View Full Version : Stop breaking my neck! [Monster, PEACH]

KazilDarkeye
2007-04-03, 04:59 PM
Bonecrusher
Huge Monstrous Humanoid (Reptilian)
HD: 15d8+120 (187 hp)
Initiative: -2
Speed: 30 ft
AC: 21 (-2 Dex, -2 Size, +15 Natural Armour)
Touch 6, Flat-Footed 21
Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+37
Attack: Slam+23 melee (2d6+10)
Full Attack: Slam+23 melee (2d6+10)
Space/Reach: 10ft/10ft
Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Snap Neck, Stunning Fist
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft, SR 25, DR 15/Adamantine, Unsteady
Saves: Fort+17, Ref+3, Will+5
Abilities: Str 30, Dex 6, Con 26, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 6
Skills: Balance+19, Intimidate+6, Listen+6, Spot+7
Feats: Improved GrappleB, Improved Natural Attack (Slam), Improved Unarmed Strike,
Skill Focus (Balance), Skill Focus (Intimidate), Stunning FistB
Environment: Underground
Organisation: Solitary
CR:
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic evil

Before you stands a behemoth of a creature standing a full 20ft tall, although it is standing on the balls of its feet. Its scaly hide looks as thick as a brick wall and is a sickly green hue. Its limbs and tail are as thick as tree-trunks and are possibly 10ft long. The creatures head looks like a gigantic squid was resting up there, with 4 tentacles surrounding its mouth. It lets out a mighty roar then charges forward.
Bonecrushers (also known as illithisaurs or under-reptiles) are titanic creatures made by the magic of the illithids as mighty bodyguards that they would not be tempted into ceremorphing. This connection is often guessed at after seeing the beast’s mouthparts.
As created creatures, any who are smart enough to worship a god revere Illsenine, creator of the illithids (in addition to their masters of course).
The process in which bonecrushers are made is a closely kept secret, but there are rumours of giants whose great brains are removed having large amounts of tadpoles stuffed into their heads for ceremorphosis. Naturally these are wrong assumptions, but this satisfies all but the most foolish and pedant sages.
Bonecrushers understand, but do not speak, Undercommon

COMBAT

Bonecrushers charge (or more accurately, lumber forward as fast as they can) into the first sign of combat, hoping to grab someone, hold them helpless, and break their neck in 2 like a dried twig. They don’t hold back, relying on their tick skin to ward off damage.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability the bonecrusher must hit an opponent with its slam attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking on attack of opportunity. If it wins the check it can establish a hold and try to snap the opponent’s neck.
Snap Neck (Ex): If a bonecrusher has managed to hold its opponent for 3 turns it can as a free action attempt to snap the foes’ neck. The target can make a Reflex save to avoid this fate, but otherwise they die immediately. This has no effect on non-living enemies (elemental, oozes, plants, outsiders or undead) or on creatures with no discernable neck (some aberrations). It is not instantly fatal to creatures with regeneration or more than one head.
Unsteady (Ex): If an opponent successfully hits with a critical hit that deals damage then the bonecrusher needs to make a Balance check at DC 25 avoid falling prone for 3 rounds

CR? Comments?

Ever Phasm
2007-04-03, 05:38 PM
Interesting Monster! I would say CR 9-12. Probably 11. I like the neck snap ability.

Mialee has been grabbed by the beasts huge tentacles, what do you do!

KazilDarkeye
2007-04-03, 07:01 PM
Whoops! I intended the tentacles to be there for heretage reasons. I also intended Neck Snap to be with the huge arms. Oh well...

KazilDarkeye
2007-04-08, 06:20 AM
Wow, nobody is interested? I would have thought this would be a BIT more popular. Maybe it's because of all those other bone-related monsters.

Bone Ooze
Boneyard

Those guys suck. Oh well check out my next creation when it's ready for OH GODS! IT ESCAPED! <suck, slurp, dead>.

Rift_Wolf
2007-04-08, 06:44 AM
DR15/Adamantine? That's one hell of a lot! Like the idea of this thing grabbing someone and busting their necks, however unsteady seems a bit ridiculous. Maybe it needs to walk on all fours, so if it's grappling (or attacking with both limbs in a full attack) it must take Balance checks? I just get the image of seeing a pit full of these things falling over without provocation, and it doesn't fill me with the dread the neck-snapping would normally do.
Perhaps a better name? Illithisaur? Under-Reptile?

