PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Creating an Unique Backstory for an Dwarven Psion.

Soul_Eater111
2015-01-24, 04:51 PM
I think this is where I should post this type of post, sorry kind of new. But if this the wrong place for it I do apologize. But, let’s get right to it. I have been playing D&D for a quite a while and I do love it. What I like doing most is creating unique characters for D&D, or play against type. So I decided to play a dwarven Psion. I have all his stats and powers down, but I don't have his backstory down yet.

So I thought I needed some help, so I asked my DM, and he said that I shouldn't worry about it because the goal & story comes from playing. I would agree to a point. But I think it is better that the character has their own motivation, their own goals, sure they would say the princess, and kill dragons (well die fighting dragons).

Though why would he adventure out? Why would he do these things? Why is he a Psion? And I think creating a backstory helps flesh out the character and the campaign goals could intertwine with the party’s goals.

So here is what I got for his story so far.
He awakes up from a dream-like state and finds himself standing over a bed holding a strange crystal in hand. He doesn't remember what he was doing there, or how he got there, or even where the strange crystal came from. He looks over the bed finding blue robes with golden patterns. He picks up the robes and dust-like substance falls out covering the bed. He examines the robes and finds the raven symbol. He begins to look around, he tries looking through room for anything to explain what is happening. But there was nothing. He begins searching through the house, but there nothing. The house itself wasn't empty, but there wasn't a name of the owner of the house. He gathers some supplies and leaves the house to find out some answers taking the blue robes with the symbol of a raven with him. On his way to the nearest town, he begins to hear a faint voice in his head, at first he denies it. But he continues hearing the voice, if he hasn't lost his mind by now, he is losing it. He starts searching through his things and finds the crystal again. He thought this crystal had some magic power or something that was corrupting him. Before he could throw the crystal out, the crystal begins to talk to him, and he could hear the voice perfectly. The crystal begins asking all types of questions about the young dwarf, from why are you my master to who are you. But this doesn't answer any questions, in fact brings up more questions. So eventually they decided to travel to the town 'together' and find out any information they can seeing the robes of the raven, and this crystal might have some answers. He begins discovering his new powers along the way, and found out the robes belong to guild members of 'Ravefall' a guild who sole purpose was to protect the land from the shadows. He sets off to find members of the guild still searching for answers

So what really happened is that Awyrias (the dwarf) was best-friends with the owner of the crystal who happened to be a powerful Psion, as they have traveled to many places together. However, something begin to happen to the Psion and eventually he passed away, but before he passed away he gave the young dwarf his own crystal giving the dwarf psionic powers, and begin to erase himself from the young dwarf memories (or erase himself from existence depending). So the problem is, the reason why he suddenly died and why he erased himself from existence/memories. Or should I just stick with what I have so far and maybe the DM or I will come up with something?

-Soul_Eater111

Sian
2015-01-24, 05:07 PM
what kind of dwarf are you (this (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20030926a))

Soul_Eater111
2015-01-24, 05:12 PM
what kind of dwarf are you (this (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20030926a))

No just a plain old dwarf from 3.5 players handbook. I figured it would be challanging for my dwarf to use psionics powers, odd, but also fun.