PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Break the Kasatha

HereBeMonsters
2015-01-24, 09:02 PM
Kasatha (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/more-races/advanced-races-11-20-rp/kasatha-20-rp)

What classes, feats, item combos would absolutely break this race wide open?
And of course this considers that Multi-Weapon Fighting allows the Kasatha to fight with 4 weapons.

Renen
2015-01-24, 10:12 PM
Be a StP erudite.

2015-01-24, 10:17 PM
Be a StP erudite.

If you'd followed the link, you'd see that it's a Pathfinder race, making your attempt at a joke a failure.

@OP

I'm sure someone more versed in Pathfinder optimization than I am will be along shortly to give you a real answer. Sorry to get your hopes up.

Renen
2015-01-24, 10:23 PM
Ok... Be a wizard!

But to be serious, the arms dont really change much. I cant quite remember if PF has any rules on wielding stuff with more than 2 hands, but that would be your best bet, used with some ubercharger build.

Karl Aegis
2015-01-24, 11:03 PM
...Are those anthropomorphic locust? Their abilities sound like they're some kind of locust. Mostly the jumping without a running start and six limbs.

Milo v3
2015-01-24, 11:37 PM
...Are those anthropomorphic locust? Their abilities sound like they're some kind of locust. Mostly the jumping without a running start and six limbs.

Nah, more... short albino Tharks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tharks).

Arutema
2015-01-24, 11:58 PM
Look at the various gunslinger builds that use tricks like weapon-cord juggling or alchemist dips to grow a third arm just so they can use 2 guns and still reload.

Scoff at them. You have 3 arms to hold guns, 1 to reload them and racial Dex and Wis bonuses.

If melee is more your thing, have a look at the sawtooth saber. You treat it as a light weapon for TWF and MWF if you spend the proficiency feat. Since it's still a 1-handed weapon for other purposes, a Swashbuckler can use it with slashing grace to apply your Dex bonus to hit and damage to it. Slashing grace doesn't have a limit against using off-hand weapons, so wield 4 of them. The Red Mantis Assassin (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/PrestigeClassesDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Red%20Mantis% 20Assassin) prestigs class is optional, but highly thematic for this.

HereBeMonsters
2015-01-25, 02:17 AM
Well the reason I ask is yes as a Gish class a four weapon wielder would be insanely powerful

What could a Magus do if he was wielding a weapon in four arms, especially a kensei? Things like this are why I am curious. I also thought what would a Monk/Brawler/Sacred Fist do with the ability to throw four punches at level 1, 8 punches at level 8 (For Monk and Sacred Fist, 6 for Brawler) and so forth.

(Un)Inspired
2015-01-25, 04:46 PM
If you'd followed the link, you'd see that it's a Pathfinder race, making your attempt at a joke a failure

Isn't the basic assumption of pathfinder that one uses 3.5 material? Wasn't that a huge part of the point of the system?

Doesn't that mean the joke still works?

Also, joking aside, the way to break the Kasatha is to make one a Psionic Artificer.

HereBeMonsters
2015-01-25, 08:28 PM
Alright which is true, STP Erudite (One of my favorite classes) and Psi Artificer are always broken. I mean more something that compliments the race to make it way powerful.

For example if I read right Monk at level one flurries 4 times at all -2, at 6th level it would be a +4,+4,-1,-1,-1 add another -1 in there if you pick up Improved Two Weapon Fighting (According to James Jacob in how it would work with Kasatha and Multiweapon fighting)

Is that not a little insane to have so many attacks?

Feint's End
2015-01-25, 08:39 PM
I'm not sure but I think the most broken thing has something to do with Brutal Disruptor Cryptic and a few dips :smallamused:

Erik Vale
2015-01-25, 08:45 PM
Double Barraled Shotgun+Dragon Breath Alchemical Ammo.

With each attack you can double shot, doubling your atttacks, because you're using an AOE, your attack bonus doesn't matter. Grab four of them, load them, cast abundent ammunition on them [the chambers are the amunition holder, so you also automatically reload with each shot].

Add range boosters to increase your range from 15ft. Anything that's not fire resistant quickly char broils.

Cryptic + Channeling Weapon or Intimidator ACF.

Any pounce build [4 lances!].

Zaq
2015-01-26, 12:53 AM

Sounds to me like they're just PFicized thri-kreen.

HereBeMonsters
2015-01-26, 01:27 AM

They are more like the Tharks
http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m633/PsyrenY/4f140e46-8c69-4484-a74b-42908689d00e.png
Less Bug like.

Psyren
2015-01-26, 02:27 AM
Isn't the basic assumption of pathfinder that one uses 3.5 material? Wasn't that a huge part of the point of the system?

Doesn't that mean the joke still works?

Not really, since Paizo has yet to officially support psionics in PF. Currently you need 3PP to do so.