KazilDarkeye
2007-04-08, 01:32 PM
I understand the naming concern, but this is my 2nd in a series of "body-themed" monsters (the other being my flesh-feeder). Your point about unsteady is valid though. Also that's the same DR an iron golem gets.

Matthew
2007-04-11, 06:21 PM
Why are you using a -8 Modifier to Armour Class for size? Surely Huge only means a -2 Modifier? Touch Armour Class should be 6.

Also, your Average Hit Points appear to be off. The average of 15D8 is 67.5, rounded down is 67. Average hit points are therefore 187.

I would think around CR 14-16 for this sort of critter

KazilDarkeye
2007-04-18, 06:31 AM
Well, it is my 2nd official homebrew - there are bound to be SOME mistakes. I got an approximation of the HP from a snow weird (next time I'll get something a bit more similar)

Edited

XtheYeti
2007-04-18, 07:05 AM
awesome sauce monster, its on par with some of the creations of VT, and he has become like a demigod of monster creation

Matthew
2007-04-18, 11:23 PM
Well, it is my 2nd official homebrew - there are bound to be SOME mistakes. I got an approximation of the HP from a snow weird (next time I'll get something a bit more similar)

Edited
I am not coming down on you, I'm just trying to be helpful. Hit Dice are calculated at 4.5 HP per Hit Die, rounded down, as far as I am aware.

Demented
2007-04-19, 12:24 AM
For d8 hit dice, that is. Do that with d12 hit dice and you shall be thoroughly smited. By a Bone-Crusher!
/nitpick

Angafirith
2007-04-19, 12:45 AM
To figure out an average roll on a single die, add the lowest possible roll to the highest possible roll and divide by two:

1d2: (1+2)/2 = 1.5
1d3: (1+3)/2 = 2
1d4: (1+4)/2 = 2.5
1d6: (1+6)/2 = 3.5
1d8: (1+8)/2 = 4.5
1d10: (1+10)/2 = 5.5
1d12: (1+12)/2 = 6.5
1d20: (1+20)/2 = 10.5

Make sure not to round down until the end. 2d10 has an average of 11, not 10.

An easier way to remember it might be to half it and then add .5 to that.

KazilDarkeye
2007-04-19, 07:25 AM
awesome sauce monster, its on par with some of the creations of VT, and he has become like a demigod of monster creation

Yeah, the VT rules as the king in THIS forum. Woot!

Matthew
2007-04-19, 04:48 PM
For d8 hit dice, that is. Do that with d12 hit dice and you shall be thoroughly smited. By a Bone-Crusher!
/nitpick
Whoops, yeah, 4.5 in this case, I meant...

Indon
2007-04-19, 08:12 PM
Monstrous Humanoids without intelligence, very nice. Also, generally if something is Huge, isn't it a Giant instead of a humanoid? (Though I guess there are some Huge monstrous humanoids; aren't ogres Huge?)

But, the question is, if you throw it off the Empire State and it lands on its' head, will it, or will it not, do a funky dance?

Baron Corm
2007-04-19, 08:24 PM
i don't understand why these monsters can break necks and other beings can't.

KazilDarkeye
2007-04-20, 07:34 AM
Well, maybe it's in, like, the 10 Commandments? You know:

11) Thou shalt not break peoples' necks

Demented
2007-04-20, 12:44 PM
It's because D&D characters don't HAVE necks. Haven't you read OOTS? Their heads just sit on their shoulders. :smalltongue:

Danu
2007-04-21, 06:56 PM
These creatures would be incapable of worshipping, and they would be further incapable of understanding orders without an Intelligence score. Int - = mindless.

Not to say that the illithids couldn't order the creatures about. After all, it's on par with any type of golem or undead. They likely have their methods. But if the creature has no orders, then it does everything instinctively... like an ooze would.

I'd suggest you either give it a Int of 3, or give it the Mindless trait.

KazilDarkeye
2007-04-22, 05:31 AM
It's really just a bit of flavour - probably the closest they come to worshipping is being ordered to sacrifice something to Illsenine with the mind flayers making a speech or something.

KazilDarkeye
2007-04-29, 02:03 PM
O.K my 3rd creation is finished - check it out on "Stop impaling my organs!"