PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Abhorsen Character

lytokk
2015-01-23, 11:15 AM
So, while my main game is on hiatus, the remaining players still want to play. What I'm thinking is a simple monster hunting game ala Van Helsing. Undead, constructs, werewolves and the like. One of the players would like to plan an Abhorsen, from the same name novel by Garth Nix.

I know nothing about this novel. Basic readings on wikipedia aren't turning up a lot of thoughts so I thought I'd ask the playground for a little bit of help. PCs will be level 5 or 6. About the only idea I can see is Hunter of the Dead prestige class.

*edit* Just mentioned Sabriel would be her preferred character type.

Blackhawk748
2015-01-23, 11:27 AM
So, while my main game is on hiatus, the remaining players still want to play. What I'm thinking is a simple monster hunting game ala Van Helsing. Undead, constructs, werewolves and the like. One of the players would like to plan an Abhorsen, from the same name novel by Garth Nix.

I know nothing about this novel. Basic readings on wikipedia aren't turning up a lot of thoughts so I thought I'd ask the playground for a little bit of help. PCs will be level 5 or 6. About the only idea I can see is Hunter of the Dead prestige class.

Im not sure what an Abhorsen is, a quick description would be nice, but Hunter of the Dead sadly means you need to be a Paladin to qualify (or cleric i guess, but ew) If your player is fine with that i recommend Spell-less Paladin (the one that gives you fighter feats, not those random bonuses.

The other way would be to homebrew a Ranger ACF that trades off your Animal Companion for Turn Undead. Grab Favored Enemy Undead and you are now a certified Hunter of the Dead even before you get into the PrC. I recommend this because Hunter of the Dead screams Ranger PrC to me.

lytokk
2015-01-23, 11:33 AM
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find much of a description of abilities. THey've got bells they ring to cast spells. Its looking more like a cleric type of class, hunting undead and putting them down. More of a caster based than actual fighting based.

Blackhawk748
2015-01-23, 11:35 AM
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find much of a description of abilities. THey've got bells they ring to cast spells. Its looking more like a cleric type of class, hunting undead and putting them down. More of a caster based than actual fighting based.

In that case, i recommend Cleric into Radiant Servant of Pelor, as its very good at wrecking undead.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-01-23, 12:29 PM
The main characteristics of the Abhorsen are:
- You use a combination of 'good' and 'evil' (in D&D terms) magic. The good magic shields against the evil magic, while the evil magic is used to destroy undead and certain spirits (sort of elementals). In-universe, only free (evil) magic can destroy free magic, where pact (good) magic can only bind, not destroy. Free magic is caustic to life and to pact magic, so it's not very nice stuff. Regular ol' necromancers use only the evil magic, which then corrupts them, and takes over and turns them into a semi-spirit being.
- You use music, most importantly a set of nine bells, to shape your magic. Each bell represents an action/spell, roughly comparable to the spells sleep/animate dead/hold person [and reverse, some kind of force movement]/bestow curse [muteness only, and reverse]/awaken X [and reverse]/dominate X/wail of the banshee [affects caster] - that's in order of bell size, from smallest to largest. All of these (except sleep) affect undead and spirits, even if they normally couldn't.
- You have a direct bloodline down to an ancient spirit-type being, going back several thousands of years, which is the source of the ability to remain untainted by evil magic.
- There is only one of you, and perhaps an apprentice (who is a relative, of course), and you have your duty to the Old Kingdom.
- If your line dies out, pact magic is presumably weakened, and it will be that much easier for the dead to return to life, anywhere in the kingdom. Don't die.
- You destroy undead.

Pact magic is based on runes, or symbols anyway, chained together to form a spell. You can speak the symbols, draw them, whistle them, clap them etc. - some symbols must be used in some particular way (wind magic is mostly whistled, apparently). Free magic is generally made of incantations, sometimes with simple gestures, but it's not described in-depth, apart from that it burns your mouth to speak free magic words.

If you refluff a bunch of spells to use bells (or just use bells as a holy symbol), and make all somatic/verbal components symbols (again, fluff only), cleric works well. Maybe make it a rebuking good cleric, with a limited ability to cast [evil] spells, if you want something unusual.

