PDA

View Full Version : Multiclassing

Spacehamster
2015-01-23, 11:14 AM
Hey playground!

A lot of people seem to be of the opinion that multiclassing is bad, so here is a thought, share your multiclass pc with us (existing or planned both works) short summary on the role the char will fill and what he gains and looses compared to going just 1 class in the class he got most lvls in. Going with lvl 13 char as this is a realistic goal unlike 20 which most groups never reach.

Here is my contribution:

Lathorion Duskbreaker NG half elf started with lvl 1 rogue,
Guild crafter background.

Atm he is only level 5 but when 13 he will be 6 vengence pal, 3 assassin rog, 3 lore bard and 1 knowledge dom cleric. He will fill role of scout, skill expert, face and single target dps. Gains compared to lvl 13 vengence pal: 8 more skills with proficiency, 6 skills with expertise, assassinate, cunning action, jack of all trades, cutting words, 2d6 sneak attack, lvl 1 cleric spells, lvl 1 & 2 bard spells acess to up to lvl 4 spell slots.

Loose: 1d8 per normal hit(will gain at lvl 19), lvl 3 and 4 paladin spell access(will get up to lvl 3 spells at later levels), heavy armor prof which would not be used since he is scout anyways, bit weaker lay on hands. 2 less feats that will be gained with 3 more level ups later(will have one less feat at lvl 20)

All in all I think what he gains is more useful then what he looses. :) so what is your mc?

Spacehamster to infinity and beyond!

Madfellow
2015-01-23, 11:31 AM
Monk 2 / Barbarian X

His role: Front line fighter, tank, some damage output

What he gains: Bonus attacks, Dex saves, can't be disarmed, badassery, this:
http://manadeprived.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/bearpunch.jpg

What he loses: Damage per attack, Con saves, some HP, delays access to class features

Shadow
2015-01-23, 11:46 AM
I like Champion 3 on any Barbarian to increase crit range for DPR (you're a barbarian after all), but especially for brutal critical.

At heart I am and have always been a Rogue player, and there are a lot of appealing multiclass options for Rogue.
Ranger 2-5 on any rogue, but particularly on an Arcane Trickster for healing and a few great spell choices.
Same goes for Cleric 1.
Circle Druid 2 offers healing and a little wild shape for scouting on an Arcane Trickster.
A few levels of Paladin on a Rogue offers a little healing and smiting for when you can't get sneak attack in.
A couple levels of Warlock gives you devil's sight.
Monk and Rogue have so much synergy that there's even a little bit of overlap.
I really, really like Battle Master 3 on a Thief (or any Rogue), with maneuvers chosen to open up a lot of options and create more style within a concept.
But my favorite Rogue MC is Wizard 1 on an AT for 3 or 4 more spells prepped (6 more at 20 Int), an extra "caster level," one more 1st level spell from arcane recovery, and a few very useful rituals. Tons of bang for your buck, and all you lose is the capstone.

Tarrab
2015-01-23, 11:52 AM
Hey playground!

A lot of people seem to be of the opinion that multiclassing is bad, so here is a thought, share your multiclass pc with us (existing or planned both works) short summary on the role the char will fill and what he gains and looses compared to going just 1 class in the class he got most lvls in. Going with lvl 13 char as this is a realistic goal unlike 20 which most groups never reach.

Here is my contribution:

Atm he is only level 5 but when 13 he will be 6 vengence pal, 3 assassin rog, 3 lore bard and 1 knowledge dom cleric. He will fill role of scout, skill expert, face and single target dps. Gains compared to lvl 13 vengence pal: 8 more skills with proficiency, 6 skills with expertise, assassinate, cunning action, jack of all trades, cutting words, 2d6 sneak attack, lvl 1 cleric spells, lvl 1 & 2 bard spells acess to up to lvl 4 spell slots.

Loose: 1d8 per normal hit(will gain at lvl 19), lvl 3 and 4 paladin spell access(will get up to lvl 3 spells at later levels), heavy armor prof which would not be used since he is scout anyways, bit weaker lay on hands. 2 less feats that will be gained with 3 more level ups later(will have one less feat at lvl 20)

All in all I think what he gains is more useful then what he looses. :) so what is your mc?

Multiclassing is AWESOME, when done right. I have a Pally/Rogue on my table, we just call him an Inquisitor (Vengeance/Assassin, Lawful Neutral). I do think that you might be filling too many roles with that char and loosing out on some awesome class features. The extra skills with proficiency sound like the dm didnīt check how many things you should get by multiclassing (certainly not a thousand more skills). I donīt see the point on doing both rogue and bard, since rogue level 5 nets you one of the best Reactions in the game (yes, it works against EVERYTHING, even spells), and usually letting the Sneak Attack in is so simple that trying to get advantage all the time becomes a moot point. The Cleric level also seems misplaced. I think you would go far better with a lvl 7 Rogue lvl 6 Paladin, donīt underestimate those high level abilties.

