PDA

View Full Version : Scent and Stinking Cloud interaction

Shnigda
2015-01-23, 08:55 AM
Hi everyone, I have been doing some reading and have come to wonder about how creatures with the 'Scent' power would interact with a 'Stinking Cloud' spell.
A bit of context: My party and I have come into a city that is infested with lycanthropes. I know that they can track creatures with the 'Scent' power and will probably use this in battle should they not be able to find us. I have the 'Smoking' enchantment on my weapon which, being a rogue, is very useful for survivability.
The 'Smoking' weapon enchantment allows you to cast a 'Stinking Cloud' spell which follows you and makes creatures nauseated when they enter the affected area. However, I feel that a creature with 'Scent' would be affected even when not in the area due to enhanced smell senses.
So what do you guys think? Would creatures with 'Scent' become nauseated from a greater distance?

EDIT: Also curious about the wording of the 'Smoking' enchant... Does the 'one-half concealment' mean that it provides a 50% miss chance due to concealment?

Segev
2015-01-23, 09:44 AM
Mechanically, no. Things do what they say they do. However, I would certainly, at the least, give a bonus to "hide" from their scent-based tracking et al with those odiferous clouds overwhelming your normal smell. Though keep in mind that, for creatures with Scent, this is more akin to trying to hide somebody by splattering them with paint that you're also coating the environment with. They'll have a harder time seeing who that red splotch is, but if that red splotch is moving over there, not surrounded by the red expanse splattered on the landscape, they can still see it.

DeltaEmil
2015-01-23, 09:49 AM
No, having the scent special ability will not make the creature more susceptible to stench-based attacks like the stinking cloud spell or a troglodyte's stench ability, nor should it do so.
They do detect those kinds of attacks sooner, perhaps, but they are not more vulnerable or in greater danger to be affected sooner by them.

Chronos
2015-01-23, 10:05 AM
Put it this way: Have you ever known a dog to be dissuaded by a really nasty smell? If anything, they seem to enjoy it even more.

Shnigda
2015-01-23, 10:50 AM
Thanks, that cleared things up!

Urpriest
2015-01-23, 12:47 PM
Another way to think about it: IIRC there are a few creatures whose sense of smell is described as so powerful that they get a penalty on saves against scent-based effects. So normal creatures with Scent shouldn't.