PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Would this theft be unfair?

Dark Kerman
2015-01-25, 08:41 AM
Hi all,

I'm currently running a campaign that's probably going to end some time soon, with the party being about to confront the main villians.

To set the scene, they have a gem on them that is used as a power source, and is needed in order to complete a world shredding ritual. The Bad Guys(TM) have tried to get it off the party a number of times by trying to bargain with them or kill them off. In response to this, the party has more or less reacted as they normally do, by getting drunk in taverns, going to bathhouse etc, though they are in a city under seige.

Now, my question is, would it be unfair if I just got the enemies to hire a really good thief to break into there rooms silence, and take it off them? Even though it's the most sensible choice, and they don't tend to set up alarms or watches or any such thing, I don't want it to feel like I have taken the item off them "Just because".

Was wondering what the playgrounds perspective on this was.

Thanks,

DK

Deophaun
2015-01-25, 08:52 AM
Perfectly fine. Those alarm and warding spells are in the game for a reason. If you like, drop some hints first. Give them the possibility to spot shady individuals watching them. Have some of the mid-end taverns refuse to let them room (the high-end ones aren't as in contact with the criminal street element, so haven't heard there's a job out on the PCs, while the seedier taverns don't have as much to break and are probably going to sell them out for some gold anyway).

I actually did this in 4e, only I had it take place during an actual attack. The attack was a distraction during which a stealthy mob rifled through their rooms. I had a second appearance of a recurring antagonist there, so not only did the encounter distract the PCs, the chance at revenge also blinded the players to what was going on.

sakuuya
2015-01-25, 10:30 AM
Maybe lead off with a thief that they do catch, to warn them about the possibility. Like, Thief A sneaks into the room but then "fails his Move Silently check" and makes enough noise that the party wakes up. Then, if they don't change their behavior, Thief B sneaks in a few nights later, and you don't intentionally bungle his stealth.

Lightlawbliss
2015-01-25, 11:25 AM
Maybe lead off with a thief that they do catch, to warn them about the possibility. Like, Thief A sneaks into the room but then "fails his Move Silently check" and makes enough noise that the party wakes up. Then, if they don't change their behavior, Thief B sneaks in a few nights later, and you don't intentionally bungle his stealth.

This could even be as simple as the BBEG is trying to save money and the novice thief is much much less expensive, but he pays for the master when the novice fails epicly.

Threadnaught
2015-01-25, 11:53 AM
The Bad Guys(TM) have tried to get it off the party a number of times by trying to bargain with them or kill them off. In response to this, the party has more or less reacted as they normally do, by getting drunk in taverns, going to bathhouse etc, though they are in a city under seige.

They'll feel you've taken it off them "just because" anyway, but that isn't really the question you're asking.

No it is not unfair to be able to steal from someone without them realizing, if they take no precautions against such theft.
A locked door is enough precaution more of the time, but the more valuable the item per pound, the more precautions need to be taken to prevent it from being stolen, otherwise it's gone and there's little anyone an do about it.

In fact, if your players bitch and whine about it being stolen from right under their noses, point out how easy they made it and remind them that the villains who wanted it are Evil.

If you absolutely must give them any kind of warning, have them encounter a pickpocket who attempts to steal the item while they're getting drunk in a tavern or otherwise vulnerable, that should be more than enough.

big teej
2015-01-25, 01:18 PM
if you roll the appropriate checks, by all means go for it.

but you know your players best, if you think they're going to cry foul and pitch a fit (ooc) then maybe you should re-think it.

if you think you'll get a collective facepalm or something, go for it.

LooseCannoneer
2015-01-25, 08:30 PM
What is the highest rank in Listen in the party?

If they don't set a watch for the party in cities, that's their fault.

black-jack
2015-01-25, 08:44 PM
You can also have it become a chase scene, where the thief gets the gem but the party sees him do it, and they have to try and catch him before he loses them or gets to his getaway car. It won't feel like you cheated the as much, and it turns it into a fun encounter that lets the PC's interact with the thief besides spot and listen checks.