PDA

View Full Version : new character help please

kpumphre
2015-01-25, 10:52 PM
We are 3level and I was playing DFA my Dm asked me to change classes as it was a bit unbalanced and he was having a hard time countering My breath weapon. So I need some help coming up with a new character.

We have a fighter half orc who is an archer. A dwarf Barbarian, a human cleric not focused on healing think he going is going to be more melee, a beguiler, and a spike chain fighter.

So any suggestions for class and concept would be appreciated. Race wise we are in a racist country non humans looked down on and can be run out of town.

So far I have warfordged druid

Rogue who pretends to be a monk.

AngelOfFaith
2015-01-25, 11:15 PM
Do you have any ideas as to what style of character you'd like to play?
Are there any other restrictions beside no fire breath and facing racism?
How high up the tier list can you go?

kpumphre
2015-01-25, 11:28 PM
Well we have 2 fighters and a cleric. So pretty varied tier wise. Cleric guy is about to shine with luminous armor and using his dmm for boosts. Only books/mags written by wizards.

Not sure what I want to do, normally I play scouts and warlocks. We all ready have an archer, and I would prefer to not step on his toes.

I'm not looking for cheese or min max. I am looking for a fun concept to play. If the character can do a few things I'll be happy.

Karl Aegis
2015-01-25, 11:44 PM
How much weaker than 2-12 damage a turn do you need to be? Not much can actually be worse than 2-12 damage. Has your DM been rolling his reflex save to halve this damage? For reference anyone with 14 Strength will be dealing 5-15 damage with a greatsword and has the possibility to threaten to deal double that damage 10% of the time.

kpumphre
2015-01-26, 12:00 AM
How much weaker than 2-12 damage a turn do you need to be? Not much can actually be worse than 2-12 damage. Has your DM been rolling his reflex save to halve this damage? For reference anyone with 14 Strength will be dealing 5-15 damage with a greatsword and has the possibility to threaten to deal double that damage 10% of the time.

It's about the massive debuff even when.they save I do.

Karl Aegis
2015-01-26, 01:24 AM
It's about the massive debuff even when.they save I do.

A -2 penalty on all attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks is powerful? I think the bar may be set too low on this one, but I'll do my best to give you something weaker.

Samurai from Complete Warrior can do the same thing but without the -2 to weapon damage rolls via the Intimidate skill from the shaken condition. But, he doesn't do anything special that anyone else can't do before he hits level 10, which is when he can use Intimidate on everyone within 30 feet instead of attacking. But, since you're only 3rd level, you'll be hitting guys with a halberd or a glaive most of the time and can add your Charisma bonus to your attack and damage rolls for 1 attack once a day. You have only one other class feature of note: You get Improved Initiative as a bonus feat at level 8. Everything else the class gives just makes you look goofy.

A Killoren (Races of the Wild) Divine Mind with the Natural World Mantle can emit an aura that heals itself at a rate of 1 hit point per hour. Any Construct with the Creation Mantle can do the same thing. They get a bump in effectiveness at level 5, but they don't really get any good class features or skills. There is an alternate class feature found online at: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a that lets them summon a Giant Frog (with a Craft(sculpting) check, otherwise you summon something generic). Be careful with Giant Frog summoning, though. If you use too many uses of Giant Frog summoning on a single summoning of a Giant Frog you could summon a Giant Frog more powerful than the rest of your party (except your cleric). Luckily, at level 3 you only have one use of Giant Frog summoning that summons a level 2 Giant Frog.

For something different, we have a Vow of Poverty Monk. They are awful. They were fluffed as a ninja who gave up all their stuff (Ninja need stuff, by the way) so they could beat people with farm implements. Farm implements generally aren't good things to beat people with. All their class features can be gotten earlier than the monk gets them and you can just get stuff (which you can't get if you have Vow of Poverty) that replaces all the Monk class features.

For the most awful of classes, we have the Truenamer from the Tome of Magic. They do nothing unless you use serious optimization and/or cheese.

Or you can ask your DM if your can switch your sickening breath effect for lightning or cold breath effect.

Nightraiderx
2015-01-26, 08:14 AM
not all scouts are archers, you could very easily toss daggers at people, making you unique in that aspect.

