View Full Version : Water Whip, good but not as good as intended

CrusaderJoe
2015-01-26, 12:08 AM
Thought I would share this.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/11/16/way-of-the-four-elements/

This makes a lot more sense.

silveralen
2015-01-26, 07:07 AM
Actually, water whip is better than intended. Wasn't meant to be a bonus action, which is a shame because it was actually useful as a BA.

Open hand monk: Flurry for one ki, 14-22 damage, with up to two riders from a set of three.

Water whip: 2 ki for 17 damage average, with a rider single rider.

The fact water whip actually gave a unique effect it is kinda hard to find and was ranged managed to justify the higher ki cost, but if it takes the whole turn... nope. Just toss it in the heap.

CrusaderJoe
2015-01-26, 08:50 AM
Actually, water whip is better than intended. Wasn't meant to be a bonus action, which is a shame because it was actually useful as a BA.

Open hand monk: Flurry for one ki, 14-22 damage, with up to two riders from a set of three.

Water whip: 2 ki for 17 damage average, with a rider single rider.

The fact water whip actually gave a unique effect it is kinda hard to find and was ranged managed to justify the higher ki cost, but if it takes the whole turn... nope. Just toss it in the heap.

Yeah, my title had an error, the timing of the post says it all.

But I'm totally going to put my +1 Charisma to use and say that my original title was made that way on purpose. In order to get more people thinking "omg water whip was sussposed to be better???" and thus have them take a gander at the tweet from the sage advice site. :smallcool: haha

The tweet says it works fine as a bonus action, which I agree with, but I thought it was useful to note that Water Whip looks to be an upgraded Thorn Whip and an action.