Also, I donīt know who runs your table, but in general to not make this type of messes, the best idea is to limit the number of possible multiclassing. I think that up to 3 is kinda enough. A character such as yours has so many features to use and choose from that the whole purpose of what they wanted to do with 5th (making combat choices quicker) kinda goes out the window.

T.

Shadow
2015-01-23, 11:59 AM
The extra skills with proficiency sound like the dm didnīt check how many things you should get by multiclassing (certainly not a thousand more skills).

6 vengence pal, 3 assassin rog, 3 lore bard and 1 knowledge dom cleric

Start as Pally.
Multiclass Rogue (+1 skill).
Multiclass Bard (+1 skill).
Lore Bard 3 (+3 skills).
Knowledge Cleric (+2 skills).
That's 7 more skills. Not sure where the 8th came from.

Spacehamster
2015-01-23, 12:03 PM
Multiclassing is AWESOME, when done right. I have a Pally/Rogue on my table, we just call him an Inquisitor (Vengeance/Assassin, Lawful Neutral). I do think that you might be filling too many roles with that char and loosing out on some awesome class features. The extra skills with proficiency sound like the dm didnīt check how many things you should get by multiclassing (certainly not a thousand more skills). I donīt see the point on doing both rogue and bard, since rogue level 5 nets you one of the best Reactions in the game (yes, it works against EVERYTHING, even spells), and usually letting the Sneak Attack in is so simple that trying to get advantage all the time becomes a moot point. The Cleric level also seems misplaced. I think you would go far better with a lvl 7 Rogue lvl 6 Paladin, donīt underestimate those high level abilties.

Also, I donīt know who runs your table, but in general to not make this type of messes, the best idea is to limit the number of possible multiclassing. I think that up to 3 is kinda enough. A character such as yours has so many features to use and choose from that the whole purpose of what they wanted to do with 5th (making combat choices quicker) kinda goes out the window.

T.

We cycle DM role and have no limits and it's all counted correctly 8 skills at lvl 1 rogue(2 half elf, 4 rogue and 2 background) when you mc into bard you get to choose one skill and at lvl 3 lore bard you get 3 skills, and when choosing divine domain you get two skills from history, religion, arcana or nature. And my char is not a "mess" as you so nicely put it. He is a well thought out character. :) started thread to see what mc's ppl made not to critizise other pols mc. :) and combat he won't slow down the slightest(skulk around, flank and burn spell slots for nova damage mainly)

Spacehamster
2015-01-23, 12:18 PM
6 vengence pal, 3 assassin rog, 3 lore bard and 1 knowledge dom cleric

Start as Pally.
Multiclass Rogue (+1 skill).
Multiclass Bard (+1 skill).
Lore Bard 3 (+3 skills).
Knowledge Cleric (+2 skills).
That's 7 more skills. Not sure where the 8th came from.

Started as rogue not pal. :)

Person_Man
2015-01-23, 12:18 PM
Assassin Rogue 7/Hunter Ranger 5

Feats: Crossbow Expert, Sharpshooter

Rogue for 4d6 Sneak Attack, Assassinate, Skills/Expertise, Uncanny Dodge, Evasion.
Ranger for Archery Fighting Style, Hunter's Mark, Hoardbreaker (+1 attack when it qualifies), Extra Attack, Shield Proficiency, Martial Weapons, and an extra Skill Proficiency.

Use a sheild with light armor, and your AC is 20.

Assuming maxed out Dex and use your Bonus Action to attack and can trigger Hoardbreaker and Sneak Attack somehow for at least one of your attacks, your base attack routine is 4*[1d6+5+1d6+10]+4d6. If you can trigger Assassinate, roll all the damage dice a second time. But there are a lot of big "ifs" in there.

Ranger 12 would have better/more spells and some mediocre mid-level abilities.
Rogue 12 would have +3d6 Sneak Attack and a mediocre subclass ability.

The real lose that often gets overlooked is the missed Ability Score Increases/Feats. In this case, I think you're losing 2 or 3.

Tarrab
2015-01-23, 12:24 PM
We cycle DM role and have no limits and it's all counted correctly 8 skills at lvl 1 rogue(2 half elf, 4 rogue and 2 background) when you mc into bard you get to choose one skill and at lvl 3 lore bard you get 3 skills, and when choosing divine domain you get two skills from history, religion, arcana or nature. And my char is not a "mess" as you so nicely put it. He is a well thought out character. :) started thread to see what mc's ppl made not to critizise other pols mc. :) and combat he won't slow down the slightest(skulk around, flank and burn spell slots for nova damage mainly)

I didnīt say the character himself is a mess, but to let a character have every skill seems sloppy DMing, cause then you are potentially covering the role that other players should also get. The mess itself is letting a player make a character that does it all to the extent that a party stops being needed, in a manner of speaking.

