PDA

View Full Version : DM Help I could use some second opinions on some encounters

jebbewocky
2015-01-22, 07:28 PM
I have a party of level 1 characters.
We have: 1 Druid, 1 Cleric, 1 Barbarian, 1 Ranger, 1 Rogue.
I'm planning on a few encounters next session:
1.) Mini-boss: Kobold Mage: Kobold Warrior 3/Sorceror 2 (CR for kobolds is equal to their NPC levels-3, then adding the 2 of Sorceror should bring this up to a CR 2). I wanted this guy to be a bit more durable.
2.) By the book, a Troglodyte Cleric 2 should be a CR 2 encounter,since the cleric levels are non-associated, but adding gear like an NPC seems like it really bumps up the AC.
3.) I'm thinking a few other encounters of a Trog or two, and some with kobolds should round the dungeon out nicely.

I have to redo the Cleric's gear.

Also, since this is by CR, instead of using the ECL of the monsters for their gear, I am using their CR. That makes way more sense to me.

Sorceror
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...p=docslist_api

Cleric
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...p=docslist_api

RBVakarian
2015-01-22, 10:08 PM
Do you plan on the mini-bosses having some minions?

How optimized are your players?

jebbewocky
2015-01-22, 11:36 PM
Minions would be separate encounters...and I'd say..competently?

RBVakarian
2015-01-23, 08:18 PM
I just can't help but think without a viable meat shield or two, the caster will go down to quick, especially 5 vs. 1. Maybe two standard kobolds along with the caster, they could slow down your players to make things interesting.

Thurbane
2015-01-23, 08:43 PM
Note: Cleric is a Troglodyte's favored class, so treating it as non-associated class levels is a bit iffy.

big teej
2015-01-24, 02:30 AM
I think, as it stands, the mage will be overwhelmed via action economy within 1-2 rounds. tops.

my personal recommendation is you add more critters

these can be more kobolds, some sort of large angry critter (don't have my books in front of me to make suggestions, but for some reason whitespawn hordelings spring to mind...)

well. larger angry critter, at any rate - such as an elemental, construct, undead, etc.

OR

and I feel this the more "kolboldian" of the two.

LITTER the room with traps. EVERYWHERE. the mage helped build/plan them, so he knows where everything is and can move around unimpeded. the *players* however, are struggling against the environment rather than the mage.

*I charge him*
cool, roll 3 reflex saves. sorry you fall into a pit.

meanwhile, your elf buddy is shot with an arrow from an apeture in the wall.

watch out wizard dude! a rock has fallen from the ceiling

oh no mr. cleric, you seem have been slapped with a decayed rotten, disease-ridden corpse.

or... consult Grimtooth

actually, just consult grimtooth, I suck at traps :smalltongue:

I think in 6 or so years of DMing I've used..... 2?

one, on the elemental plane of water, was a MASSIVE draconic skull that had essentially glass vases full of captured lightning resting between each tooth. the party tripped the pressure plate, or whatever I had set the thing off, and the jaws clamped down, biting the poor sod in front, and zapping everyone in the vicinity.

the other, I was rather proud of, but it was too much of a 'gotcha' trap.

there was a statue with obviously valuable gems as eyes, the gems were coated in contact-poison, anybody prying them off would be exposed.

but.... TL;DR - consult grimtooth and trap the buhjeezus out of the mage's room.

happygoluckytro
2015-01-24, 02:44 AM
Yeah, traps are definitely the way to go if you don't want to have fighting kobolds get stale or anything, plus the traps give that rouge (maybe even ranger??) some time in the spotlight. especially if your ranger / druid is leading the party to the mini-boss via track, and your sorcerer is using his/her knowledge to solve a an arcane puzzle to gain entry to the mini boss lair and the barbarian.... Gets..... brahhh! *smack mini-boss?

jebbewocky
2015-01-24, 11:12 AM
I debated tossing in a monitor lizard, but I like traps!

jebbewocky
2015-01-24, 11:47 AM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cNR9-15t3dvjcroTcObfcLnC8HnF61VBOSNQpD4-RwA/edit?usp=docslist_api

Revised the sorc. He'll have some mooks.

jebbewocky
2015-01-24, 12:06 PM
Revised cleric:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EVAs7NZDLeMg04w7V49-pVYD-R4X09jhh2pzXXUUNfc/edit?usp=docslist_api

Both are sans equipment for now.

ace rooster
2015-01-24, 01:04 PM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cNR9-15t3dvjcroTcObfcLnC8HnF61VBOSNQpD4-RwA/edit?usp=docslist_api

Revised the sorc. He'll have some mooks.

I'm not sure I like your spell selection, it seems very direct/nigh on suicidal. His longest range spell is acid splash, and to use that he has to get within the charge range of a gnome in full plate. His burning hands only does 2d4 damage so is unlikely to end an encounter, while using it puts him in a very dangerous position. He may be a mini-boss, but he is still a kobold. Charging into danger is not what they do. If I was playing that kobold I would be ignoring his 'gifts' that are likely to get him killed, and just pick up a crossbow. Mage armor and message are probably the only spells that would see any use, as all the rest are too short range to be safe to use.

For more 'kobold' like spells I would suggest things like expeditious retreat, silent image and dancing lights. These can all be used without getting close. Spells that aid escape or ambush would be particularly favored, especially if they assist allies in these situations. While there is no guarentee that the kobold will have chosen their spells (or 'gifts') it seems odd to me (from a design perspective) to give them abilities they will not use. The Withdraw action will almost always be better for that kobold than burning hands for example.

hope this helps.

DrKerosene
2015-01-24, 01:15 PM
Grain of salt: I have a lot of difficult with strictly following the game rules at CR3 and under, but I feel like the original Kobold Mage build you posted might be CR3.5 depending on how strictly you interpret the line "Levels in NPC classes are always treated as nonassociated." under the adding class levels to monsters section, and the specific Kobold CR exception.

Either way, I wanted to know if you've given consideration to just making the Kobold a level 4-5 Adept? You get access to 2nd level spells, which include Scorching Ray and Invisibility, as well as strongish Burning Hands, and way more HP. Less BAB, but divine casting is better for armour usage, and Eberron Adepts add spell variety.

jebbewocky
2015-01-27, 05:21 PM
I'm not sure I like your spell selection, it seems very direct/nigh on suicidal. His longest range spell is acid splash, and to use that he has to get within the charge range of a gnome in full plate. His burning hands only does 2d4 damage so is unlikely to end an encounter, while using it puts him in a very dangerous position. He may be a mini-boss, but he is still a kobold. Charging into danger is not what they do. If I was playing that kobold I would be ignoring his 'gifts' that are likely to get him killed, and just pick up a crossbow. Mage armor and message are probably the only spells that would see any use, as all the rest are too short range to be safe to use.

For more 'kobold' like spells I would suggest things like expeditious retreat, silent image and dancing lights. These can all be used without getting close. Spells that aid escape or ambush would be particularly favored, especially if they assist allies in these situations. While there is no guarentee that the kobold will have chosen their spells (or 'gifts') it seems odd to me (from a design perspective) to give them abilities they will not use. The Withdraw action will almost always be better for that kobold than burning hands for example.

hope this helps.

I've updated the spell selection to be less direct. The Sorceror will be with 4 standard kobolds loyal to him.