PDA

View Full Version : Is there any kind of wbl?

Kerilstrasz
2015-01-25, 09:37 AM
Im currently in a campign and our DM gave us the opportunity to roll a new character at 5th lvl..
we r currently 400xp from lvl 4 and i d like to buid a character & take this opportunity..
the character would be lvl 5.. what wealth is expected to have at that point? How should i gear him?
Rest of the party will be out of lost mines of phandalin by then, and i d like (so my DM i think) to have about
the same total wealth..
so.. is there a general rule about wbl?
or
is there a set amount amount of average wealth, a character (in a group of 4) should have after completing Lost mines of phandalin, at lvl 5?

Thank you for your time :smallwink:

EvanescentHero
2015-01-25, 10:34 AM
I'm AFB at the moment, but in the treasure section of the DMG there's a list of a few different level ranges of starting wealth, including variations for if your campaign is low-magic, normal magic level, or high-magic. If your DM has the DMG, ask him to look into that table and let you know what an appropriate amount of wealth and gear would be; alternatively, ask him what he thinks would be right.

Madfellow
2015-01-25, 01:00 PM
For a 5th-level character it's 500gp, plus 1d10 x 25gp more. This would be in addition to starting wealth. (Dungeon Master's Guide, page 38)

Kryx
2015-01-25, 02:12 PM
Maths based on the radnom treasure tables: Deconstructing 5e: Typical wealth by level (http://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/2r8kci/deconstructing_5e_typical_wealth_by_level/)

Demonic Spoon
2015-01-25, 03:21 PM
For a 5th-level character it's 500gp, plus 1d10 x 25gp more. This would be in addition to starting wealth. (Dungeon Master's Guide, page 38)

This is incorrect. Those are varying guidelines for DMs to use depending on the magic level of their campaign. That's not an assumed part of the rules that a player (e.g. the OP) can just use, and that section is also not really analogous to WBL.

OP: Ask your DM how much money you start with. He'll probably just have to eyeball how much stuff the rest of the party has and guesstimate.

Ashrym
2015-01-25, 03:31 PM
OP: Ask your DM how much money you start with. He'll probably just have to eyeball how much stuff the rest of the party has and guesstimate.

Pretty much this.

The DM has an optional guideline that may or may not be used and the easiest answer is that ask what you are being provided with which to work.