PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Kasatha Slayer//Investigator Advice Needed

HereBeMonsters
2015-01-22, 01:43 PM
Ok so I was going to play a character in an upcoming game to chrisen our new Gaming Table. Its going to be a Gestalt game because we only have three players and we are likely going to be running Rise of the Ruin Lords AP or Possibly Curse of the Crimson Throne if not a completely original content.

So I wanted to look into playing a Slayer//Investigator.
I have some decent Stats I rolled an 18 which I am going to put into INT, 13,11,16,10,14 as the others.

I don't know much about how to best blend the two, but I heard they would work well together.
They give a d10 HD, 6+Int, All good Saves, Up to Medium Armor, All Martial Weapons and Hand Crossbow.

Investigator is very INT focused. The Studied Target and Studied Combat stack if you get Quick Study Talent (One would then use Swift and one Move actions.)

But what race is best? What feats compliment this the best?

Dysart
2015-01-22, 08:27 PM
Assuming you're starting at level 1 it entirely depends on your play style.

If you're going for the 'face' of the party you could build a really good investigator/mastermind build that has the best interaction with NPCs.

But for combat I'd go with slayer first and go for a dervish build and max out on that double dipping dex.
If you are going with Dervish you could go stats like this:

Str: 10
Dex: 16
Con: 14
Int: 18
Wis: 11
Chr: 13

You'd only need 2 levels in slayer to basically set yourself a comfortable combat character. As at level 2 you can take the slayer talent as an extra combat feat which "Devish Dance" counts as.

As for race, if you're doing the above Elf works well with the above to give you a mind blowing 20Int and access to Longbows to back up your lack of bomb class skill.
Alternatively going Human you get an additional feat which is never something to sniff at.

NightbringerGGZ
2015-01-22, 09:31 PM
Your race and feat options will depend on the type of build you want to go for. I'm going to recommend a build that uses two-weapon fighting to maximize your damage for the various passive bonuses you get, lets you provide buffs for your party or yourself and takes advantage of your skill-monkey capabilities. You will definitely be the party skill monkey by the way, 10 skill points per level and the only non class skill is Handle Animals. It should be a pretty versatile build overall.

Race: Human
Attributes: Str: 18, Dex: 16, Con: 13, Int: 16, Wis: 11, Cha: 10

Feats & Talents
1) Weapon Focus: Kukri, Two-Weapon Fighting
2) Combat Style TWF: Double Slice
3) Infusion, Extra Investigator Talent: Quick Study
4) Combat Trick: Power Attack
5) Mutagen, Extra IT: Domino Effect
6) Combat Style TWF: Improved Two Weapon Fighting, Slowing Strike

You'll be using your favored class bonus for 1/6 of an extra Slayer Talent. Right at first level you're using TWFing with a +5 attack bonus. Your damage output will be quite good for first level.

At third level we pick up Infusion instead of Mutagen. You want to be able to buff the party ASAP and frankly you don't need the Mutagen at this level. Wait till level 5. Pick up Quick Study early in preparation for next level.

At level 4 you activate your Studied Target and Studied Combat on the first round, then either buff or move into melee range. Assuming you have Masterwork weapons, you can Power Attack with a +9 attack bonus. Damage bonuses are +12/+10.

At level 5 pick up Mutagen and what ever feat you want. I like the idea of an extra Investigator talent for Domino Effect.

At level 6 grab two Slayer Talents, netting you Improved TWF and what ever other talent you want.

I'll stop here at level 6, as you're set up for combat and buffing and you're already a skill monkey. Hopefully you're not too far off from picking up a +Int headband, as you'll want to use your Mutagen to boost your strength. Let's go with a best base scenario where you enter combat having pre-buffed with both Bull's Strength and a Strength Mutagen.