7heprofessor
2015-01-23, 12:46 PM
Vesper Ahnkhail

CG Variant Human Fighter 2/Rogue 3 with the Crossbow Expert feat.

Vesper fills the party Face role, as well as Scout, Trapsmith, Skillmonkey, and has incredible burst DPS thanks to Assassinate.

Compared to Rogue 5:

Gains:

All Armor and Weapon proficiencies
2 more HP
Second Wind: 1d10+2 healing per short rest
Archery Fighting Style: +2 on ranged weapon attacks
Action Surge
STR and CON save proficiency

Loses:

Two skill proficiencies from a much better list
DEX and INT save proficiency
+1d6 sneak attack
Ability Score Improvement
Uncanny Dodge

However, I plan to take her to level 5 in Fighter (Battle Master for Superiority Dice) and then Rogue the rest of the way. Extra Attack and the Maneuvers more than make up for the list of lost Features for this character.

Garimeth
2015-01-23, 01:08 PM
LOL. My entire group has decided its too GOOD and have banned it from our current games!

Rogue splash is awesome in alot of classes (level 3 arcane hand).
Monk splash is awesome for a cleric, and some paladins. 3 monk/17 cleric.
3 level warlock dip is awesome for alot of classes as well.
3 level warrior dip is stupid good, regardless of which path you choose. 3 fighter/17 cleric.
1 level cleric dip into Tempest cleric nets you proficiencies and free counter attacks.
1 level Sorc dip into Draconic Origin nets you bonus AC and extra spells (pretty good for warlocks.)

There are alot of good options.

WickerNipple
2015-01-23, 01:19 PM
A lot of people seem to be of the opinion that multiclassing is bad...

Then they're clearly bad at it.

Spacehamster
2015-01-23, 01:35 PM
Then they're clearly bad at it.

I agree that's why I started this thread for ppl that like mc to share ideas for builds or just to tell about their mc character. :)

silveralen
2015-01-23, 01:37 PM
Multiclassing isn't bad but it is difficult. Personally I've had trouble finding good caster builds that multiclass, delayed spell access always seems a steep price to pay.

Tarrab
2015-01-23, 01:41 PM
Multiclassing isn't bad but it is difficult. Personally I've had trouble finding good caster builds that multiclass, delayed spell access always seems a steep price to pay.

Warlock 3/ Sorcerer X, a Sorc with a pact to have fun (Tome for cantrips), an almost rapy eldritch blast to boot, and almost no spell lost... actually, no spell levels lost ;)

Spacehamster
2015-01-23, 01:43 PM
I didnīt say the character himself is a mess, but to let a character have every skill seems sloppy DMing, cause then you are potentially covering the role that other players should also get. The mess itself is letting a player make a character that does it all to the extent that a party stops being needed, in a manner of speaking.

Well in this case we do not have a designated skill monkey and will mostly be focusing on the 6 skills he will get expertise in, won't try to steal the spotlight from my co-players. :) and as face part of party my char will cover persuasion without expertise tho, and party thiefling sorcerer will handle the intimidation part of party face. ^^

OldTrees1
2015-01-23, 01:44 PM
indenting

Half Elf Rog (Arcane Trickster) 6 / Bard (College of Lore) 3 / Rog +6 / Bard +5

This is a natural progression of a skill focused skill monkey. It ends up with 5-6* Expertise Skills, 6-7 Proficient Skills, and 6 Jack Skills. It also has the juicy Reliable Talent ability. Mage Hand Legerdemain is a favorite of mine as well.

In addition it gets 6d6 Sneak Attack, 6th level slots(with 3rd level spells known), and 6 ASI.

*Depending on if the Thieves Tools are chosen instead.

I call it the Arcane Trickster.

Callin
2015-01-23, 02:06 PM
Currently running a Half Silver Dragon/Human Light Cleric 7 who just Multiclassed into Paladin at the end of last game. I am going for a frontline zone of damage and protection using Spirit Guardians, Sentinel, and Breath Effects to keep em around me. Using a Shield and a Sunblade. I honestly dont see why people say Light Cleric is ranged. Warding Flare is great for a frontliner at all levels, Radiance of Dawn also works wonders when you are the center of a 30ft radius 2d10+Cleric Lvl Fireball. I honestly believe that their lvl 8 ability is crap so thats why I skipped out on it till lvl 10.