Urpriest
2015-01-23, 12:44 PM
It's been a long time since I've read Sabriel, but I seem to remember more of a focus on what essentially amounted to summoning undead, rather than animating them. So something like Master of Shrouds might be appropriate.

Waker
2015-01-23, 02:03 PM
ExLibrisMortis covered pretty much everything. An Abhorsen is an inherited title for a "good necromancer" who drives back undead, necromancers and free magic spirits (basically untyped elementals). The primary tools of the Abhorsen are their usage of Charter and Free Magic, a magic sword, the seven bells and a small array of other magic items. Charter Magic is good for building, binding or reinforcing something. The Abhorsen estate for instance is protected by a series of powerful wards and Charter Magic Constructs (semi-intelligent, semi-incorporeal beings), while Charter Stones help weaken any Free Magic beings in the area. The bandolier of bells that an Abhorsen uses is no different than that of any other necromancer. I won't repeat what's already been said, but I will point out that the bells are highly dangerous in the hands of the untrained. The bells themselves seem to almost have their own sentience as they will sometimes seek to ring of their own accord. The next tool of the necromancer trade available is the Book of the Dead (can't remember actual name, and wiki isn't helping) that contains a great deal of the lore and spells involving the Dead and Free Magic spirits. The human mind is repulsed by the magic inherent in the book and will blot out any recollection of reading it, though the information is still there. Reality in the series is set up as Life, the realm of the living, and Death, which is a series of seven gates that are found on a body of water. Progressing past the Gates is insanely dangerous, as it is not only inhabited by the spirits of the dead who wish to return, but the nature of the river varies depending on which Gate you are in. The last thing of note is that Abhorsen are frequently assisted by a sort of Free Magic familiar, a construct bound to serve the Abhorsen bloodline (Mogget in the case of Sabriel and the Disreputable Dog for Liriel.)
Building a character who has the powers of the Abhorsen could be done in a few ways. The aforementioned good Cleric with Rebuking is probably the most straightforward. A Divine Bard (UA variant) going into the right PrC like Sacred Exorcist could pull it off. Archivist could serve admirably as well, what will their extensive access to divine magic. With a bit of refluffing and some work, a Spirit Shaman could also make decent use of their Chastise Spirits ability.

lytokk
2015-01-23, 02:23 PM
I've been reading about the bells. There's no way I can let a level 5 character have something like that. The only thing I can think of (as it has been mentioned) is to make the bells the divine focus for casting spells and turning/rebuking undead. What domains would work? Death is an obvious one, but I can't think of anything else.

Blackhawk748
2015-01-23, 02:42 PM
I've been reading about the bells. There's no way I can let a level 5 character have something like that. The only thing I can think of (as it has been mentioned) is to make the bells the divine focus for casting spells and turning/rebuking undead. What domains would work? Death is an obvious one, but I can't think of anything else.

Deathless may work, just be sure to use Deathless in the campaign, Exorcism, Glory, Good (obviously), Life could work, Pact, Protection, Purification, Repose, Retribution, Rune, War, or Wrath all fit thematically and have spells that arent garbage. I found the list here (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/JHtB/domains.html) not sure if its truly comprehensive.

Also im seconding the Good Cleric that Rebukes undead as well as the Archivist if they want to be more bookish.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-01-23, 02:44 PM
I would stay away from any domain which has lots of negative energy attacks or animating spells. Good domains are Divine Magician (technically ACF, arcane spells of choice), Glory, Magic, Spell, War (favoured weapon: longsword), anything which has things like Break Enchantment, combined with anti-undead spells, and things which imbue items (which Pact magic can do easily). In the books, the Abhorsen fights undead mainly, but is in principle the batman-on-duty versus any supernatural threat.

