 6th for the 2x channel divinity and Blessed Healer... it's a slippery slope :smallsmile: Straight cleric really is quite powerful, but don't worry about taking something that is "suboptimal" if it is more FUN for you to play!

Guillykins
2015-01-22, 07:33 PM
Alright all thanks for the advice.