Twf+ rapid shot dagger tossing halfling into it's special prestige class for throwing in races of the wild.

Hiro Quester
2015-01-26, 08:52 AM
How about a bard? The party could use an arcane caster. Play as buffer and battlefield control. People think bards suck, but properly built they can be awesome.

Esp.if you aim for sublime chord. Bard8/1or2levels of something fun that doesn't need to advance casting (war weaver, virtuoso, swiftblade)/SC2/more virtuoso or warweaver.

This can be the build that steps into whatever role the party needs. Esp if you grab versatile spells like shadow evocation, shadow Conjuration, limited wish...

The key is that your best abilities are in making others better at what they do. This means it's less of an intra-party balance issue for the DM.

And you have some access to heals,which will be useful when your melee cleric gets himself killed.

kpumphre
2015-01-26, 01:02 PM
No I like bards. Played one for about a year in a pathfinder game that just recently finished.

More looking for a concept than a specific class. Like rogue who pretends to be a monk.

LoyalPaladin
2015-01-26, 01:05 PM
We are 3level and I was playing DFA my Dm asked me to change classes as it was a bit unbalanced and he was having a hard time countering My breath weapon.
I feel like this is more of the DM's problem than a player problem. But if you feel the same, I guess it can't be helped.

You could always try Paladin. :smallwink:

Pay no heed to my screen name...

LooseCannoneer
2015-01-26, 01:26 PM
A -2 penalty on all attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks is powerful? I think the bar may be set too low on this one, but I'll do my best to give you something weaker.

Samurai from Complete Warrior can do the same thing but without the -2 to weapon damage rolls via the Intimidate skill from the shaken condition. But, he doesn't do anything special that anyone else can't do before he hits level 10, which is when he can use Intimidate on everyone within 30 feet instead of attacking. But, since you're only 3rd level, you'll be hitting guys with a halberd or a glaive most of the time and can add your Charisma bonus to your attack and damage rolls for 1 attack once a day. You have only one other class feature of note: You get Improved Initiative as a bonus feat at level 8. Everything else the class gives just makes you look goofy.

So, the DM is fine with a cleric using DMM, but we have to suggest things about as powerful as Samurai for other players?

kpumphre
2015-01-26, 01:30 PM
So, the DM is fine with a cleric using DMM, but we have to suggest things about as powerful as Samurai for other players?

No cause he told me he didn't like the class beforehand but would see how it worked out. I just want idea for a concept not a specific class

LoyalPaladin
2015-01-26, 01:38 PM
I just want idea for a concept not a specific class
Oh, well in that case... Pixie Rogue/Ranger has always sounded fun to me haha. It's all fun and games until someone insults the Pixie. Then they are dead for some inexplicable reason.

jjcrpntr
2015-01-26, 01:55 PM

I think he's ok with me doing that because it took me 4 feats to get it and right now it's basically allowing me to have shield of faith up all day.

I think the DM's issue is this is a class that he hasn't seen used before and he's not entirely comfortable with how it works/fits in to the campaign.

That said, i'm voting bard. We're a melee heavy team and our archer rolls like crap so the extra to attacks/dmg plus having some arcane magic would be great.

Karl Aegis
2015-01-26, 01:59 PM
With enough levels in Geomancer you can be, mechanically speaking, a Dire Tiger and still be a valid target for Enlarge Person. I believe 8 levels in either Wild Shape Ranger or Divine Bard and then 2 levels in Suel Arcanomach will qualify you for Geomancer.

Reprimand
2015-01-26, 02:30 PM
Voting rogue.

Every party needs a scoundrel.

You can provide flanking and deny dex if you take umd and get a wand a distract assailant or take improved feint

Or if your party is failing against armor constantly maybe warlock: touch attacks all day baby! Not op and not hard to play either.

kpumphre
2015-01-26, 02:43 PM
Voting rogue.

Every party needs a scoundrel.

You can provide flanking and deny dex if you take umd and get a wand a distract assailant or take improved feint

Or if your party is failing against armor constantly maybe warlock: touch attacks all day baby! Not op and not hard to play either.

No Warnock as dfa just got kicked out

Reprimand
2015-01-26, 02:49 PM
Oh sorry. I would definitely say rogue then with ranks in UMD.