Game-wise, yes, they were created so those folks who liked Thri-kreen (and other 4-armed races) would have an outlet that bypassed WotC's product identity. But the Edgar Rice Burroughs race is undoubtedly the main fluff/appearance inspiration.

(Un)Inspired
2015-01-26, 02:43 AM
Not really, since Paizo has yet to officially support psionics in PF. Currently you need 3PP to do so.

In another thread regarding pathfinder and 3.5 material, today, you posted:

That is a group problem, not a system problem. The intention was always to mix in 3.5 material, if a group chooses not to take advantage of that functionality then PF is hardly to blame.

Does this mean you believe paizo intends players to include 3.5 material? It seems like you are taking contradictory stands here but I may be misinterpreting what you're saying.

I was under the impression that pathfinder assumes one uses 3.5 in addition to native pathfinder materials for things like how burrow works because they don't include their own rules for how to cover it.

Psyren
2015-01-26, 02:58 AM
In another thread regarding pathfinder and 3.5 material, today, you posted:

Does this mean you believe paizo intends players to include 3.5 material? It seems like you are taking contradictory stands here but I may be misinterpreting what you're saying.

Magic items are one thing as you are converting apples to apples there. But for good or ill, psionics simply does not yet exist in 1st-party Pathfinder. Even if it did, StP Erudites are pretty far outside the paradigm of what Paizo would consider bringing over judging by what they have designed so far. Ergo I see no contradiction and stand by my statement.

(Un)Inspired
2015-01-26, 03:07 AM
Magic items are one thing as you are converting apples to apples there. But for good or ill, psionics simply does not yet exist in 1st-party Pathfinder. Even if it did, StP Erudites are pretty far outside the paradigm of what Paizo would consider bringing over judging by what they have designed so far. Ergo I see no contradiction and stand by my statement.

How do you determine what paizo intends one to use from 3.5 and what they intend one to keep out?

Milo v3
2015-01-26, 03:09 AM
How do you determine what paizo intends one to use from 3.5 and what they intend one to keep out?

Well, paizo has specifically said they will never write rules for Psionics Ever.

Psyren
2015-01-26, 03:11 AM
Well, paizo has specifically said they will never write rules for Psionics Ever.

Not only that, but "psion who can learn every arcane spell in the game and cast them without material components" would send the playerbase into open revolt.

(Un)Inspired
2015-01-26, 03:16 AM
Not only that, but "psion who can learn every arcane spell in the game and cast them without material components" would send the playerbase into open revolt.

Just because players wouldn't like it doesn't mean that it's not a part of the game.

Feint's End
2015-01-26, 05:16 AM

Well technically there exists this wizard archetype in UP which can learn powers as spells. It's like a better Erudite.

Psyren
2015-01-26, 10:24 AM
Just because players wouldn't like it doesn't mean that it's not a part of the game.

And if/when it becomes part of the game I will wholly endorse this position, but currently it is only part of those individual games that allow 3rd party product, not the game as a whole. And I say this as someone who supports DSP wholeheartedly.

The quote you referenced from me is misapplied here because PF does have magic item rules; hence by bringing in additional magic items to that existing framework you are translating apples to apples as previously stated.

Well technically there exists this wizard archetype in UP which can learn powers as spells. It's like a better Erudite.

I don't agree with this - the StP Erudite possesses considerable strengths over the psychic mage, most notably the ability to ignore costly material components when manifesting. It also loses the biggest advantage of the Erudite in that it has to prepare its "powers" in advance rather than preparing them "retroactively" like a true Erudite does (i.e. locking in only the ones it needed to use.)

Cyberonyx
2018-06-19, 08:28 AM
Depends on what level you're going for, and whether or not it can be PFS legal. IMO, here is the ultimate Kasatha build at level 6:

Vivisectionist Alchemist (2): Sneak Attack 1d6, Mutagen (+4 Dex), Feral Mutagen Discovery (three primary attacks)
Serene Savage Barbarian (3): Serenity (+4 Dex & Wis), Rage Power Beast Totem (two more primary attacks)
Unchained Monk (1): Bonus Feat, AC Bonus

Feats:
Weapon Finesse (use Dex to hit)
Power Attack
Accomplished Sneak Attacker

You have 5 natural attacks per turn, and assuming you have an initial Dex of 18 or 20, your attack bonus for each is +5+4+2+2 = +13

Each hit will deal 1d6 + 4, unless you get sneak attack, in which case each hit deals 3d6 + 4 --> up to 15d6 + 20

Your AC and CMD will also be excellent, assuming you have a decent Wis score. The Serene Barbarian archetype also gives you a +2 moral bonus on all saving throws, making your saving throws absolutely beastly (+4 to Reflex and Will overall). The only catch to this build is that you need to be getting full attacks, and hopefully your opponent isn't immune to sneak attack damage. Even so, it's a solid build.

Thoughts?