PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How to Invite Friends over to play D&D?

Drakeburn
2015-01-25, 10:28 AM
I've been scratching my own head over how to get some of my friends together for a D&D night.

I've thought about writing out some invitations that look like parchment paper, but I'm lost with words on what to write.
The only thing I have that I can think of is "Refreshments Provided".

Anybody have any ideas on how I can do this?

[BTW, a lot of my friends never played D&D before]

johnbragg
2015-01-25, 11:28 AM
If the invitation is how you're telling them that you want them to join you for D&D, then I don't think it's the right approach. People who aren't interested, or who aren't sure about playing D&D, aren't going to be convinced by a faux-medieval invitation, or if they are, they probably would have responded just as well to a verbal invitation to come to your place and play a game.

I"d first talk up the game in general, what it is, why it's fun, that you want to run a game with them, what you think they'd enjoy.

If you've already mostly convinced people, and the invitation is just about time, place, duration, and snacks-provided/snacks-to-bring, then dorking it up could add a neat flavor.

The text would be a little bit campaign specific.

"By Order of His Majesty Corwin IV,
King of Penntuckia and Protector of the Seven Cities
Adventurers Daring and Bold are Invited and Enjoined
to gather in Norrensburg in the hall of the Warden of the Northmark
That the lands might be cleared of Bandits, Monsters and Divers Beasts
And the goodfolk of the kingdom enjoy peace and prosperity."

Then in small type the actual real world information.

Thrawn4
2015-01-25, 12:14 PM
+1
Convince them first.

Xerlith
2015-01-25, 07:13 PM
I found that "Hey, guys, wanna play D&D next weekend?" works like a charm.

HunterOfJello
2015-01-25, 11:01 PM
Talk to them each one on one and build a character with each of them. Remember to make them make all the actual decisions and do all of the writing on the character sheets. Once enough people are in and are scheduled, have a meet up session for everyone to get to know one another, get a handle on the ideas around the game, and do a very basic start to things (nothing heavy).

A Dark and Stormy Knight is my preferred intro for anyone new to the game.

NikitaDarkstar
2015-01-25, 11:21 PM
"Hey, you guys want to play some D&D?" Then tell them what it is and that you'll help them get the hang of the mechanical bits.

The Grue
2015-01-25, 11:39 PM

This. OP is way overthinking.

Knaight
2015-01-26, 12:22 AM
I'd generally just shoot off a text message. Alternately, I'd bring it up at some other event (e.g. boardgames) I'm hosting.

Vitruviansquid
2015-01-26, 01:21 AM
I think NikitaDarkstar has the right idea. A casual, "ey yo, you want to try out DnD?" is a good idea. This will inevitably be followed by something like "Is DnD like a video game or something?" or "Isn't DnD something only nerds do?" or anything else that is both ignorant and dismissive. So you should probably have a kind of nutshell explanation of what DnD even is.

Now, as for the other advice you didn't ask for, but I would think are important in this situation...

- Be exclusive. Most RPG's, and DnD in particular (and DnD 4e in particular, within DnD), have a narrow sweet spot for the number of players that can play. Over-recruitment as much as under-recruitment can break your game, as you'd feel bad about kicking players but be unable to run a fun game with everyone playing. You also want to dodge the bullet of a player that hates the game, but feels obligated to join for whatever reason. These guys will kill the mood and disrupt your game and sabotage you whether they think they want to or not, and should actually be ruthlessly excluded. They'll end up quitting your campaign anyways.

- Don't actually start with DnD. DnD might be the most iconic RPG, but it's also one of the most hardcore. There are plenty of systems out there that are a lot better for easing players into RPG's without at once overwhelming them with options, terms, math, and junk. If you absolutely must play DnD, start them on the babby's first version of whatever edition - core books only, no homebrew, and don't give the players any complicated challenges that actually require a lot of insider knowledge about DnD tropes or the obscure implications of rules. And don't even let people know about the legions of expansion books.

- RPG's aren't for everyone, and you should let the people who discover it isn't for them leave. In fact, give them a small push if you have to. Players who aren't having fun are ultimately cancerous for any gaming group.

Mastikator
2015-01-26, 02:01 AM

If this doesn't work then nothing will.

Well, maybe holding them at gunpoint, but besides that...

