PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Sneaky Maneuver Rogue talent.

Elric VIII
2015-01-24, 06:11 PM
Sneaky Maneuver (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/rogue-talents/paizo---rogue-talents/sneaky-maneuver-ex).

Does this talent do anything other than let you add your weapon damage on top of a maneuver? Or is there something interesting that I am missing?

avr
2015-01-24, 06:27 PM
It lets you spam maneuvers which would normally be 1/round until you get Quick Dirty Trick or whatever.

Elric VIII
2015-01-24, 06:55 PM
It lets you spam maneuvers which would normally be 1/round until you get Quick Dirty Trick or whatever.

How so? It takes your swift action to use the maneuver.

avr
2015-01-24, 09:01 PM
I missed the swift action hidden in the middle of that paragraph, that's how.

Yeah, the ability sucks, like so many other rogue talents.

Elric VIII
2015-01-25, 12:18 AM
That's a shame, thank you for the clarification.

Susano-wo
2015-01-25, 04:50 PM
yikes, that is awful. might be kinda cool if it didn't have the -2 (or, I guess, if rogues were good at combat maneuvers)

Elric VIII
2015-01-25, 05:24 PM
yikes, that is awful. might be kinda cool if it didn't have the -2 (or, I guess, if rogues were good at combat maneuvers)

I was actually thinking of it on a Slayer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/slayer).

Troacctid
2015-01-25, 05:56 PM
It's not just dealing weapon damage, it's also dealing your Strength mod, any additional damage, a chance at critting, etc. And you can use it as part of a full attack (which isn't normally the case for dirty tricks and stealing), making a combat maneuver on one attack and sneak attacking with the rest.

Psyren
2015-01-26, 02:55 AM
I missed the swift action hidden in the middle of that paragraph, that's how.

Yeah, the ability sucks, like so many other rogue talents.

For rogues this comes online much earlier than Quick Dirty Trick or Quick Steal (rogue 2 instead of rogue 8) and has no feat prereqs, so it's still useful even if you're going for those. They can even be used in tandem - QDT and QS only replace your highest iterative, but this can potentially replace any of them, so long as the triggering attack hits, but you don't have to make the attempt until it does anyway.

Note that Steal can also be performed with a whip - you take a penalty, but you can do it from 15ft away, and because you're performing the maneuver with that weapon you can add any bonuses on the weapon to your attempt.

They can be, agile maneuvers being a thing. You just have to roll up your optimization sleeves.

There's also Major Magic (True Strike), + Quicken SLA if needed, or UMD'ing a QTS scroll; that's less useful with this specifically since both are competing for your swift, but using it before QDT will almost be auto-success, and let you dish out considerable pain to certain foes as the rest of your attacks hit their flatfooted AC and deal sneak attack.

MightyPirate
2015-01-26, 05:53 AM
If you're going Slayer anyway consider Bounty Hunter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/slayer/archetypes/paizo---slayer-archetypes/bounty-hunter). It has a similar ability at the same level although it's only for dirty trick. It does however get a bonus dependent on the sneak attack damage you're foregoing, doesn't trigger AoOs, and is used as a free action. That and Slayer's don't get access to sneaky maneuver unless I'm missing something so this is probably a better option than being a rogue.