Waker
2015-01-23, 03:03 PM
Granting the seven bells to a character would be too much definitely, we were more just explaining some of the fluff behind the character. Death Domain doesn't really seem too appropriate for an Abhorsen. While they do use necromancy, their big thing tends to be more towards the commanding, binding and destruction of undead rather than using naughty magic to hurt things. Some domains that would make more sense depending on which aspect of the Abhorsen you wish to highlight might be: Charm, Domination and Tyranny represent the enchanting nature of the bells to a degree (though don't take more than one), Glory if you decide to focus more on the blowing undead apart, Inquisition might not be bad since most Free Magic creatures would probably be considered Chaotic, Pact has some interesting thematic bonus and spells, Protection goes well with the Charter Magic angle, Purification has the bonus of granting a boost to abjuration (which could act as Charter magic), works well against undead and other icky stuff and has two spells that are sound based, which as mentioned before, much of the magic in the series relies on sound. Repose works as you could be a good-aligned necromancer by the game rules. Rune could also help cover the writing based aspects of Charter magic, though it seems a bit situational.
A lot to take in, but the Abhorsen has a decent array of powers that don't translate nice and neatly into 3.5 terms. You could get your player to focus on a certain parts of the character at the expense of others. Purification and Repose would give you the ability to be a good-aligned spellcaster who has some access to necromancy with a good array of defensive and cleansing type effects. Could still houserule them being able to Rebuke undead as well.

Troacctid
2015-01-23, 03:11 PM
The bells could just be your holy symbol. It makes sense, since you use them to rebuke and command undead.

lytokk
2015-01-23, 03:13 PM
Considering the other party member is going to be a modified dread necromancer with an skeleton companion, and both of them are going to be from the same cult/group/order, letting a good cleric be able to rebuke some undead fits the game.

ngilop
2015-01-23, 05:23 PM

The thing about the bells are each are more powerful than the last and im not sure cleric would be the best thing, probably either a dread necro or just a plain wizard would work. I mean there is no power from a diety or power from an idea. they have to study the book, study the dead, etc etc that screams wizard to me.

in terms of D&D sabriel was pretty high level., so yeah getting all the bells would be a bit crazy at level 5, but getting maybe Ranna and Kibeth would be decent (Mosrael gives dead life again, but takes you to death as a price)

Sayt
2015-01-23, 05:43 PM
I always felt that the Abhorsens worked pretty well as Bards, with a unique seven-PRC that let you access the bells one per level, in order of power, and use them with bardic music rounds. (And give other stuff as well, I just haven't developed it yet.)

Edit: I just realised this is 3.5 and bardic music rounds aren't actually a thing, hrm.

Divayth Fyr
2015-01-23, 05:54 PM
The thing about the bells are each are more powerful than the last and im not sure cleric would be the best thing, probably either a dread necro or just a plain wizard would work. I mean there is no power from a diety or power from an idea. they have to study the book, study the dead, etc etc that screams wizard to me.
Maybe an Archivist? You get to study a book to get your spells and have bonus "information" on undead (via Dark Knowledge).

Of course if homebrew was allowed, there are certain things (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?164766-Bridger-of-Death-(PrC-Item-Demiplane-3-5-P-E-A-C-H-)) that could be used.

ngilop
2015-01-23, 06:25 PM
Maybe an Archivist? You get to study a book to get your spells and have bonus "information" on undead (via Dark Knowledge).

Of course if homebrew was allowed, there are certain things (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?164766-Bridger-of-Death-(PrC-Item-Demiplane-3-5-P-E-A-C-H-)) that could be used.

HOLY CRAP, I totally forgot about archivist. yeah they would totally work as well.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-01-23, 06:52 PM
If you are going archivist or wizard, I'd advise making a gish. After all, the Abhorsen does wear armour, and she does use a sword most of the time (to deliver spells, sometimes), with a bell off-hand. Pal 2/archivist X or pal 4/archivist X, with divine grace keyed of wisdom and rebuke instead of turning, maybe going into Ruby Knight Vindicator? That sort of thing.

Edit: or you use the prestige paladin, but that requires you pick up turning somewhere, which Archivist doesn't grant. Still, cleric 4/crusader 1/prestige paladin 2/rkv X?