Synar
2015-01-26, 02:58 PM
There's a lot of assumptions made in this thread, and not a lot of parameters provided.
So this may sound dumb, but, well, do you friends know what D&D is? Are they regular players? Did you ever game with them? Do you play other RPG/wargames/boardgames with them?
Because trying to introduce someone who never heard the word RPG outside of videogame context to D&D and researching ideas to invite your friends to your new campaign in a somewhat theatrical manner are very, very different things.

Barstro
2015-01-26, 03:13 PM
This. OP is way overthinking.

It isn't so much that OP is overthinking it, as it is that there is almost no situation where OP's ideas would matter. If the friends do not already play D&D and want to play again/more, then this is too much and simply asking is the correct first step. If this is going to be the typical time consuming, block off every other Saturday for the next two years kind of thing, then invitations are less important than conference calls and spreadsheets.

The only way that I think burnt rolled up parchment would be appropriate is if OP already had about four people ready to do a 48 hour marathon and he was trying to get another 4-8 people involved with two other DMs to have cross games going with split parties and an epic 120 minute battle at the end. If THAT is the case, then I can give you a list of names to include.

EDIT: I see in the post that many people have not played D&D before. I submit that it is too hard to try to convince a bunch of noobs to play. If you do get them to play, things need to be simplified so that the game can move along and people remain interested. Must of us here can sit down for a few hours and pore through all the rules to plan a concept and argue over effects of being flat-footed, but that will bore most normal people and confuse even the best of nerds at first.

If you want to ease people into it, buy Munchkin and spend a few hours doing that. Then you might be able to parlay that into D&D.

Drakeburn
2015-01-26, 09:09 PM
Well, for the game I've actually had more things thought out than what I posted.

- The plan was to have some ready made character sheets out for the "newbies" to pick from.

-I'm planning on running a one-shot game on the first night, or the first few nights to give the players a chance to learn the system, get the hang of things, and to see who likes it or who doesn't.

-The system I have in mind is D&D 4th Edition. Some of you might love it, some of you might hate it. But if there is one thing you should know, two things gotten me into D&D. 1) The Order of the Stick webcomic. 2) Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition. It may not be as good as Pathfinder, but it is a good first stepping stone into tabletop roleplaying games. (although I can understand that is up for debate)

- My friends have heard about Dungeons and Dragons from me, but never really played it before. We've spent time together before playing games though. So I figured inviting them over for a game night "like back in the good ol' days".

Barstro
2015-01-26, 09:39 PM
All that being the case, asking them and sending parchment would work well.

ScrivenerofDoom
2015-01-27, 05:51 AM
(snip) - The plan was to have some ready made character sheets out for the "newbies" to pick from. (snip)

Definitely this. And, if possible, minis that capture the character, more or less.

I've also found it helpful to prep a bit of background info about the PCs to give the new players a sense of who the characters are. Sure, some DMs think that is terrible because that's the player's job but I have it works really well. (Oh, and then make sure it comes up in the first session.)

The great thing about 4E is that the character theme and background choices mean that most of the work is done for you.

(snip) -I'm planning on running a one-shot game on the first night, or the first few nights to give the players a chance to learn the system, get the hang of things, and to see who likes it or who doesn't. (snip)

Great idea. And, if at all possible, give them a definite goal to achieve in the first session and move heaven and earth to see that they achieve it. Positive reinforcement is not only for puppies. :)

(snip) -The system I have in mind is D&D 4th Edition. Some of you might love it, some of you might hate it. But if there is one thing you should know, two things gotten me into D&D. 1) The Order of the Stick webcomic. 2) Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition. It may not be as good as Pathfinder, but it is a good first stepping stone into tabletop roleplaying games. (although I can understand that is up for debate) (snip)

I think 4E is a good choice, and not just because I am biased as it is my favourite edition from the 34+ years I have been playing.

The character builder is great for printing out professional-looking character sheets that immediately convey the message, "Hey, your PC is important."

New 4E PCs are also much less likely to die in the first session than PF PCs. (Old school DMs will probably see this as a negative.)

And, best of all, the other thing the players really need beside their character sheet is a list of conditions.

- My friends have heard about Dungeons and Dragons from me, but never really played it before. We've spent time together before playing games though. So I figured inviting them over for a game night "like back in the good ol' days".

