PDA

View Full Version : A little bit of clarity needed.

Jesterface
2015-01-23, 06:51 AM
I'm running an IRL game, and one of my players has selected Dragonfire Adept as his class. This class gains natural armour bonus (for anybody not familiar with the class). The class ability stipulates "If you already have a natural armour bonus, use the higher of the two values."

This player has also chosen the "Draconic Skin" feat, which states "Your natural armor bonus increases by 1."

My question is whether these stack, or if the Adept's "Scales" ability will supercede the feat and make it redundant. Is it maybe a feat to pick up at a later level as it will then stack with the class feature or is it just better to avoid all together?

Sian
2015-01-23, 06:54 AM
the feat inceases the natural armor that you get from Scales, but the feat (at least IMO) is a rather weak one to begin with

Jesterface
2015-01-23, 07:01 AM
Ah, many thanks! It's not great, but at first level, in a game where the environment is going to be brutal, this +1 might stop him dying.

Might...

Sian
2015-01-23, 07:13 AM
Well, Dragonfire Adepts really is among the classes that needs such a boost the least.

They tend to have their highest stat in Constitution, and unless you pick invocations that are to be used in combat, they have no problem eating massive ASF by wearing armor, even if doing so without profiency gives ACP on attack rolls (you don't have to roll while using breath) and strength/Dex skill checks.

grab "Entangling Exhalation" instead

Jesterface
2015-01-23, 07:28 AM
That's a good shout actually... And a pretty decent feat. I'll talk to the player and see how he feels.

Zaq
2015-01-23, 02:28 PM
Well, Dragonfire Adepts really is among the classes that needs such a boost the least.

They tend to have their highest stat in Constitution, and unless you pick invocations that are to be used in combat, they have no problem eating massive ASF by wearing armor, even if doing so without profiency gives ACP on attack rolls (you don't have to roll while using breath) and strength/Dex skill checks.

grab "Entangling Exhalation" instead

This is common advice, but it misses a key aspect of ACP. Namely, that ACP applies to initiative checks if you're not proficient with the armor. So if you stick yourself in full plate without getting proficiency from somewhere, be prepared to always go last. Entangling Exhalation is much, much more entertaining when you can use it to prevent enemies from easily getting where they want to go, rather than gumming them up once they're already right where they want to be. (It's still useful for the penalties that it applies, but still, going guaranteed last is not my idea of a good time.)