PDA

View Full Version : All-day buff spells

Shnigda
2015-01-25, 02:07 PM
Hey guys, what are some spells that can be used in a wand (Normal or Eternal) which provide 24hour (or perhaps shorter if they are good) buffs?
Anything that could provide intiative bonuses, stat bonuses, save bonuses etc would be great!
I am part of a level 4 party, so something that would be available at the moment would be good!

AngelOfFaith
2015-01-25, 03:33 PM
Are you sure you want to use wands for that? As you know wand use the level of the spell caster who made them. By default the level of the caster of the spell in a wand is the minimal required to be able to cast that spell(a Wand of Fireball is usually of caster level 5). So at your level the level of the spells put into a wand that you can cast without Use Magic Device checks would be of level 2... And that means that they are probably made to be of caster level 3. There are a lot of buffs at that level - Bull's Strength, Fox's Cunning etc., but their duration is 1 min/level... meaning 3 minutes if cast from the wand... There aren't many spells at this level that will last you a day independent of the caster level. Nystul’s Magic Aura lasts a day/level... I can't think of others - most are 1 min/level or 1 hour/ level.
Now if you use staves you can cast spells from them at your caster level. Which isn't that much higher but still.
You can buy both wands and scrolls at a higher caster level, but it'll cost ya.

That said there are still good wands to buy, but I don't know if they are of buffs necessary.

MilesTiden
2015-01-25, 03:47 PM
This thread (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=8771) has served me very well for this purpose. Take a look there, see if anything fits. For things that aren't on there, I remember the 'Primal' spells from... I think Dragon Magic? Are pretty good. I forget though.

Susano-wo
2015-01-25, 04:01 PM
endure elements (http://http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/endureElements.htm) is 24hr duration, but its more flavor than buff, unless you are in pretty hot or cold environs

Khedrac
2015-01-26, 08:13 AM
iirc then Anticipate Teleport is also a 24-hour buff spell. If the party likes using teleports it's terrible, if they don't it can really mess up foes who do.

Chronos
2015-01-26, 09:52 AM
Quoth AngelOfFaith:

So at your level the level of the spells put into a wand that you can cast without Use Magic Device checks would be of level 2
The level of a spell makes no difference whatsoever on how easy it is to use a wand. If it's on your class spell list (even if you personally can't cast spells, like a first-level ranger or paladin), you can use the wand consistently. If it's not on your spell list, it's a flat DC 20 UMD check. The only restriction on a low-level character using a high-level wand is that they're expensive.

To the OP, the two most useful eternal wands are Extended Rope Trick, and Explosive Runes. The former lets you have a safe place to rest for up to ten hours, twice a day, every day, while the latter lets you accumulate an unlimited number of Explosive Runes castings on a book or something, which you then arrange to set off all at once.

ILM
2015-01-26, 11:30 AM
If magic item availability and creation aren't an issue in your campaign, I find that staves are a better solution for high-level characters. As Eternal Wands and House Insignas (DotU) more or less follow the magic item creation rules as listed (in terms of pricing an item with charges per day), it is not unreasonable to apply the same to staffs, which don't suffer from the level restrictions of wands.

In addition, staffs allow you to use your own stats to cast the spells if it's more advantageous, and lets you stack multiple spells with diminishing costs (75% for the second highest-level, and 50% for all others). This, coupled with a Spellblade enchantment (PGtF), allows for extremely cost-efficient buffs for melee types, though it does require investing in UMD.