PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Making DR. CId from FF Xll

Jackofalltrades
2015-01-25, 12:32 PM
Okay. so my brother is planning to play a LV1/Lv2 Human Artificer with flaws in a campaign if his current character dies. he decided to go with some thing crazy and is designing his build after Dr. Cid from FF Xll. so far he's got that the character is going to be a Artificer (that's basically as far as he's got) he's main weapon is going to be Rifles or boomsticks. motivation is to make items that mimic magic. staying that technology is superior to natural magic (he's so going to get beat up by a druid):smallbiggrin:. help with feats/weapons/class progression would really help.

Note: my brother wants to keep him as close as possible as Dr Cid. all books are allowed except pisonics. (only General feats might be allowed from those books.)

thethird
2015-01-25, 12:54 PM
You mean to say that only general feats are allowed? Or only general feats are allowed from psionic books? Do you mean to say that psionic feats/classes are not allowed?

Jackofalltrades
2015-01-25, 02:07 PM
You mean to say that only general feats are allowed? Or only general feats are allowed from psionic books? Do you mean to say that psionic feats/classes are not allowed?

yeah, i should have explain that better. were allowed to use general feats from psionic books. Like Stand still, reckless charge. etc. but not feats that have anything to do with psionics classes or races. (so all psionic races/classes/feats are banned except feats in the book that don't need psionics to use). I can't remember if it's because the DM hasn't ever played with psionics or he has and he finds it difficult to remember the rules for them. but yeah, all the players don't mind. most of us have have only used the core books and half of the supplement books and the DM has just introduced ToB.

thethird
2015-01-25, 02:20 PM
Cool, then psionic artificer is clearly out.

The thing about Dr Cid is that he isn't a fighter. I would build him as a straight crafter (which can get insane) but it is not apparently powerful in itself. You/he might want a blastificer though, here (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2829.0) this has more than I can probably sumarize. Consider jumping to the end, where it describes the archetypes, blastificer is there with some good advice.

Jackofalltrades
2015-01-25, 03:54 PM
Cool, then psionic artificer is clearly out.

The thing about Dr Cid is that he isn't a fighter. I would build him as a straight crafter (which can get insane) but it is not apparently powerful in itself. You/he might want a blastificer though, here (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2829.0) this has more than I can probably sumarize. Consider jumping to the end, where it describes the archetypes, blastificer is there with some good advice.

Cool!! blastificer is very close to what he wants, he might have to tinker with though, he wants to be a tech craftier who can pull out Rifle/pistol/BoomStick/Gatling Gun/whatever and laughs as the Bad guys dive for cover while thinking that he's crazy. (not really but you get the point):smallbiggrin: so yeah Chaotic Good/neutral Artificer who carries an arsenal of infusion magic guns and can craft weapons/armor/Airships/ etc. now i kinda want to play it.:smallsmile: oh well.

edit: Does anyone know that statistics for a boomstick? do they even exist? are DM suggested them. my brother couldn't find any thing about online. are they in a book?

DMVerdandi
2015-02-12, 02:41 AM
Cool!! blastificer is very close to what he wants, he might have to tinker with though, he wants to be a tech craftier who can pull out Rifle/pistol/BoomStick/Gatling Gun/whatever and laughs as the Bad guys dive for cover while thinking that he's crazy. (not really but you get the point):smallbiggrin: so yeah Chaotic Good/neutral Artificer who carries an arsenal of infusion magic guns and can craft weapons/armor/Airships/ etc. now i kinda want to play it.:smallsmile: oh well.

edit: Does anyone know that statistics for a boomstick? do they even exist? are DM suggested them. my brother couldn't find any thing about online. are they in a book?

A shotgun? Or like a blunderbuss or something?
The DMG has gun rules.
Use the modern ones. They seem "powerful" but they just are for the first part of the game. Guns don't really scale that well. You can't use power attack, or any of those things to boost damage. When you think about it, an eldritch blast catches up to them pretty quickly.

They are better than most of the weapons in the dmg. But if they are just TOO good, Halve the damage or drop the die. Easy fix.
And with artificer, you can enchant the magazines with infusions, thus becoming a "magic gunner".