PDA

View Full Version : Designing a Noble Character- Pathfinder

HuskyBoi
2015-01-23, 08:36 AM
Good afternoon everyone! So some friends and I are looking to start a Pathfinder campaign soon, got a nice high-fantasy setting with some detailed backstory. For this campaign, I was thinking about playing a lordly/noble type character (very different to my usual character style), and I was trying to think which of the Pathfinder classes might best represent such a character.

I imagine a young noble to be well-educated in a few academic subjects (Knowledge skills), have a bit of swordplay/combat training, and be fairly influential (diplomacy or intimidate). Those are just to begin with, and the classes suggesting themselves are Bard, Cavalier or Magus, but I was wondering if anyone had any other thoughts? Suggestions for feats etc would also be mighty handy! And thanks in advance.

GybeMark
2015-01-23, 08:50 AM
I think Paladin would be the quintessential class, mechanics wise for what you're asking -- the model for it Lord's child who was raised to be a knight in shining armour and protect their serfs from... well, other nobles mostly, through diplomacy backed by force. The Cavalier would be great as well.

In terms of the "feel" of the character, in this case, I think it all comes down to how you "play" them, regardless of class. In my current group, there is a noble-born paladin who is a wise-and-honourable-trustworthy-friend to other nobles, but treats commoners (i.e. most of the party and NPCs) as convenient-devices-for-plowing-fields-but-ultimately-disposable. Alternatively, you could play the character as a "friend to all people" who uses their influence and might to better their plight.

Good luck!

Red Fel
2015-01-23, 10:35 AM
Good afternoon everyone! So some friends and I are looking to start a Pathfinder campaign soon, got a nice high-fantasy setting with some detailed backstory. For this campaign, I was thinking about playing a lordly/noble type character (very different to my usual character style), and I was trying to think which of the Pathfinder classes might best represent such a character.

I imagine a young noble to be well-educated in a few academic subjects (Knowledge skills), have a bit of swordplay/combat training, and be fairly influential (diplomacy or intimidate). Those are just to begin with, and the classes suggesting themselves are Bard, Cavalier or Magus, but I was wondering if anyone had any other thoughts? Suggestions for feats etc would also be mighty handy! And thanks in advance.

"Noble" generally means different things in different settings. Look at Game of Thrones, for example. Jaime Lannister is a noble, a deft hand with a sword, but with dubious honor at best; a Fighter if I'd ever seen one. House Greyjoy is a "noble" house consisting entirely of pirates; a Swashbuckler would be quite appropriate. Starks are raised with swords and bows, hunting and surviving in the perilous North; Rangers.

"Noble" need only mean belonging to a privileged, land-owning house recognized by the royalty. How it gets applied is up to you. Now, if you mean "foppish noble" or "stuck-up noble," those are more particular archetypes, but generally, I could see this character going in almost any direction. A few examples. Is he the second-born (or younger) son of his family? If they follow primogeniture, he gets little if anything of the estate, so he would likely devote himself to some calling other than being a noble. The clergy is an excellent choice; many second sons, lacking an inheritance, joined monastic orders. (Can we say Cleric?) Alternatively, others used the wealth and training their family provided to become sell-swords. (Fighters are a thing, folks.) Does he come from a more barbaric region? Perhaps the heir is expected to be a tactical genius (Warder) or a furious combatant in his own right. (Barbarian.) Perhaps he never took an interest in ruling, or siring an heir, or any of the day-to-day things. Perhaps he simply focused on his family's library (Wizard) and spent his every waking moment among the books. Or perhaps his family bears a secret (or not-secret), a lineage of power that has been passed on to him. Sorcerer? Psionic? Maybe even a contract with the family Eidolon (Summoner)?
What I'm saying is, very simply, that "noble" can be applied to basically any concept. What did you have in mind?

Oh, and this should probably be moved to the 3.X/PF subforum.

goto124
2015-01-23, 11:33 AM
Is this noble generally good or evil?

Honest Tiefling
2015-01-23, 01:57 PM
Investigator perhaps? After all, being a noble, one must have to deal with pesky spies. I think they could be refluffed as the type of noble who decides he much rather NOT get offed, thank you.

Or perhaps he is a bit more...Proactive about the competition as it were.

Hazrond
2015-01-23, 02:03 PM
Might I suggest Noble Scion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/n-r/noble-scion)?