Going Cleric 7, Paladin 2, Cleric X (gotta get that asi). Might go Paladin 5 but I am not sure. Will know how it plays out sunday, but so far it has been fine to play till I multiclassed. I just want the Smite Ability for some Spike Damage as needed. Though our Barb deals so much damage its not even funny.

silveralen
2015-01-23, 02:22 PM
Warlock 3/ Sorcerer X, a Sorc with a pact to have fun (Tome for cantrips), an almost rapy eldritch blast to boot, and almost no spell lost... actually, no spell levels lost ;)

The problem is I'm not starting at level 20.... which means for most of my career I'm a full spell level behind, or I am a single class character. That's what makes it difficult for me.

Certain classes, like paladin, lend themselves well to it due to the slot itself being arguably the most important thing. For a blasty sorcerer it isn't too bad once you get your most important spells/abilities, like scorching ray/fireball+elemental damage, but it still hurts utility.

Garimeth
2015-01-23, 02:29 PM
The problem is I'm not starting at level 20.... which means for most of my career I'm a full spell level behind, or I am a single class character. That's what makes it difficult for me.

Certain classes, like paladin, lend themselves well to it due to the slot itself being arguably the most important thing. For a blasty sorcerer it isn't too bad once you get your most important spells/abilities, like scorching ray/fireball+elemental damage, but it still hurts utility.

I agree actually, it works better for Gish style toons than pure casters. Cleric being my main exception to that.

Paranatural
2015-01-23, 03:43 PM
There's a lot of good Multiclass Material out there. Check out this one:

http://orclabs.com/2014/12/16/max-damage-smite-knight/

I'm looking at being a Multiclass Sorcerer/Bard, myself.

Mellack
2015-01-23, 04:16 PM
Hey playground!

Here is my contribution:

Did you roll stats in your group? That requires at least 4 stats of 13+ (Str, chr, dex, and wis). That seems seriously MAD to me. Additionally at level 13 you will have received only one feat/stat bonus. Those are also costs to be considered.

Spacehamster
2015-01-23, 05:27 PM
Did you roll stats in your group? That requires at least 4 stats of 13+ (Str, chr, dex, and wis). That seems seriously MAD to me. Additionally at level 13 you will have received only one feat/stat bonus. Those are also costs to be considered.

Rolled stats 18, 18, 17, 16, 16 and 14 so asi is not a problem. ;)

Xetheral
2015-01-23, 05:59 PM

Congratulations! The chance of rolling that set of stats using 4d6 drop lowest is approximately 1 in 782,021. Only 1 in 60,583 characters will have rolls at least that good.

Mellack
2015-01-23, 06:27 PM

Wow. Well, if you have stats like that you can play pretty much anything and be good at it.

Icewraith
2015-01-23, 06:41 PM
Congratulations! The chance of rolling that set of stats using 4d6 drop lowest is approximately 1 in 782,021. Only 1 in 60,583 characters will have rolls at least that good.

Keep in mind that different groups use different rolling rules. Some are roll 3d6 six times in order, some are roll 4d6 drop the lowest seven times and pick six, and some are "roll 4d6 drop lowest until you have seven consecutive rolls that aren't terrible and pick six of them".

Wolfsraine
2015-01-23, 06:50 PM
Keep in mind that different groups use different rolling rules. Some are roll 3d6 six times in order, some are roll 4d6 drop the lowest seven times and pick six, and some are "roll 4d6 drop lowest until you have seven consecutive rolls that aren't terrible and pick six of them".

Our group did 4d6 drop the lowest 6 times, and then you can make 1 of them an 18. Arrange as you please.

Anywho, my character is currently a Half-elf 3 Assassin Rogue/ 2 Fighter, getting ready to level up to 6. I was originally going for an assassins creed type of feel for my character and was going to go into the Battle Master fighter the rest of the way. However, I am reconsidering possibly going eldritch knight for some casting utility. My int is pretty low so I don't know how well that would work out.

My ability scores are 18, 18, 16, 12, 14, 18 after racial mods and such.

Seruvius
2015-01-23, 09:45 PM
Well some of the mutliclasses that come to mind striaght away: Shadow Monk 6/Warlock2/Assasin rogue 5. SHadow step around, cast darkness and see in it, stab people through the earhole. Repeat.

Archery: Variant human with crossbow mastery feat. Hunter ranger11/rogue1/fighter1. or rogue3 if you push it to 14. Sneak in, get volley, get sneak attacks on evyerone. profit.

Naanomi
2015-01-23, 09:59 PM
Fighter 1/Warlock 2/Sorcerer 3/Fighter +1/Warlock +3/Fighter +1/Sorcerer +9

Eldritch Blast all day, everyday, and better than anyone else!