PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Spellscale Template

Thurbane
2015-01-23, 06:01 PM
If you were allowed one (and only one) free +1 or +2 LA template to put on a Spellscale Sorcerer-based gish, what would you pick?

Cheers - T

atemu1234
2015-01-23, 06:04 PM
If you were allowed one (and only one) free +1 or +2 LA template to put on a Spellscale Sorcerer-based gish, what would you pick?

Cheers - T

Anything that boosts charisma.

Vhaidara
2015-01-23, 06:04 PM
Well, Half-Fey is a solid option. Phrenic is a classic. Half Vampire could work. Gravetouched Ghoul likewise. Saint if you're exalted. Draconic if you like being reduntanty redundant.

OldTrees1
2015-01-23, 06:19 PM
Shadow Creature:
LA +2 for
Standard Action Total Concealment
Plane Shift to/from the Shadow Plane

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-01-23, 09:50 PM
Male= Shadow Creature
Female= Half-Nymph

Half-Fey = -CON
Phrenic, you have to sweet-talk your DM into this. The text says "creatures who advance by character class are usually not phrenic creatures—they simply take levels in a psionic class to hone their mental powers."
Half-Vampire is pretty good if you are willing to play a blood-sucker.
Gravetouched Ghoul is pretty awesome, if you are willing to play a ghoul.
Saints kicks ***. If you can stay in character as a saint.
Draconic is pretty solid, even though a Draconic Spellscale just feels wierd.

Marlowe
2015-01-23, 10:38 PM
[cough] Half-Vampires do not have to be bloodsuckers. They get blood dependency only if you choose to have the blood drain special attack.

Vhaidara
2015-01-23, 10:40 PM
Male= Shadow Creature
Female= Half-Nymph

What, men can't be half nymph?

Half-Vampire is pretty good if you are willing to play a blood-sucker.

Actually, only 1 of the three options for half-vamp powers makes you a blood sucker.

Thrice Dead Cat
2015-01-24, 10:11 AM
What, men can't be half nymph?

Nope, the text of the template explicitly states the creature must be female to be a valid target of the template. Don't ask me what happens when a half nymph dons a girdle of masculinity, though.

Inevitability
2015-01-24, 10:34 AM
Say, would a half-nymph whose male parent was the nymph (belt of gender changing shenanigans) be possible? That would be... interesting.

Psyren
2015-01-24, 11:46 AM
Saint, then PrC into Exalted Arcanist.

Nope, the text of the template explicitly states the creature must be female to be a valid target of the template. Don't ask me what happens when a half nymph dons a girdle of masculinity, though.

Half-satyr?

Troacctid
2015-01-24, 12:10 PM
Saint, then PrC into Exalted Arcanist.

You have it backwards. Exalted Arcanist first, so that you get bonus exalted feats to qualify for sainthood.

Psyren
2015-01-24, 12:43 PM
You have it backwards. Exalted Arcanist first, so that you get bonus exalted feats to qualify for sainthood.

I assumed "free template" meant not needing to qualify, but if you have to meet the prereqs then you're absolutely right.

Thurbane
2015-01-24, 01:02 PM
I assumed "free template" meant not needing to qualify, but if you have to meet the prereqs then you're absolutely right.

Sorry, by "free" I meant you can ignore the LA. You still need to qualify for the template in question.

Psyren
2015-01-24, 01:06 PM
Sorry, by "free" I meant you can ignore the LA. You still need to qualify for the template in question.

Gotcha - so can you opt to get the template later in your career, or does it have to be something you can apply at 1st level? And if you can get it later, what will that do to your ECL/XP gain relative to the players that do have templates on from the beginning?

DrMotives
2015-01-24, 01:34 PM
I don't know where the half-nymph template comes from, but contradicts previous fluff on almost every one of those single-gender species, nymphs included. The old way they worked was a nymph who had a daughter with a humanoid had a nymph child. A male would either be the father's race, or maybe a male crossbreed race, like the male hagspawn race from Unapproachable East.

Thurbane
2015-01-24, 01:44 PM
Gotcha - so can you opt to get the template later in your career, or does it have to be something you can apply at 1st level? And if you can get it later, what will that do to your ECL/XP gain relative to the players that do have templates on from the beginning?

It's just a hypothetical, so you could apply the template at any stage.