PDA

View Full Version : Chameleon's and Arcane Spell Failure

WeaselGuy
2015-01-23, 06:41 AM
Maybe I missed something reading the entry (it was after 3am when I was building my newest character), but do Chameleons have an ASF while wearing armor? It's completely ridiculous for him, but right now I have his future gear statted out to include a +1 Deep Soulfire Feather Cloak, and need to know if I should throw Twilight on it as well.

Sian
2015-01-23, 06:48 AM
You prepare and cast spells as a wizard does.

Which would mean that unless it says anything else (it doesn't) it follows the rules for Wizards which in turn means that they have to handle ASF

WeaselGuy
2015-01-23, 06:57 AM
Thanks, that's what I was thinking, and what I had prepared for.

Also, do you know how ridiculous it is to plan for skills for a CG Human, Human-Paragon 2/Factotum 8/Chameleon 10? He literally has almost all of the skills. And uses a Returning Throwing Axe for Iaijutsu Focus, and an Elvencraft Composite Longbow, enchanted 6 ways from Sunday, as his primary weapon. (No seriously, +1 Seeking & Spell-Storing for the bow portion, and +1 Eager and +1 Warning, respectively, for each arm. I think the whole thing costs somewhere around 50k)

Fouredged Sword
2015-01-23, 10:54 AM
You CAN get around the spell failure problem with a dip into spellthief and the master spellthief feat. Don't know how well that fits in your build, but it replaces a level of rogue nicely.

WeaselGuy
2015-01-23, 11:26 AM
eh, not really room for rogue in my build, and I'm fine solving the problem with gold.

Thanks though :D

Sian
2015-01-23, 11:30 AM
Well, theres the fact that Chameleon explicitly says that aptitude focus, ability boon and mimic class feature can't be used to qualify for any feat so you would also have to get 2nd level arcane spells from somewhere else to get that trick to be legal

You can’t use any abilities gained from your aptitude focus, ability boon, or mimic class feature abilities to qualify for a feat, prestige class, or other option. You can use your bonus feat to qualify for such options, but if you change the feat, you suffer the normal drawbacks for no longer meeting a prerequisite or requirement.

WeaselGuy
2015-01-23, 11:37 AM
Well, theres the fact that Chameleon explicitly says that aptitude focus, ability boon and mimic class feature can't be used to qualify for any feat so you would also have to get 2nd level arcane spells from somewhere else to get that trick to be legal

wait, what is this pertaining to? the spellthief thing, or something else?

Sian
2015-01-23, 11:39 AM
the prerequsistes for Master Spellthief to be exact

WeaselGuy
2015-01-23, 11:54 AM
ah, ok then. yeah, i don't plan on using spellthief, i'm happy with my build...

Human Paragon
Adaptive Learning (Iaijutsu Focus)
Able Learner, XXX

Human Paragon
Bonus Feat
Quick Draw

Factotum
Inspiration, Cunning Insight, Cunning Knowledge, Trapfinding
Knowledge Devotion (Nature)

Factotum
Arcane Dilettante (1 Spell)

Factotum
Brains over Brawn, Cunning Defense

Factotum
Arcane Dilettante (2 Spells), Cunning Strike
Imperious Command

Factotum
Opportunistic Piety

Factotum

Factotum
Arcane Dilettante (3 Spells)
Font of Inspiration

Factotum
Opportunistic Surge

Chameleon
Aptitude Focus 1/day (+2)

Chameleon
Bonus Feat
Font of Inspiration

Chameleon
Mimic Class Feature 1/day

Chameleon
Ability Boon +2

Chameleon
Aptitude Focus 2/day (+4)
Font of Inspiration

Chameleon
Mimic Class Feature 2/day

Chameleon
Ability Boon +4, Double Aptitude

Chameleon
Rapid Refocus
Font of Inspiration

Chameleon
Mimic Class Feature 3/day

Chameleon
Ability Boon +6, Aptitude Focus 3/day (+4)

I'm actually having a hard time deciding what to take for my level 1 feat. Was thinking Improved Initiative, but don't know for sure... any suggestions?

Sian
2015-01-23, 12:02 PM
Dreadful Wrath?

WeaselGuy
2015-01-23, 12:56 PM
Actually, that works pretty well... Thanks!