PDA

View Full Version : Level Adjustment Point System

JaminDM
2015-01-24, 04:50 PM
I was wandering if one of these existed.

For example +1 strength = 10 points, 50 points for a +1 L.A.

If no such thing exists, does anyone have any idea of how to make one?

Renen
2015-01-24, 04:57 PM
Template A: +4 Str, 0LA
Template B: +4 Str, 0LA

Repeat till infinity.

This idea wont work is what im saying. Though its definitely something to concider.

Necroticplague
2015-01-24, 05:14 PM
Pathfinder has something similar with its RP system for making races. Not as hard and fast, though.

Vhaidara
2015-01-24, 05:16 PM
Template A: +4 Str, 0LA
Template B: +4 Str, 0LA

Repeat till infinity.

This idea wont work is what im saying. Though its definitely something to concider.

So you've noticed that there's an abusable problem in a skeleton system. Since this would be about custom templates, restrict it to one template per character. This system actually sounds like it could work really well.

Chronos
2015-01-24, 06:41 PM
I've seen some guidelines for the line between LA 0 and LA 1, though I've never seen it extended beyond that:

Any of the following will cause a race to have LA:
Net positive modifier to ability scores (e.g., two scores with a +2, and only one with a -2)
Modifier of +4 or more to any one score, with total modifiers being zero (e.g., one score with a +4, and two others being -2 each)
Modifier of +6 or more to any one score, regardless of other scores
Ability to fly before level 5
Size larger than Medium, or Powerful Build
Size smaller than Small
Spell-like ability that mimics any spell of a level greater than 1, usable at first level

Note that there are occasional published exceptions to these guidelines: Anthropomorphic bats, for instance, can fly, and jermlaines are Tiny, and both have +6 to Wisdom. Such races are, however, usually considered to be overpowered. There are also some creatures which end up having LA due to these guidelines, but not being good enough overall to justify their LA, such as hobgoblins and blue goblins.

JaminDM
2015-01-24, 06:58 PM
What about massive bonuses to skills, or bonus feats?