PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me some Interactive Fiction

Maquise
2015-01-22, 11:30 AM
I recently downloaded the Frotz (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/frotz/id287653015?mt=8)app to my ipad, and was looking for recommendations for some IF games to load onto it. Just for the record, I can download most of the games available at http://ifdb.tads.org/ directly from the app, so if it's available there in download format, I should be golden. Otherwise I'm not sure how to get it.

Preferred genres are sci-fi, fantasy, and such, less so the more realistic genres.

Slayn82
2015-01-22, 12:25 PM
Well, until right now i knew nothing about Frotz, but i've been playing the books from the Lone Wolf series, disponibilized by the author Joe Denver, through the Project Aon, availiable in www.projectaon.org . The books can be downloaded in the .pdf, .epub, .mobi, .fb2 and a few other formats. I use the Android Kindle app to run them.

Knaight
2015-01-22, 01:03 PM
If it can handle more than just things on the app, Fabled Lands may be available.

TaRix
2015-01-22, 01:13 PM
Well, until right now i knew nothing about Frotz, but i've been playing the books from the Lone Wolf series, disponibilized by the author Joe Denver, through the Project Aon, availiable in www.projectaon.org . The books can be downloaded in the .pdf, .epub, .mobi, .fb2 and a few other formats. I use the Android Kindle app to run them.

If that's what I think it is, then it's not what the OP wants.

I'd recommend pretty much anything by Infocom (now owned absorbed by Activison, so money should change hands in their view), but a couple of the most popular ones they did are elsewhere as freeware. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Zork are playable in browsers somewhere (and there's even 'pictures' in one of the HHGs.)

For Sci-fi, Planetfall and Stationfall run the gamut of emotions. A Mind Forever Voyaging might seem a little heavy-handed, but it's a great IF experience that's a little light on the puzzles. Suspended has a much different flavor and might have you running for the walkthroughs.

For fantasy, there's the entire Zork series. Beyond Zork has a more d20 feel, and Zork Zero (very nice) is a sprawlingly big game, loads of puzzles, in-game hints, and is good for many a chuckle.

Activision had the whole collection (in two parts) for sale, but that was almost three computer generations ago.

A really nice one I played was called "Spider and Web," a Bond-y type setting, with a few fun twists. Not very long, but still satisfying and you don't really have to hunt for verbs or anything. Well-written and designed. (The author made a nice shareware/now freeware puzzle collection, System's Twilight, but I don't think it'd work on a tablet.)

All these are pretty much text-exclusive, though. I also don't know how you could stand to do all that typing on a tablet, but that's just me.

I was also pointed towards www.brasslantern.org some years back, but I haven't visited that place in years. It should have some reviews for the less-old stuff.

IthilanorStPete
2015-01-23, 04:18 PM
If that's what I think it is, then it's not what the OP wants.

I'd recommend pretty much anything by Infocom (now owned absorbed by Activison, so money should change hands in their view), but a couple of the most popular ones they did are elsewhere as freeware. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Zork are playable in browsers somewhere (and there's even 'pictures' in one of the HHGs.)

For Sci-fi, Planetfall and Stationfall run the gamut of emotions. A Mind Forever Voyaging might seem a little heavy-handed, but it's a great IF experience that's a little light on the puzzles. Suspended has a much different flavor and might have you running for the walkthroughs.

For fantasy, there's the entire Zork series. Beyond Zork has a more d20 feel, and Zork Zero (very nice) is a sprawlingly big game, loads of puzzles, in-game hints, and is good for many a chuckle.

Activision had the whole collection (in two parts) for sale, but that was almost three computer generations ago.

A really nice one I played was called "Spider and Web," a Bond-y type setting, with a few fun twists. Not very long, but still satisfying and you don't really have to hunt for verbs or anything. Well-written and designed. (The author made a nice shareware/now freeware puzzle collection, System's Twilight, but I don't think it'd work on a tablet.)

All these are pretty much text-exclusive, though. I also don't know how you could stand to do all that typing on a tablet, but that's just me.

I was also pointed towards www.brasslantern.org some years back, but I haven't visited that place in years. It should have some reviews for the less-old stuff.

I was also going to recommend Spider and Web. It's tricky, but oh-so-satisfying when you figure out the puzzles.