PDA

View Full Version : the cost of information

BootStrapTommy
2015-01-25, 07:24 PM
If players on a lawful good plane possessed knowledge of the locations of all camps of a demonic army that is invading, how much money would a party get for that information?

Surpriser
2015-01-26, 06:35 AM
That depends on a lot of factors, including but not limited to:

- The alignment of the PCs
- The level of the PCs
- The strength of the respective armies
- The goals and strategies of the armies
- Whether the PCs are trusted/working with any side
- The circumstances of getting / selling this information
- Who they are talking to (and whether they could get the info from somewhere else)

As a rule of thumb, think about the type of task/encounters/adventure the PCs had to do to get the information and set the price as an appropriate treasure for this task (minus the loot they already found while doing this).

Vitruviansquid
2015-01-26, 06:56 AM
However much money the DM feels like letting them have.

hymer
2015-01-26, 07:10 AM
If players on a lawful good plane possessed knowledge of the locations of all camps of a demonic army that is invading, how much money would a party get for that information?

I wonder who's asking. As advice to a player, I'd just hand over the information and care less about what reward I might get. The people needing the info are not likely to forget me.

(Un)Inspired
2015-01-26, 11:45 AM
I'll pay ye fer the deets on that accursed army o' Choas that be marching through me plane.

All an old sea dog such as I have to offer are these 35 cursed Hyborian Nickles though.

Cazero
2015-01-26, 12:04 PM
As soon as you try to bargain, the lawful good army accuse you of conspiracy with the lower planes and demands that you speak up. Not complying results in death sentence.
We're talking about military intelligence in a war for the greater good here, that's the kind of big thing for with an LG character can kill without remorse.

(Un)Inspired
2015-01-26, 12:16 PM
As soon as you try to bargain, the lawful good army accuse you of conspiracy with the lower planes and demands that you speak up. Not complying results in death sentence.
We're talking about military intelligence in a war for the greater good here, that's the kind of big thing for with an LG character can kill without remorse.

Do they kill me for offering my cursed Nickles as payment?

Lord Torath
2015-01-26, 12:24 PM
Do they kill me for offering my cursed Nickles as payment?The Lawful Good Powers? Maybe. The PCs? Almost certainly! :belkar:

(Un)Inspired
2015-01-26, 12:32 PM
The Lawful Good Powers? Maybe. The PCs? Almost certainly! :belkar:

Yarrrrrr! The Cursed Hyborean Nickles' curse continues.

Red Fel
2015-01-26, 01:11 PM

It depends on how sadistic the GM feels. I'm not always a sadistic GM, but in this case? I'd say none. This is a war zone, chief. Middle of an invasion.

If the PCs are Good, the locals will want to know why they aren't they giving it away for free. (Expect "aren't we on the same side?" to come up a lot.)

If they're Neutral, they're suspicious. Wandering into a warzone and offering to sell information? Where are their allegiances? I might see them locked up until they could be cleared of suspicion.

If they're Evil, there must be at least one local who can detect that. Evil PCs on an LG plane besieged by CE forces? That's practically kill-on-sight protocol, right there.

Generally speaking, appearing out of nowhere and claiming to be an information broker in the middle of a war is a great way of getting yourself arrested, interrogated, and possibly executed. In a setting where things like alignment are cosmic realities and readily discernible? The PCs are pretty much begging for it.

dps
2015-01-27, 11:17 PM
Generally speaking, appearing out of nowhere and claiming to be an information broker in the middle of a war is a great way of getting yourself arrested, interrogated, and possibly executed. In a setting where things like alignment are cosmic realities and readily discernible? The PCs are pretty much begging for it.

Yeah, if the PCs want to try something like this, they should send a message or courier to the locals, with instructions to meet them on some other plane if they're interested in buying.

JusticeZero
2015-01-28, 01:15 PM
Not always; I mean, even Good people need to pay expenses for their good deeds.
In any case, it would probably be paid in Wishes, with the RAW limits and no attempt to twist.