PDA

View Full Version : Scent and concealment

Shnigda
2015-01-25, 12:01 PM
Hey everyone, have a question again about scent and concealment interactions!
I am going to be fighting a wererat soon and i have a Mithralmist shirt allowing me to become concealed when right next to him.
However, because lycanthropes have Scent, does this mean that I cannot deal sneak attack damage to him even though i am concealed?
EDIT: Does the lycanthrope automatically bypass any concealment within 5ft?
Also as a side-note, does ECL affect your BAB or is BAB only based upon actual level?

Crake
2015-01-25, 12:16 PM
Hey everyone, have a question again about scent and concealment interactions!
I am going to be fighting a wererat soon and i have a Mithralmist shirt allowing me to become concealed when right next to him.
However, because lycanthropes have Scent, does this mean that I cannot deal sneak attack damage to him even though i am concealed?

note that it grants the wearer concealment, but that doesn't actually stop someone from being observed (as it isn't total concealment), meaning you cannot hide in this mist unless you have hide in plain sight. If you had some means to hide in this mist, then yes, you could. Scent simply lets you be aware that there are creatures in 30 feet of you, it doesn't reveal their location.

Curmudgeon
2015-01-25, 12:17 PM
You'll only be able to add sneak attack damage if you find a way to deny the WereRat his DEX to AC. The WereRat will both see you and smell you: 20% miss chance for sighted attacks due to your concealment, and 50% miss chance for unsighted attacks because he'll have pinpointed your square via Scent. Concealment is one of the requirements to be able to use the Hide skill and potentially deny your opponent their DEX to AC, but it's not the only one. You also have to not be observed, and have line of sight to the creature(s) you're trying to Hide from. And, of course, your Hide has to beat their Spot check.

Shnigda
2015-01-25, 01:23 PM
Thanks, but if I can find a way to become hidden using enchants or spells or whatever, then I'm still a bit curious as to what that means when within 5ft and interacting with Scent

Deophaun
2015-01-25, 01:30 PM
If you're within 5ft of a creature with scent, and it has no other way to spot you, then all it means is that it knows what square you're in. It is free to attack that square and, in doing so, hopefully hit you. But it's still going to be at a significant disadvantage unless it also has the Blind Fight feat.

Shnigda
2015-01-25, 01:45 PM
That clears things up, thanks!