PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder (Path of War) Hex using gunslinger initiator?

Roxxy
2015-01-24, 05:46 PM
Path of War is cool. The Rite Publishing Secrets of the Gunslinger is cool, because it has the hexslinger, a gunslinger archetype that can use witch hexes, for all your weird west gothic needs. Grit is kinda meh, however, and the Veiled Moon discipline looks like it would be so thematically awesome on a character that can use hexes, so I thought "What if I replace grit with initiating, give access to Veiled Moon, then apply the Rite Publishing hexslinger archetype?" I then did exactly that. This is the result. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PRrShKnwLMXHgcYg4lm8zH84tt0mCf6tewnVwj6TcBw/edit?usp=sharing)

Why does it have Thrashing Dragon and Broken Blade? There aren't that many disciplines good for ranged combat, and hexslingers do end up being forced into melee, having to either fight unarmed, use a gun as a bludgeon, or switch to knives or hatchets.

I am wondering what you guys think about it not having armor. On the one hand, I felt it needed a weakness, and do allow armor enchantments to be applied to bracers of armor or amulets of natural armor. On the other hand, it has no armor.

Do you guys feel initiating is too powerful a replacement for grit? Is Cursed Shot (originally a deed, but these hexslingers lack grit) out of control as a maneuver? For those wondering, it's level 4 because the deed was originally gained at level 7, and hexslingers get access to 4th level maneuvers at that level.

Occidental
2015-01-24, 08:48 PM
I don't think a lack of armor really wrecks the class in any way, especially considering the melee Maneuvers that you mentioned, that gives them some leeway with how they want to approach close combat. While I feel that initiating is more useful than Grit, I also don't really like Grit on a personal level, and I really like maneuvers, so I could just be biased. Either way, I'd let this into my game, it's not unbalanced with any comparable class, IMO.

Also, I don't think I've seen this kind of thing before. A Hexslinging initiator? Interesting.