PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Alchemist/Vivisectionist/Beastmaster Mr Hyde build - Advice please

aza9999
2015-01-23, 05:14 PM
I've made my first attempt at a Mr Hyde (or in this case Miss Hyde) build

N'zallah
Female tiefling alchemist (beastmorph, vivisectionist) Level 7
Init +3; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +11
Str 17, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 20, Wis 14, Cha 7
AC 18, touch 13, flat-footed 15 (+5 armor, +3 Dex)
Fort +8, Ref +8, Will +4
Resist cold 5, electricity 5, fire 5
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft.
bite +10 (1d8+5), 2 claws +10 (1d6+5) (When using mutagen)
Melee longspear +8 (1d8+4/×3) or
unarmed strike +8 (1d3+3)
Special Attacks sneak attack +4d6
Base Atk +5; CMB +8; CMD 21
Feats - Blinding sneak attack, Brew Potion, Extra Discovery[APG], Improved Unarmed Strike, Power Attack, Throw Anything
Traits bruising intellect, highlander (hills or mountains), pragmatic activator (meticulous drawback)
Skills Acrobatics +10, Disable Device +13, Intimidate +15, Perception +12, Stealth +16 (+18 in hilly or rocky areas), Use Magic Device +15;
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Feral Mutagen (Su) Mutagens grant claw and bite attacks, and a bonus to intimidate.
Improved Beastform Mutagen Mutagen grants two beast shape I abilities.
Improved Unarmed Strike Unarmed strikes don't cause attacks of opportunity, and can be lethal.
Infuse Mutagen (Su) When the alchemist creates a mutagen, he can infuse it with an extra bit of his own magical power. This inflicts 2 points of Intelligence damage to the alchemist and costs 1,000 gp in rare reagents, but the mutagen created persists on its own and is
Mutagen (DC 18) (Su) Mutagen adds +4 to a physical & -2 to a mental attribute, and +2 nat. armor for 70 minutes.
Power Attack -2/+4 You can subtract from your attack roll to add to your damage.
Prehensile Tail Your tail can retrieve small objects on your person as a swift action.
Sneak Attack +4d6 Attacks deal extra dam if flank foe or if foe is flat-footed.
Spontaneous Healing (35 HP/day) The alchemist gains the ability to heal from wounds rapidly. As a free action once per round, he can heal 5 hit points as if he had the fast healing ability
Blinding sneak attack - If you successfully sneak attack a creature in magical darkness it is blinded for 1 round unless it makes a fort save DC 10 + sneak attack damage

The idea would be to have magical darkness permanently going on an object (which could be covered when needed), get the first sneak attack in on enemies (whether by going first, stealth, flanking etc) which should blind them with blinding sneak attack thus meaning i can go to town with my full bite+2claw (given to me by feral mutagen) with sneak attack on additional attacks. Beastmorph means at level 6 i can fly and at level 10 i can pounce making it even easier to get in a full round of attacks, increasing my chance of triggering blinding sneak attack.

Main extracts are enlarge person which with my reach weapon will mean i can hit a lot of enemies (may take combat reflexes later), blistering invective which allows me to make a 30ft demoralize check causing 1d10 fire damage to those i beat (Bruising intellect trait means i am using int instead of cha for intimidate)

Spontaneous healing + healing touch means i heal myself 5 points/round as a free action for level*5 HP per day which automatically kicks in if i go below 0 hp.

Can anyone see any major flaws with this character concept, or have suggestions on improvement?

StreamOfTheSky
2015-01-24, 02:33 PM
Nice stats! Usually a str-based Alchemist is too multiple ability dependent to avoid making big sacrifices, but you have high all around except for the charisma dump, of course.

You should really look into Alchemical Allocation, it's the best level 2 extract, you can get level 3 effects w/ your level 2 slot, in some cases effectively level 4 spells (thanks mostly to Summoner's borked spell list).

Here's a short list of potions and elixers you may want to get (remember, with AA, they're not permanently consumed):
CL 20 Potion of Greater Magic Fang
Potion of Strongjaw (made by ranger)
CL 12+ Potion of Barkskin
Elixer of Shadewalking
Elixer of Tumbling
Elixer of Hiding
Elixer of Vision
CL 11+ Potion of Resist Energy
Potion of Stoneskin (made by summoner)
Potion of Greater Invis (made by summoner)
CL 16+ Potion of Acute Senses (better w/ Eternal Potion)
Since you're using potions, you can augment the duration w/ Extend and Eternal Potion discoveries, and really should do so. Shadewalking will let you give the entire party shadow walk for half a day, might be worth splitting the cost on.

Other stand out extracts: Monstrous Physique II and Fluid Form. The former lets you become a 6-armed Calikang (which if you can't find a use for, I don't know what to say) and some other many-armed monstrosities. The latter is a nice +10 ft reach buff and one of the *only* spells you actually get a spell level discount on (4 instead of 6).
If you paid the bs tax for Infusion, you can combine Touch Injection with Skin Send to no-save defeat a foe (as long as someone else coup de grace's their helpless flesh-less body before they get a turn to merge back together), though your DM might get upset about that combo...

Discoveries (either by class or w/ Extra feat): Tumor Familiar is pretty nice for its cost; at a minimum it's Improved Initiative + Alertness in one feat if you pick one that gives +4 initiative. If you use your Anthro. Animal injection (or take Improved Familiar, which is also worth it), it can make use of your UMD ranks and start using wands. If DM lets you choose different feats for it than the standard one(s), you can really spec it out w/ Flagbearer or Additional Traits to help buff the party.
I really like Wings, too. You can't always have the mutagen going for flight, so wings is a nice back-up. Tentacle or Vestigial Arms, even if DM is strict about not gaining more attacks, is worth a feat just so you can wear a heavy shield (darkwood removes all penalties for non-proficiency and is very cheap) and gain anywhere from +2 to +7 (w/ +5 enhancement) AC bonus w/o giving up any of your attack routine.

aza9999
2015-01-24, 06:32 PM
Thanks for all the great advice. I saw alchemical allocation mentioned elsewhere with the CL20 GMF potion but you've added a bunch of other great potion ideas too :)

Tumor familiar is definitely one i'm looking into. I prioritised the spontaneous healing/healing touch because having an extra 5hp/level per day (so 35 at lvl 7) which you can use as free actions and auto-heals you if you go unconscious is awesome. Feral mutagen and infuse mutagen were both really must haves for me too.

Fluid form looks like a great upgrade to long arm, extending out to 10ft.

I considered vestigial arm/tentacle so i could hold a sword for close attacks while wielding my longspear in the other two but decided that i had my bite in close quarters. I hadn't thought of using it to carry a shield which is a really cool idea.

Extend and enhance potion are both pretty good options too

Having wings to fly at will is good, but i'd have to weigh up whether something i could get a wand/wonderous item for is worth using a discovery.

Some other interesting discoveries i'm considering are alchemical simulacrum (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/discoveries/paizo---alchemist-discoveries/alchemical-simulacrum-su) and alchemical zombie (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/discoveries/paizo---alchemist-discoveries/alchemical-zombie-su) Having copies of myself or other party members (simulacrum rogue to disarm traps maybe?), or a zombie army following me around is a pretty cool idea but the gp cost is pretty high.

Thanks again for the tips :)