You know your friends best. Be the amateur psychologist and work out what makes each of them tick, and also what makes them tick as a group. And then make sure your initial adventure presses those buttons. DMing also involves manipulation so don't be ashamed of it. :)

Lord Torath
2015-01-27, 02:32 PM
I'd also recommend coming up with a list of Metarules regarding how you will play the game:

The following behaviors will not be tolerated in game, and violators will be severely choofed: eating babies, back- (or front) stabbing your friends, and talking in the theater.
Phones will be put in a basket in the center of the table, and the first person to grab their phone (unless the session is over) will buy pizza for the next session.
Dice not bouncing off of 3 walls and landing in the dice box must be re-rolled.
The game starts promptly at 18:32:37.

A more realistic list can be found here (http://home.earthlink.net/~duanevp/dnd/manifesto.htm) (courtesy of The Man in the Funny Hat).

This gets everyone on the same page as far as player and character behavior during the session, how rules disputes will be handled, and other "common sense" rules.

Elvenoutrider
2015-01-27, 04:38 PM
Oh god do not send an ornate invitation to someone who is not expecting it. Depending on who is around them his could be embarrassing for them. Keep in mind this game still has an image, reputation and unfortunate stigma attached to it for a lot of people.

Echobeats
2015-01-27, 05:38 PM
Definitely this. And, if possible, minis that capture the character, more or less.

On that point: http://www.iheartprintandplay.com/download/#pcs

Drakeburn
2015-01-30, 06:41 PM
Oh god do not send an ornate invitation to someone who is not expecting it. Depending on who is around them his could be embarrassing for them. Keep in mind this game still has an image, reputation and unfortunate stigma attached to it for a lot of people.

I wasn't planning on actually saying they're invited to play Dungeons and Dragons. I've been thinking about making it a surprise for the players, saying that they're invited to a game night.

I'm well aware that if I do this, there is a fair chance that they might walk out the moment they realize what the game is. That is the reason why I plan on bringing refreshments, but I have a feeling that it wouldn't be enough.

Xerlith
2015-01-30, 06:44 PM
Why? Why are you using such a roundabout way of doing that? If they're not interested, why somehow trick them into coming? Just... Play it straight, really. It'll be better in the long run.

Milo v3
2015-01-30, 06:49 PM
I wasn't planning on actually saying they're invited to play Dungeons and Dragons. I've been thinking about making it a surprise for the players, saying that they're invited to a game night.

What would be the benefit of this?

Bob of Mage
2015-01-30, 09:31 PM

I'm well aware that if I do this, there is a fair chance that they might walk out the moment they realize what the game is. That is the reason why I plan on bringing refreshments, but I have a feeling that it wouldn't be enough.

If you think there's a chance they won't bite at least have a plan B. Just because they won't try D&D doesn't mean you can't still have fun. If they seem unsure at first have a quick game of two of something else first to get everyone in a good mood. Since they would now be in a much better mood it might be easier to try again and they might be more willing to at least humour you since they know there's other options if it's doesn't work out. In other words the worse case is they said no and you had fun doing something else with a bunch of friends. If there is no plan B it could ruining the night for all parties.

You should never outright trick or force someone to play D&D. Like selling your soul to a devil, it must be done willingly.

Vitruviansquid
2015-01-30, 09:52 PM
You should never outright trick or force someone to play D&D. Like selling your soul to a devil, it must be done willingly.

This is very good advice.

You should never ever let someone who doesn't actually want to play DnD into your DnD games.

Drakeburn
2015-01-31, 12:17 AM
Well, I can see your point in this.

I've heard about surprise D&D games before, but you guys made me realize that might not be the best idea.

So how should I word it then?

Milo v3
2015-01-31, 12:18 AM

I've heard about surprise D&D games before, but you guys made me realize that might not be the best idea.

Is there any reason why you can't just ask them normally, then answer any questions they have about the game?

Xerlith
2015-01-31, 05:11 AM

Well, a good starting point is what I said above:

To elaborate, i'd try something in the spirit of: "Hey, I'm looking for people to play D&D with. Want to try it out? It's not hard and I'll explain the rules along the way. How about next weekend, if you're interested?".

Also, try to look for something from fantasy they each like and put it into the description of the game. Most of the time - gets the people interested.

Someone likes Firefly? Well, "In Eberron you can have a gorramn FLYING SHIP and be a sky pirate/war stuff salvager/xyz".
Someone likes dragons? "It's CALLED dungeons and DRAGONS, there are lots of them, and they can eat you and trample on everything you love and hold dear. And you can play one" then proceed to roll up a Dragonborn Dragonfire Adept for them (I did that once).
etc etc.