Sabriel is not that high-levelled, probably only level 5-8 or so. Yes, the bells emulate decently high-level spell effects, but they also generally take a fairly long time to work, and they have drawbacks. For example:

Ranna causes sleep. First-level spell, move along.
Mosrael creates undead - not under the caster's control, and it throws the user back into Death (negative energy plane or something) - you get 1d4 undead per 10 minutes, and you have to survive in a negative energy-dominant plane for the duration of the casting. Not the most practical, but still good if the DM allows minionmancy. In any case, Abhorsens aren't allowed to do this.
Kibeth allows force moving/not moving - hold person is a second-level spell.
Dyrim allows speaking/not speaking - it's like silence, except single-target, so it might be second or even first-level. The ability to restore speech might be worth a bit more, like lesser restoration perhaps.
Belgaer restores or erases memories. This is a legitimately powerful ability, but it's easy to interrupt - if you distort the sound of the bell, the caster's memories are wiped instead. In the books, it's never used by the Abhorsen (once, to restore, maybe? not sure), and many evil necromancers don't fancy it either. But if memory drain = mental ability damage, it's effectively restoration for casters.
Saraneth controls beings, particularly undead and spirits. It requires winning an opposed charisma check and probably standard-action concentration to keep an on-CR target controlled - that's not really very great. Comparable to rebuking (although a more elaborate binding ritual will allow proper dominating).
Astarael kills everything that can hear it, no exceptions, will negates (no save for the user, user can't be resurrected, unless by divine intervention). Very fun ability - 1/lifetime, effect: TPK (will negates).

Most of the really powerful magic involving the bells, also involves separate incantations and rituals.

The biggest advantage Sabriel has, in game terms, is a bloodline with +2 on saves against undead abilities, negative energy resistance 5, and a nice fat stack of favoured enemy (undead) as a background feat. Plus the benefit of a minor artifact concerning undead (the handbook of the past hundred or so generations of Abhorsen).

Sayt
2015-01-23, 07:05 PM
Astarael isn't quite 1/lifetime, as I'm pretty sure it doesn't dunk you past the ninth precinct, a necromancer can come back from it, just not necessarily easily.

Divayth Fyr
2015-01-23, 07:32 PM
Belgaer was described as being able to "restore independent thought, memory and all the patterns of a living person, or slipping in a careless hand, erase them." The first part makes it seem like breaking things like dominate or charm person would be a possibility.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-01-23, 07:46 PM
Astarael isn't quite 1/lifetime, as I'm pretty sure it doesn't dunk you past the ninth precinct, a necromancer can come back from it, just not necessarily easily.
You're quite right. I was thinking of Terciel, but he had other reasons for not returning, of course. It's more of a 'forced plane shift (or gate, as you can go back by walking) to negative energy plane' than a true wail of the banshee.

@Divayth Fyr: I thought that referred entirely to the destructive effects of Death and Belgaer itself (not regular forgetfulness or dementia, for instance), which in D&D would probably be ability damage, ability drain, and negative levels. The Restoration spell line fits very well. Dispelling/enchantment breaking is more a matter of pact magic, or other bells, perhaps Mosrael paired with Kibeth. Or you could counter-dominate with Saraneth and immediately let go.

Divayth Fyr
2015-01-23, 08:13 PM
I thought that referred entirely to the destructive effects of Death and Belgaer itself (not regular forgetfulness or dementia, for instance), which in D&D would probably be ability damage, ability drain, and negative levels. The Restoration spell line fits very well. Dispelling/enchantment breaking is more a matter of pact magic, or other bells, perhaps Mosrael paired with Kibeth. Or you could counter-dominate with Saraneth and immediately let go.
Note that in the ending of Abhorsen
Mogget/Yrael was freed from the spell that bound him by Belgaer alone.

Behind her, she heard Yrael speak, and Sabriel, and the brief chime of Belgaer, so strange after the massed song of all the bells, its single voice freeing Mogget from his millennia of servitude.

Sayt
2015-01-23, 08:24 PM
You're quite right. I was thinking of Terciel, but he had other reasons for not returning, of course. It's more of a 'forced plane shift (or gate, as you can go back by walking) to negative energy plane' than a true wail of the banshee.

I figure it was Terciel's 'Time' and he ascended through he ninth gate. Maybe it drops you into the ninth precinct?

But yeah, The Old Kingdom settings Cosmology is.... significantly different from standard DND, which confuses things.