PDA

View Full Version : Computer Grey Goo

Grif
2015-01-25, 08:37 AM
I may as well start a thread here about the new RTS game by Petroglyph Studios. It's not very well marketed at present and I'd really like for the game to succeed. Currently it just launched on Steam, so you can grab a copy there.

Trailer can be found here. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiCe_OdMgDs)

What is Grey Goo?
Grey Goo is an RTS in the vein of the old RTS of the late 90s and early 00s. If you're a fan of Westwood Studios, then you're in for a treat. Petroglyph is made up of the former employees of Westwood and has released games like Empire At War (excellent game), and Universe At War (not so excellent, but fun). This is more of the same. You get three factions, the Humans (duh), Beta (Pandora-like aliums, sans World Tree shenanigans), and the Goo.

Been playing the campaign so far and it has been a blast.

Aotrs Commander
2015-01-25, 08:58 AM
I've been looking... The reviews seem good.

I'm mindful of Universe At War, though, which had a lot of potential... But was largely wasted in the single player campaign; and for me, the story campaign is usually the end-all and be-all of an RTS. (But it did have some exceptionally good music.)

It does look promising... But my concern at the moment is that there are supposedly only fifteen missions (five for each faction).

Which is pretty anemic, especially if it's a micro-management-sort of RTS designed to be played at speed. So how long are the missions? I would like to hope they are at least in the half-to-hour plus range, or it's not going to take very long to work through. If it is fairly short, since I'm not likely to play any of the skirmish or multiplayer, it might thus be a game that I should wait on until it comes on sale, if I'm only going to get a few hours out of it.

Grif
2015-01-25, 09:16 AM
I've been looking... The reviews seem good.

I'm mindful of Universe At War, though, which had a lot of potential... But was largely wasted in the single player campaign; and for me, the story campaign is usually the end-all and be-all of an RTS. (But it did have some exceptionally good music.)

It does look promising... But my concern at the moment is that there are supposedly only fifteen missions (five for each faction).

Which is pretty anemic, especially if it's a micro-management-sort of RTS designed to be played at speed. So how long are the missions? I would like to hope they are at least in the half-to-hour plus range, or it's not going to take very long to work through. If it is fairly short, since I'm not likely to play any of the skirmish or multiplayer, it might thus be a game that I should wait on until it comes on sale, if I'm only going to get a few hours out of it.

I took an average of 40 mins for each mission. So it's not too long. (They kinda throw you off the deep end almost immediately. Takes some getting used to.) I just started, so this amount may go up as they start to throw more and more difficult maps at you.

EDIT: Also, micromanagement doesn't seem as mandatory as Starcraft 2, so it got that going for them. Resource collection are automated for most part, and you can easily setup infinite queues of unit build to churn out units.

Aotrs Commander
2015-01-25, 09:21 AM
I took an average of 40 mins for each mission. So it's not too long. (They kinda throw you off the deep end almost immediately. Takes some getting used to.)

EDIT: Also, micromanagement doesn't seem as mandatory as Starcraft 2, so it got that going for them. Resource collection are automated for most part, and you can easily setup infinite queues of unit build to churn out units.

Eh, ten hours. Not too bad, I suppose, but probably still dangerously close to being able to complete in a weekend. (Even on the basis that I will tend to take my time if I have the option.)

Narkis
2015-01-25, 09:23 AM
Totalbiscuit seemed to like it. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ELug2mPc0)

Grif
2015-01-25, 09:33 AM
Eh, ten hours. Not too bad, I suppose, but probably still dangerously close to being able to complete in a weekend. (Even on the basis that I will tend to take my time if I have the option.)

I might revise that estimate upwards. The campaigns are actually a challenge to complete.

Forbiddenwar
2015-01-25, 10:55 AM
Is there anything special and fun to the humans and betas? Or are all the multiplayer games going to be goo vs goo?

Grif
2015-01-26, 03:10 AM
Is there anything special and fun to the humans and betas? Or are all the multiplayer games going to be goo vs goo?

Only played the campaign so far, so I cannot answer that. Apparently in MP, goo's considered strong because nobody learned yet how to properly counter GG's Goo equivalent of a 6-pool rush.