PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Psionics books, and the order thereof

theUnearther
2015-01-22, 04:29 PM
First, hello. I'm not new, but may as well be. It's been what, a year? A thousand? Probably a thousand, yes.

Anyway, I decided to "come back", both to 3.5 and to this forum, as well as to finally read up on psionics rules, having otherwise run out of new subsystems to read about.
I can think of four psionic books: Complete Psionics, Expanded Psionic(s?) Handbook, Hyperconscious and Untapped Potential. None of them sound particularly "basic", and I think the third one may have actually been a magazine.
And so I ask you: what books am I missing? In what order would it be best to read them?

OldTrees1
2015-01-22, 04:35 PM
Expanded Psionics Handbook is the Basic 3.5 Psionic Handbook. It is meant to completely replace the 3.0 Psionic Handbook (that was named Psionic Handbook).

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-22, 04:37 PM
The Expanded Psionic Handbook is the core Psionic books, so that is the very first one you should get and read. Complete Psionics is considered to be garbage by a lot of the community because it introduced several (unnecessary) nerfs to many powers and some of the design decisions still baffle people to this day, it does however contain some truly beautiful gems like the Arden. Hyperconcious is not a first party book, but it was written by Bruce R. Cordell who was the lead designed in the EPH, it is pretty awesome on it's own right too. I don't know much about Untapped Potential, but it was published by Dreamscarred press and they are very good at what they do.

theUnearther
2015-01-22, 05:11 PM
Alright, expanded it is. Thanks!

Do bear in mind though that I'll probably fetch and read them all eventually, so. Any other books anyone wants to suggest?
And would Untapped Potential and Hyperconscious be exchangeable in order? Though I guess that doesn't matter so much, the important bit being locating the first one.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-01-22, 05:15 PM
As long as you get the EXPH first, everything else is just gravy.

Flickerdart
2015-01-22, 05:19 PM
A great source for official psionics content is the Mind's Eye series of articles in WotC's 3.5 archive. There's content for Complete Psionics classes in it, so you should look through them after you've read CPsi.

deuxhero
2015-01-22, 06:01 PM
Note that a lot of the good stuff in Complete Psionics is free in excerpts and previews (most famously Soulbow excerpt, but I know one of the base classes had a preview floating out there)

Chronos
2015-01-22, 06:02 PM
Isn't Expanded Potential a Pathfinder book? Not that it's all that hard to mix 3.5 and Pathfinder, but I don't know if there are any significant differences in psionics between the two.