PDA

View Full Version : Gamer Tales when you get a gift, but its the wrong one.

LucianoAr
2015-01-23, 02:07 PM
i just needed to tell this to someone who would understand. my gf just went back from a trip and bought me D&D books.

AWESOME.... right?

yeah, 4th edition core books. wish i could see my face when i saw em.

i guess i can at least use the monster manual right? is there a conversion tool somewhere? i got some pretty artbooks for the rest of it =).

haha anyone got more stories like this? i find em hilarious. (even being on the wrong side of it)

Anxe
2015-01-23, 02:15 PM
There isn't a great conversion tool for 4E monsters to 3rd edition, but I've found just reading through it gives great ideas for encounters or homebrew monsters that are really similar to the ones in the book. The Spectral Panther was one that I remember using. The best conversion tool is just using the monster from the 3rd edition Monster Manuals. Most of them have equivalents.

The 4E traps are also way more interactive than 3rd edition ones. Those can also be adapted easily.

Skill challenges and templates are a little harder to adapt, but you could give it a try. I think if you did skill challenges your players would start to suspect you of trying to run 4E in a 3rd edition campaign.

Vitruviansquid
2015-01-23, 02:15 PM
I don't get it... did you already own the 4e books, or were you not playing 4e at the time, so they were useless?

If the latter, hey, at least you get to try out a different RPG if you ever feel like it.

Beta Centauri
2015-01-23, 02:35 PM
Skill challenges and templates are a little harder to adapt, but you could give it a try. I think if you did skill challenges your players would start to suspect you of trying to run 4E in a 3rd edition campaign. Skill-based challenges in 4th are no different than in any other game. 4th Edition just offers answers to perennial questions about how to run such challenges, along with some some good edition- and system-neutral advice. Even if one doesn't use the exact approach in the books, it's good food for thought.

Good point on the traps. I think a lot can be drawn from the approach to monsters too. If I were to run an edition other than 4th, I'd definitely include minions, and I definitely wouldn't make monsters using the character creation rules.

LucianoAr
2015-01-23, 02:40 PM
haha no theyre not useless at all. its just funny when all i run all my life are 2nd, 3.5 and 5th edition games (i was absent from rpgs in the whole 4th edition lifespan)

i love that you guys are pointing out things to implement from 4th. actually i wanted some tactical spice in i confess.

Honest Tiefling
2015-01-23, 03:09 PM
I assume your girlfriend is not into the hobby. Which means she supports it, even if she's not a part of it. Keep this one, even if it is the wrong edition. I just tell myself that it is the thought that counts, that they spent time and effort to hunt these down. I have a 2nd edition book that I love because I just like to read it for the information and ideas and well...To sit nicely on my bookshelf with all of the other books.

And remember, you probably do it to her as well.

TheThan
2015-01-23, 04:14 PM
My bro has done this to me. I love the man but he has a habit of buying me things He wants instead of things I want. He bought me a card game (one of those deck building games). I had zero interest in it. He even asked me if I wanted it, I said I didn’t want it and he still bought it for me anyway. I ended up trading it to him for a Decent Journeys in the dark expansion later on. he was obsessing over that card game for weeks.

He also bought me spirit of the century. Which is great, I love that game. But I already had the book. Well at least you I always use a second copy of the book at the table.

Kornaki
2015-01-23, 04:39 PM
So you have never played 4th edition, and someone got you the 4th edition core books as a present, and you're wondering what you're supposed to do?

tomandtish
2015-01-23, 06:22 PM
So you have never played 4th edition, and someone got you the 4th edition core books as a present, and you're wondering what you're supposed to do?

As someone commented earlier, your GF is not into the hobby? 4E might be a good way to see if that could change. I'm not a big fan, but as an introduction to role-playing it is much easier to learn than the other versions.

Edit to address original question...

Also, I'm a 45yo male. My grandmother remembered that I liked fantasy and horror. So because she assumed I'd like books about vampires, she got me all 4 Twilight books .... in hardback.....

Yes, I did read them. I wanted to be able to honestly tell her i read them. My revenge came when the first movie was on cable. She wanted to watch it so we could "bond".

Half way through she's like "You really like this? It's awful! It makes Anne Rice look great". (At which point I found out she's read Anne Rice).

I explained that many people consider Twilight an extremely poor example of the genre, myself included.

She spent the rest of the evening trying to apologize. "I'm really sorry".

"I appreciate the thought Grandma".

"So you forgive me?"

"Oh no. I fully plan on holding this over your head for many years. Among all our family stories, there will be the 'Grandma inflicted Twilight upon me' story. I suspect it will even beat Mom's 'Grandma yelling at me in the middle of church about having sex with your father' story".

"It's not really that bad isn't it".

"Yep".

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-01-23, 09:19 PM
Sigh, even making a list doesn't help. This year I made a christmas list that included things with a price range from $5-$300. I included the make, the model, and the cheapest location to buy them. I got stuff that was just as expensive and sort of in the ballpark, but completely wrong. I give up. Give me money, baked goods, or lets just agree not to give gifts.