PDA

View Full Version : Sneak attack of oppurtunity

j_spencer93
2015-01-22, 03:28 PM
Dragon Magazine 340. This feat seems to be a little strong to me, maybe i just am not looking at it correctly. Would you allow it in your game? It allows you to make your first AoP a sneak attack.

TheIronGolem
2015-01-22, 03:34 PM
Doesn't sound so bad to me. AoO's don't come up that often because most of the things that trigger them are actions on the part of the target and thus avoidable at their discretion. Plus, Sneak Attack isn't actually as much damage as the "+Xd6" label tends to imply at a glance.

Rebel7284
2015-01-22, 03:34 PM
As with most things, power is relative...

All this feat does is give another conditional way for the rogue to do a little bit of extra damage. Considering how rogues are already tier 4, that's not that powerful for most campaigns.

j_spencer93
2015-01-22, 05:11 PM
ok i just was a little hesitant to allow sneak attack to be used in a new way (we have a ninja who will end up with greater invisibility so this kinda worried me).

illyahr
2015-01-22, 05:18 PM
Wait, Complete Adventurer ninja? Sudden Strike is explicitly said to not be sneak attack so it wouldn't work for him anyway.

j_spencer93
2015-01-22, 05:24 PM
no, we play a 3.5/pathfinder game and my player going to be testing out pathfinder ninja.
And if i was going to use a 3.x ninja i would highly recommended rokugan campaign ninja over that. it gets sneak attack.

illyahr
2015-01-22, 05:30 PM
Ok, that's good. Complete Adventurer ninja is terrible.

j_spencer93
2015-01-22, 06:19 PM
yes it is, even by my low standards

theUnearther
2015-01-22, 06:30 PM
For whatever it's worth, there is actually a Sneak Attack of Opportunity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#sneakAttackOfOpportunity).
It's a bit better than the first post describes, but it's also [Epic]. I guess those cancel each other out?

Orsyn
2015-01-22, 06:39 PM
There's also the halfling opportunist PrC (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/halfling-opportunist), if you're running 3.5/PF, that has an ability similar to Sneak Attack of Opportunity as its capstone.

Curmudgeon
2015-01-22, 10:27 PM
For whatever it's worth, there is actually a Sneak Attack of Opportunity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#sneakAttackOfOpportunity).
It's a bit better than the first post describes, but it's also [Epic]. I guess those cancel each other out?
Nope. In WotC's wonderful :smallconfused: convention, Sneak Attack of Opportunity and Sneak Attack of Opportunity [Epic] are different names.

theUnearther
2015-01-22, 10:37 PM
Nope. In WotC's wonderful :smallconfused: convention, Sneak Attack of Opportunity and Sneak Attack of Opportunity [Epic] are different names.
Oh, I know. The original poster was asking balancewise, so I pointed out the existence of a similar one, better but more expensive, and in core. I think. In the SRD, at least.
From there, and from whatever his opinion is on Epic content generally, he might extrapolate an informed opinion regarding the Dragon Magazine one.

j_spencer93
2015-01-22, 10:51 PM
I like epic feats lol dont understand why all of them are epic though.

theUnearther
2015-01-22, 11:17 PM
I like epic feats lol dont understand why all of them are epic though.
Well, there you go. Assuming you meant you do not believe they should be, and not that you literally don't understand, you should logically be fine with the nonepic version. Maybe. Honestly it's pretty easy to construct a counterexample, but that'd be the most obvious deduction.

For the record, my own opinion is that it's fine. It sounds very good at first, but wouldn't provide that much of an effect.