PDA

View Full Version : A slightly strange build request

Were-Sandwich
2007-04-03, 05:56 AM
Okay, here's the deal: I have about 15 supplements, and I hardly ever use any of them. Couple this with the fact that no-one else in my group seems to like DMing, my chances of using any of it seem slim (I am aware I could use it for NPCs, but my players always accuse me of cheating when the NPCs do something they don't understand, and then I have to show them the book, which ruins the surprise).

So, heres the deal. 3 major things I've always wanted to include in a character: ToB stuff, Psionics, Incarnum. My plan:

(my group tends to run gestalt games. We also lift the no-dual-prcs thing.)
Skarn (for incarnumness. Plus I like them) Monk (with racial sub levels) 5/Spinemeld Warrior 10/Warblade+5 // Warblade 5/Bloodclaw Master 5/Fist of Zouken 10

15th level maneuvers, 10th level FoZ manifesting, some incarnum stuff I can't remember, and full BaB (I think). I think I could make a compitent Dex-monkey, with a little tweaking. Feel free to suggest other stuff, but I want to keep the Skarn race.

Toliudar
2007-04-03, 08:43 AM
Wait a minute. Your players complain when you throw something at them they don't understand? Screw that!

If you're playing fair, and not throwing encounters at them that are out of whack, setting them up in situations where they're automatically screwed, who CARES what supplements you're using? Have fun with the NPC builds!

The characters certainly don't know everything that might be coming at them - just think of it as giving the players a taste of what their characters feel.

I don't know Incarnum, so sadly can't comment on the build.

Were-Sandwich
2007-04-03, 11:46 AM
Well, maybe I came across a little harsh on them, but yeah.

SpiderBrigade
2007-04-03, 12:31 PM
Wait, so what you're looking for is a build for a PC (which you suspect you'll never use)? Or an NPC that you want to use to introduce the players to all this new stuff? I'm not clear on it.

I would also like to know more about how your players react to new things. You might just need to gradually get them used to you using completely homebrewed stuff, IE trusting the DM which is a vital element of D&D if you ask me.

Were-Sandwich
2007-04-03, 12:41 PM
I'm looking for a build for a PC, so when someone else get soff their lazy ass and DMs a campaign (which I suspect may happen soon) I can get to use all three alternate magic systems I've been itching to try out. And I reckon I could get it to work pretty well. Use Incarnum and psionics for buffin, then get all Tiger Claw on their asses.

Matthew
2007-04-03, 08:06 PM
Sounds like your group may be stuck in their 'Comfort Zone'. You might need to address them directly and explain the problem with accusing you of 'cheating' when something unexpected occurs.

Rad
2007-04-04, 03:34 AM
I guess that the trouble is that the group does not accept unexpected things to happen to them rules-wise. Which is just worse since they do so knowing that you did read official books that they did not bother to consider.

Were-Sandwich
2007-04-04, 03:44 AM
One thing affecting this might be the fact that I own the most books out of my group. One guy owns Core+MoI, another owns Core+CV. I own: CW, CV, CA, ToB, XPH, LM, MM2, PHBII, RoW, RoE, PGE, ECS, plus other stuff. I've made it cleare they're quite free to borrow any of my stuff at any time.

Anyway, as for the build: I've read of a nasty pscarnum combo: Azure Talent+Psycarnum Infusion. I can keep on expending my psionic focus over and over to eventually refill my entire pp pool.

silentknight
2007-04-04, 06:45 PM
Not to be too much of a downer, but if one of the others does decide to DM, he doesn't necessarily have to let you play this character you are so hot to make.

Draz74
2007-04-04, 09:42 PM
Okay, here's the deal: I have about 15 supplements, and I hardly ever use any of them.

You could give them all to me. :smallbiggrin: