PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Just for fun: Obscene LA challenge

theUnearther
2015-01-23, 09:59 PM
What the title says. If you had to play a character with effective level 20 and level adjustment at least 17, what would it be?

Note that I have no particular use of this. It's just that I'm curious how much blood you all will squeeze out of this stone.

With a box
2015-01-23, 10:02 PM
Does RHD count? Or max 3HD?

theUnearther
2015-01-23, 10:08 PM
It very much would count, thence "effective level".

Yes I assume this results in a lot of template stacking. I still think it's an interesting question, in the hands of a better optimizer than I.

Judge_Worm
2015-01-23, 10:44 PM
Red, White, Blue, Black, and Green Half-Dragon DragonkinDraconic Tiefling Half-Dragon Racial Paragon 3
My only feat would be power attack.

Just for kicks.

Edit: Forgot Dragonkin had 7rhd

unbutu
2015-01-23, 10:44 PM
So.... Spellcasters would not be usefull here (Finally ! ), and I guess we want an average of +2 stat/level to our main stat (edit: And natural attacks) to simulate full BAB...

theUnearther
2015-01-23, 10:50 PM
I was sure half dragon came with racial hitdice. Learned something, I did!

And I don't know where dragonkin is from, but unless it has -1 hitdie, Paragon 3 gives you 2 feats.

Judge_Worm
2015-01-23, 10:54 PM
I was sure half dragon came with racial hitdice. Learned something, I did!

And I don't know where dragonkin is from, but unless it has -1 hitdie, Paragon 3 gives you 2 feats.

I reserve the right to leave feat slots open (for epic feats)

Flickerdart
2015-01-23, 11:44 PM
I reserve the right to leave feat slots open (for epic feats)
You're not Epic until you reach 20HD, so you'd be holding those open for quite a long time.

Buufreak
2015-01-23, 11:49 PM
So far I am getting +10 with vampire lord, half ogre, half minotaur, mineral warrior. That will fetch a slam, a gore, +26 strength, +19 NA, large size, and a bunch of other silly stuff like a few DRs, resistances, and ridiculous kill conditions. Could possibly use the feral vampire from LM that trades slam for 2 claws to score an extra hit and extra level drain. Other than that, 1 dip barb for pounce, 2 warblade for their shenanigans.

Rebel7284
2015-01-23, 11:58 PM
Hmr, if it was total ECL, I would totally go with Black Ethergaunt.

WeaselGuy
2015-01-24, 12:10 AM
Can I do a Rakshasa Lich, with 2 levels of Sorcerer? Rakshasa is 7RHD with 7LA, and Lich adds another 4LA, bringing it to 7 RHD and 11 LA, plus 2 more levels of Sorcerer, giving him 9 effective levels of Sorcerer. not as powerful as a full caster, but just short of using a dragon, and confining myself to just the MM1 and PHB, this is what I came up with.

Also, it's arguable (to me) on whether Lich can be added to a Rakshasa. Lich requires "any humanoid" and Rakshasa is an Outsider (Native), however, I've seen Mind Flayer Liches, and they are Aberrations, so... yeah.

Flickerdart
2015-01-24, 12:26 AM
Can I do a Rakshasa Lich, with 2 levels of Sorcerer? Rakshasa is 7RHD with 7LA, and Lich adds another 4LA, bringing it to 7 RHD and 11 LA, plus 2 more levels of Sorcerer, giving him 9 effective levels of Sorcerer. not as powerful as a full caster, but just short of using a dragon, and confining myself to just the MM1 and PHB, this is what I came up with.
If you start taking races and giving them levels, you might as well just not do the challenge in the first place.

Also, it's arguable (to me) on whether Lich can be added to a Rakshasa. Lich requires "any humanoid" and Rakshasa is an Outsider (Native), however, I've seen Mind Flayer Liches, and they are Aberrations, so... yeah.
Mind flayers have their own special lich template (Alhoon from Lords of Madness). No such template exists for Outsiders, so there's no question - it can't be added to a Rakshasa.

Rebel7284
2015-01-24, 12:29 AM
Monster of Legend is +7 and a great start (casting!)

Edit: Upon Further consideration, Spellstiched +1 and taking evolved undead 16 times may actually be optimal. +32 Str, +32 Cha, a TON of spells.

WeaselGuy
2015-01-24, 12:34 AM
If you start taking races and giving them levels, you might as well just not do the challenge in the first place.

Mind flayers have their own special lich template (Alhoon from Lords of Madness). No such template exists for Outsiders, so there's no question - it can't be added to a Rakshasa.

Begging your pardon, but, as stated above, RHD and LA combined for ECL > 17 conforms. With my original thought of Lich adding 4 to the Rakshasa's already present 14, that brought me up to 18. This was no different than the dragon amalgamation above using paragon levels to finish up. Thank you for the insight about Lich, I had forgotten about Alhoon, therefore I need to tweak my Rakshasa, and get him at minimum 3 LA from template(s) to bring him up to 17.