PDA

View Full Version : Help With Campaign

Thrathgnar
2015-01-24, 01:27 PM
Hello everyone! I've asked for help for a couple things before, and I appreciate all the advice given to me. This time, its about the campaign I am DMing. I'm trying to figure out what adventure to set up next.

The campaign takes place in Greyhawk. My party helped stop a civil war in Yeomanry and thwarted an evil wizard from ressurecting one of Tiamat's consorts, unleashing a wraith on the Sea Princes in the process (they don't know that the wraith is raising an undead army and attacking the Sea Princes, last they heard the wraith was chilling in the Hool Marshes). And almost killing thr king of red dagons. A party mrmber "died" in the fight, but was revived with the eye and hand of Vecna as her "sleeper agent" who is slowly descending into darkness. After that, they traveled to Celene, where one of them discovered that Yolande had made a deal with Turrosh Mak during the Greyhawk wars that resulted in the destruction of his village, so he tried to talk to Yolande about her isolationist policies and failed. They chose to leave Celene, and battled a Hydra alongside a couple strong NPCs and learned that Mordenkainen was murdered. Now they are about to begin a Fate Stay/Night esque Magic War, but after that I have no idea what to do.

The party has a ton of enemies, but they aren't ready to take most of them. I do have a World Tournament planned where the Empire of Iuz try to invade, but I'm saving that for 15th level ish.

My question is what is a good direction for them to go now? I was thinking about introducing a member of the Boneshadow or something, but I'm not sure. Any ideas? Thanks!

Rallicus
2015-01-25, 08:54 AM
Let the party dictate the direction, I think. It's a perfect opportunity to sort of let them go where they want. Do they want to travel deep into the Pomarj and get revenge on Turrosh Mak's armies, or even Mak himself? Do they want to find out what happened to the wraith in the Hool Marsh? Do they want to seek out the Circle of Eigh-- errr, Seven now, to see if Mord has a few clones laying about?

Let them off the rails a bit, see where the players take you.

Thrathgnar
2015-01-25, 01:55 PM
Let the party dictate the direction, I think. It's a perfect opportunity to sort of let them go where they want. Do they want to travel deep into the Pomarj and get revenge on Turrosh Mak's armies, or even Mak himself? Do they want to find out what happened to the wraith in the Hool Marsh? Do they want to seek out the Circle of Eigh-- errr, Seven now, to see if Mord has a few clones laying about?

Let them off the rails a bit, see where the players take you.

Good advice. I'm wanting to keep it open world, I'm just worried they might go a random place and I won't have anything prepared. I guess I can just make stuff up on the fly.

In the endgame, I'm planning on having one of the threats get so big that the remaining good countries call a Summit and form an alliance, with war spreading throughout the entire continent. I think I will let them do whatever for now, maybe slip in a Scarlet Brotherhood reference

dream
2015-01-25, 02:42 PM
Doesn't hurt to ask the players what they want from the game. What kinds of situations best suit them and/or their PCs? Then, merge those desires with your own ideas:smallsmile:

Thrathgnar
2015-01-25, 03:35 PM
Doesn't hurt to ask the players what they want from the game. What kinds of situations best suit them and/or their PCs? Then, merge those desires with your own ideas:smallsmile:

Yeah I asked about that and they are looking for combat/war. I'm having a tough time giving them hard encounters cause they destroy everything I throw at them lol

Rallicus
2015-01-25, 03:46 PM
What edition are you running?

Also if they're looking for war, Onnwal seems a perfect fit -- especially if you want to bring the Scarlet Sign into the fold.

Thrathgnar
2015-01-25, 04:03 PM
What edition are you running?

Also if they're looking for war, Onnwal seems a perfect fit -- especially if you want to bring the Scarlet Sign into the fold.

5e, we are fairly new players (I've played since last summer, and I introduced them a couple months ago). I will look into Onnwal

Tragak
2015-01-31, 02:25 PM
Yeah I asked about that and they are looking for combat/war. I'm having a tough time giving them hard encounters cause they destroy everything I throw at them lol Maybe ask them for ideas about making combat more challenging and still fun for them?

Thrathgnar
2015-02-06, 08:59 AM
Maybe ask them for ideas about making combat more challenging and still fun for them?

Good idea!