PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ways to get a primary tail attack

GargantuanOwl
2015-01-24, 12:30 AM
So I'm going to be starting a campaign soon and I really want to create a dragon born fighter/dragonfire adept with a tail attack which I can use to trip opponents. I know there is a graft that I can get but I feel like a dragon born wouldnt want that due to their dragon pride and seeing dragon trophies as disgusting, also I want it ASAP and getting a graft would take to long for me. My DM says I may use anything in any 3.5 book (and may possibly be able to be talked into 3.0) or any dragon magazine, but I only have starting equipment or anything else worth no more than 5500gp.

Psyren
2015-01-24, 12:39 AM
Shape Soulmeld (Dragon Tail) from Dragon Magic will give you a tail attack, but it's hard to combine it with other attacks as written.

Forrestfire
2015-01-24, 12:46 AM
The Dragon Tail feat from Races of the Dragon grants a tail attack, but it is noted to be Secondary. However, if you take the Two-Weapon Fighting feat and the Prehensile Tail feat (Serpent Kingdoms), you can then use the tail as a "hand" to use a weapon, making it effectively primary (and, in fact, your Two-Weapon Fighting will upgrade to Multiweapon Fighting). Slap a locked gauntlet (as a gauntlet, it is a weapon, and thus wieldable by the tail. Maybe it's better refluffed as strapping the blade to the tail) and a sickle or something onto it, and you've got the same amount of damage you'd be doing with a tail attack, and almost the same penalty as if you were using it in normal melee.

And it can trip things, which a normal tail would not be able to do.

Troacctid
2015-01-24, 01:00 AM
And it can trip things, which a normal tail would not be able to do.

Why couldn't a normal tail trip things? Tripping only requires making an unarmed melee touch attack; it doesn't have to be with your hands or feet.

Forrestfire
2015-01-24, 01:49 AM
Oh, my bad. Correction: A normal trip attack doesn't trip things. You could do it with any tail, even one that doesn't have any attacks. Just need to unarmed touch... And I now want to play someone who uses prehensile hair to trip attack people.

Psyren
2015-01-24, 03:14 AM
Oh, my bad. Correction: A normal trip attack doesn't trip things. You could do it with any tail, even one that doesn't have any attacks. Just need to unarmed touch... And I now want to play someone who uses prehensile hair to trip attack people.

Pathfinder Witch (particularly the white-haired witch archetype) can do this easily.

Sian
2015-01-24, 05:15 AM
and, in fact, your Two-Weapon Fighting will upgrade to Multiweapon Fighting

Where is this actually writen? ... been looking after it for some time, but i've been unable to find it.

hamishspence
2015-01-24, 05:32 AM
And I now want to play someone who uses prehensile hair to trip attack people.

One of the Dungeon Magazine issues had rules for blades worn in the hair, as a weapon - issue 120. Those are bonus attacks though, rather than main ones - used in a full-round attack.

Psyren
2015-01-24, 05:41 AM
Where is this actually writen? ... been looking after it for some time, but i've been unable to find it.

It's from the special line:

Multiweapon Fighting [General]
Prerequisites
Dex 13, three or more hands.

Benefit
Penalties for fighting with multiple weapons are reduced by 2 with the primary hand and reduced by 6 with off hands.

Normal
A creature without this feat takes a -6 penalty on attacks made with its primary hand and a -10 penalty on attacks made with its off hands. (It has one primary hand, and all the others are off hands.) See Two-Weapon Fighting.

Special
This feat replaces the Two-Weapon Fighting feat for creatures with more than two arms.

Though your DM may not allow this for a tail-arm.

WhamBamSam
2015-01-24, 12:38 PM
The Prehensile Tail feat explicitly says it counts as a third hand for the purposes of Multiweapon Fighting.

You can use your tail as an extra "hand." It can grasp melee weapons and u se them in combat, a lthough the normal penalties for using an off-hand weapon apply. If you have two hands, your tail counts as a third hand for the purpose of the Multiweapon Fighting feat and all other feats for which it is a prerequisite. You can also use your tail to assist with grapple checks and Climb checks. You gain a +2 competence bonus on all such checks.This is the current 3.5 version, though the one in Savage Species uses the same language if you choose not to use Serpent Kingdoms.

GargantuanOwl
2015-01-24, 09:12 PM
Thanks the soul meld is exactly what I'm looking for. Didn't even think of it.