Your Studied Combat will only last two rounds per target so don't activate it until you reach melee range. You'll probably want to use your Slayer's Studied Target to pick two nearby enemies then rush the nearest one. On round two of combat you activate Studied Combat, get your bonus from Studied Target too, Power Attack and get four attacks in. If you kill a target and still have attacks, right before it dies try to use Domino Effect to move your Studied Combat over to a new target. Use your Studied Strike on your last attack of the extra 2d6 on that attack. This will stack with the 2d6 you get if you're flanking your target.

Ignoring sneak attack dice and flanking bonuses, you will deal a ton of damage. While Power Attacking your attack rolls are +17/+12, +17/+12 assuming +1 or Masterwork weapons. With those +1 weapons you gain a total bonus of +18 damage on your main hand weapon and +16 on the off hand. Odds are pretty good that you'll hit with every attack.

The only annoyance is that periodically you'll need to use a move action to study new targets. Probably every 2-3 rounds, considering how quickly you'll kill stuff.

By the way, I didn't bother with archetypes. Most of the good ones will actually boost your out of combat utility without forcing you to sacrifice much (or anything) by way of damage. Have fun picking those out.

HereBeMonsters
2015-01-23, 01:21 AM
Its a Gestalt Campaign so I can take both classes from level 1.

Nightbringer this is a great look through of a very powerful build.

I bring this up now because my DM actually just got to me after work to say he was ok with it.
Kasatha have 4 arms, and if you pick up Multi-Weapon Fighting can attack with all 4, with one being the main and the other 3 being off hands.

A Kasatha gets a +2 Dodge bonus, which means even with Light Armor and moderate Dex I will have a good AC
4 Kukri weapons or similar small high crit blades would be lethal with the build idea you have given me. Kasatha's bonuses go to Dex and Wis and no Penalty.
That would give me a Dex of 18 and a Str of 18 which makes me good in combat, as high AC and if I picked up Combat Reflexes somewhere loads of AoO.

Jumper racial trait is nice to always be considered running for Acrobatic Jump Checks.

Any Advice on a Kasatha (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/more-races/advanced-races-11-20-rp/kasatha-20-rp)Slayer//Investigator in particular?

NightbringerGGZ
2015-01-23, 11:38 AM
I'd probably put your 14 in Dex, pushing it to 16 and your 16 in Int. Otherwise a Strength Mutagen will push you down to only a 1 round duration on Studied Combat. With a +2 Dodge bonus you can wear light armor at first level and still have a 19 AC. Pick up mithril medium armor when you're ready for a +1 suit of armor.

At first level you'll have one less feat and you want to use all your arms, so drop Weapon Focus and pick up Multi-Weapon Fighting. That'll let you get 4 attacks off right from level 1, with a +4 on your attack rolls. Flanking is going to be pretty important for the first few levels.

Improved Two Weapon Fighting and Greater Two Weapon Fighting will apply to your Multi-Weapon Fighting techniques, so make sure to keep picking up those Ranger combat feats. Eight attack rolls at level 6 will start getting a little ridiculous, so talk to your GM about ways to speed up those combat rolls. I suggest you put together a quick reference sheet on a note-card for combat.

Other than that, the build stays pretty much the same. Tweak it to taste and enjoy!

HereBeMonsters
2015-01-23, 01:38 PM
One of my party mates is likely to play a Slayer//Warpriest or Rogue//Cleric or some combination of sneaky and healer as those are the roles she loves to play. so I have a flank buddy. And as we know you never go anywhere without your flank buddy.

now I am imagining some poor boss creature with me and her on either side, the moment he turns to fight me she sneak attacks/backstabs and when he turns to fight he I do it.

NightbringerGGZ
2015-01-23, 02:51 PM
Well, your GM may want to boost up the stats on enemies you fight if you run one of the APs. With the builds you're going for you can probably just murder your way through the entire campaign.

HereBeMonsters
2015-01-23, 03:00 PM
Yeah... he has basically said we are not doing an AP from level 1, we lightly are getting tossed into a level 3-4 Range if not higher one. He does these test runs, just a few combats and so forth to see how well the builds flow and judges accordingly.